Friday, June 24, 2016

Joss Is Boss: Top Ten Characters

Yesterday was Joss Whedon's birthday.

(Happy Birthday, Joss!)

If you've read this blog for any length of time, you will know that I worship at the altar of Joss Whedon, so his birthday is, like, a high holiday at my house.

As such, I have decided to create yet another Joss Whedon-themed post.

Actually, a whole slew of them, because I couldn't decide on just one topic. So, there will be another Joss-themed post on Monday. Maybe Wednesday, too. I haven't decided yet. But yeah, there will probably be three. Or four...

Today's post, however, was inspired by this particular tweet:




And I found I couldn't respond to it because I couldn't pick just one favorite Whedon character. And seriously, who could? So I decided to do what I love to do...create a top ten list of my favorite Whedon characters.

And before we begin, just know that all of these characters are Whedon originals, so as much as I love them, no Avengers will make an appearance on this list. But I'm still going to use this gif because I love it, and it's too good not to use:


Here we go...(Man, this is hard.)



10. Jayne Cobb

From: Firefly and The Big Damn Movie, Serenity

Favorite Quotes: 

"Shiny. Let's be bad guys."

"I'll be in my bunk."



9. Hoban Washburne

From: Firefly and The Big Damn Movie, Serenity

Favorite Quotes:

"Ah! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

"I can be terse. Once, in flight school, I was laconic."

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."



8. Kaylee Frye

From: Firefly and The Big Damn Movie, Serenity

Favorite Quotes:

"Yes, sir, Captain Tightpants."

"The hell with this—I'm gonna live!"



7. Winifred "Fred" Burkle/Illyria

From: Angel

Favorite Quotes:

"Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes, we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whup it. 'Cause destiny's just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, 'You're evitable!'"

"I am not the damsel in distress!"

"I am feeling grief for him. I can't seem to control it. I wish to do more violence."



6. Rupert Giles

From: Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Favorite Quotes:

"The earth is doomed!"

"I used to be a highly-respected watcher. Now I'm a wounded dwarf with the mystical powers of a doily."




5. Willow Rosenberg

From: Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Favorite Quotes:

"I'm a blood-sucking fiend! Look at my outfit!"

"I don't care if it is an orgy of death. There's still such a thing as a napkin."

"You two are the two who are the two. I'm the other one."

"Bored now."



4. Dr. Horrible

From: Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog

Favorite Quotes:

"The status is not quo. The world's a mess, and I just need to rule it."

"What a crazy random happenstance!"

"I'm Dr. Horrible! I have a PhD in horribleness!"



3. River Tam

From: Firefly and The Big Damn Movie, Serenity

Favorite Quotes:

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

"I tore these out of your symbol, and they turned into paper."

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."



2. Captain Malcolm Reynolds

From: Firefly and The Big Damn Movie, Serenity

Favorite Quotes:

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"

"Oh, I'm gonna go to the special hell."

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."

"I aim to misbehave."



1. Buffy Anne Summers

From: Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Favorite Quotes:

"If the apocalypse comes, beep me."

"I'm the thing monsters have nightmares about."

"The hardest thing to do in this world is to live in it."


So that's my list...

Are you a fellow Whedonite? If so, which characters would make your list? Tune in on Monday when I discuss my favorite episodes penned and directed by the man, the myth, the legend, Joss Whedon.



Thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend, everyone.

27 comments:

  1. Good choices! Reynolds would top my list.
    My favorite Wash quote (in response to Reynold's question 'Define interesting?') is 'Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly considered putting Mal at the top of my list, too, but ultimately went with Buffy because she was the reason I became a Whedonite at all.

      And I adore that exchange between Mal and Wash. I would've used it, too, but I decided on this list to only feature quotes that didn't require another character to set it up. But yeah, those two have some brilliant exchanges. Maybe I should do a post all about those...

      Delete
  2. All of mine would be Buffy and Angel characters LOL. I never tire of those two shows. And Buffy would be my #1 character for sure. I think my favorite quote/scene of hers was Angelus saying "No weapons, no friends, take that away and what's left? Buffy: Me.
    I want to cheer every time. Love that girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I cheer at that part all the time, too. And it will very likely make an appearance when I talk about my favorite Joss-penned episodes.

      Delete
  3. I love Wash. It was so sad when he died in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it really was. I usually have to look away when I get to that part in the movie.

      Delete
  4. Should you have just said "The entire cast of Firefly"? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was honestly surprised they managed to only claim 50% of the list.

      Delete
  5. Is it bad that I remember all those quotes? And probably have an inkling of the scenes they belong in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given that I only had to look up one of those quotes to check for accuracy, I would say not. :)

      Delete
  6. Hmmmm . . . .I might just need to watch Firefly again this summer. Great list. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. No Dollhouse or S.H.I.E.L.D, huh?

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had done a Top 20, Topher Brink, Melinda May, and/or Leo Fitz would have made an appearance.

      Delete
  7. Oh, such a great list. Giles is wonderful! Love him so much! I think Captain Reynolds would be my Number One though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did seriously consider putting Captain Tightpants at the top of the list—because he's that brilliant—but in the end, I gave the spot to Buffy because without her character making me worship Joss Whedon, I wouldn't have even Firefly a glance.

      Delete
  8. It would be hard for me to come up with a top ten list. I love so many of his amazing characters. I'd put Malcolm towards the top too because he was a wonderfully written character and Nathan Fillion was so perfect in the role. I think Angel would make my list too although I'm not sure who I'd bump from your list since I love, love, love everyone you picked too. It's a tough call. Maybe we need a top 20 list instead?

    WeekendsInMaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly considered a Top 20, for that very reason. I can't even fathom that Angel and Spike or Shepherd Book or Zoe Washburne (among others) aren't on this list—and I'm the one who made the list. A tough call, indeed.

      Delete
  9. Oh Giles. I do love him. It's always nice to see some Whedon love. And I'm glad you included Dr. Horrible in your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to include Dr. Horrible! I have all of his songs memorized!

      Delete
  10. Damn I miss those shows, especially Firefly of which there isn't nearly enough of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur with that! Firefly was ended far too soon.

      Delete
  11. I will always love Whedon for bringing us Firefly and Serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, oh my. I don't even know where to begin. Joss creates the most awesome characters. Even in a short like Dr. Horrible, he created characters I will remember all my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the minor characters in Dr. Horrible are memorable. It's amazing.

      Delete
  13. I don't know exactly who would be in my personal top ten, but interestingly enough, my list would not contain your #1. Both she and Giles would be out, with consideration given instead to Oz, Anya, Spike, Drusilla, Book, and Topher, among others. (As 5 of those 6 show, I'm big on sarcasm and/or crazy.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I would go with 1. Buffy, 2. Spike, 3. Willow. The next one at No: 4 would be Nathan Fillion as that evil priest, Caleb. 5. Dr. Horrible; 6. Malcolm Reynolds, 7. Saffron (from Firefly - she was great), 8. River Tam, 9. The Operative (from Serenity)10. Faith (BTVS).
    Joss is a great story teller. He always seems to say so much while saying so little.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such an impossible task!

    Although...I think maybe my favorite is Wash. I just love him so much.

    ReplyDelete