Friday, July 15, 2016

Baby Monitor Tales

Hey, everyone!

I have been swallowed whole by a mass of unexpected revisions, but fortunately, Tamara Narayan is here today to prevent My Pet Blog from becoming one of those deserted desert landscapes filled with nothing but bleached animal bones and tumbleweed.

Thank you, Tamara!

Take it away!





When my daughter was a baby, loud puppy barks woke me one morning. We did not have a dog. I couldn’t believe my husband would get one without consulting me. Furious, I ran downstairs and found . . . nothing. I was hearing our neighbor's dog through the baby monitor.

Pretty funny, huh? Sadly, more sinister things can happen with shared frequencies. One couple watched their monitor in horror as a woman walked to their crib and removed their baby. Luckily the images came from a neighbor’s house. Other parents have notified the police after hearing or seeing children being abused on a shared frequency.

Source: Phillips Communications; Screenshot from Phillips Smart Baby Monitor digital innovation


Today’s media-savvy parents can use an internet-based monitor, but they risk getting hacked. For example, a Minnesota couple found pictures of their baby online taken from the monitor's camera. A San Francisco couple’s 3-year-old was scared to sleep alone because the “phone” would talk to him. Just an overactive imagination, right?


Source: mrplough; creepy baby monitor picture


Nope. One night his mom heard the monitor say, “Wake up little boy, daddy’s looking for you.” When the parents rushed into their child's room, the monitor's video camera moved on its own to track them, and the voice said, “Look someone’s coming into view.” (Source

Hackers screaming your child awake or an accidentally shared frequency can be nerve-wracking, but at least there’s an explanation. Here are two spooky tales from a Reddit thread:


Source: Matt Bargar; watching the baby monitor


A babysitter spotted a dark shadow by her charge’s crib on the monitor and heard whispering. Investigating the room, she found nothing. Later she questioned the dad, and he cautioned her not to tell his wife, having seen this shadow himself. As the baby girl got older, she spoke of a “friend” that she would miss terribly once the family moved. When her mother invited this imaginary friend to go with them, her daughter said her friend couldn't leave the house. (Raise your hand if this reminds you of Jodie in The Amityville Horror.)


Source: Consumerist Dot Com, hissing cat


Another fellow’s cat would hiss and arch her back at a certain corner of his baby’s room. Whispers were also heard through the monitor. A week after the family stopped using this room, the dad heard a voice on the monitor say, “It’s okay. I’m leaving now.” And the strange occurrences stopped.

__________

And now for the plug. Here's a poem/blurb from my short story Monitor, one of four spooky tales in Heart Stopper and Other Stories available now at Amazon.com.




Peppermint, mice, and a cold-as-winter voice 
A mother must make a desperate choice. 
Heeding her instincts to save the child 
What’s lost instead, the pain won’t be mild.

Perched on a mountain with a view to die for, Laura and Paul Alderson have it all: new home, new baby, and new challenges. It’s the American dream, but when the baby monitor whispers urgent warnings to Laura about the garage and the safety of her infant son, her new life takes a nightmarish turn.

_________

Did you know internet monitors and cameras could be hacked? Did you use a baby monitor with your kids? Anything strange or spooky ever happen?

Web Sources:






16 comments:

  1. Those last two stories are creepy. Although having your baby's photo posted online after the monitor has been hacked is even scarier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. Creeeeeepyyyyyyyy. I actually got goose bumps. Thanks for sharing and totally freaking me out. Good thing I didn't use baby monitors with my kids. *shiver* (BTW, congrats on the book, Tamara!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for letting me take over your blog M.J. I love creepin' people out, um, with my writing, of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What people will hack... Must be careful with that sort of thing.

    No baby monitor stories (no babies), but my niece and eldest nephew tell a story of one of those taking toys that continued to talk to them after the batteries were removed...

    ReplyDelete
  5. No interesting baby monitor tales this time, but yours were fun to read. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any similar stories to share, but I loved the creepout, gooseflesh raising stories you told here.

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those two stories gave me the chills!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard of issues with frequencies and hacking, but wow, those last two are spooky!

    Yvonne V

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tamara, you are everywhere today!!! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never used a monitor with any of my kids but it was years before I went to sleep with my bedroom door closed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've lived in a number of haunted houses. When I was really young, we had a ghost we called Charlie. He would rearrange the furniture, take things out of the fridge, and rock me to sleep in my crib--until the day Mom said she'd had enough and made us move.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes! Those were Halloween worthy stories. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So scare!
    -----------
    --------------
    i'm providing thay man hinh xiaomi service, special thay man hinh xiaomi mi4. Contact with me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice blog. You people can take help from the other Pet Grooming Tips to take proper care of your lovely pets and for making things really interesting and interactive for your pets. This can simply make things better for you and your pets.

    ReplyDelete