Monday, June 27, 2016

Joss Is Boss: Best Episodes (Part One)

Happy Monday, everyone!

Last Friday, I shared my Top Ten favorite Joss Whedon characters (an incredibly hard list to make, by the way.)

Today, I shall be continuing my ode to Joss Whedon by taking a look at my favorite Joss-penned episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly. (Spoiler alert: it's mostly a BtVS and Firefly list.)

Sorry, Dollhouse and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D...you didn't make the cut this time around. Better luck next time. But don't feel too bad. Even Angel only managed to get one episode in the Top Ten.

This particular subject will be broken up into two parts because it's a super long post with just a few listed here. If I put all them in one post, that would just be way too long. Part Two will be posted on Wednesday.

Ready to begin?



10. Family (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, season five)

What Happens: The episode where Tara officially becomes one of the Scoobies, and that whole 'is Tara evil' thing is resolved.

Why It Makes The List: I don't know that this episode would appear on many lists of Buffy's best episodes, but it's always been one of mine. And when I settle in for a re-watch, I always make time to watch a certain scene toward the end of this episode.

Favorite Scene: The aforementioned favorite scene at the end of the episode:




9. Our Mrs. Reynolds (Firefly, season one)

What Happens: Mal finds himself married to Saffron, who turns out to be a con artist looking to steal the Serenity out from under the crew.

Why It Makes The List: It's really freaking funny.

Favorite Scenes: I couldn't find any good YouTube clips, so you get typed-out quotes instead. And a few of this episode's quotes were already used in my post on Friday, so I skipped using them a second time.

Shepherd Book: If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

Mal: How drunk was I last night?
Jayne: I don't know. I passed out.

Saffron: I've made myself ready for you.
Mal: Let's ride on past the past where you explain exactly what that means.

Mal: Oh, I'm goin' to the special hell.


8. Hush (Buffy The Vampire Slayer, season four)

What Happens: The Gentlemen (fairy tale monsters) come to town and steal the voices of everyone in Sunnydale. This is the episode for which Joss received an Emmy nomination, which is funny because critics always lauded Joss for his skill at writing dialogue, and as was previously mentioned, this is the episode where none of the characters can speak for the majority of the show.

Why It Makes The List: It's said that Joss wrote this episode as a challenge to himself. He wanted to see if he was a good enough writer to craft an episode largely lacking in dialogue. I love that. Plus, this episode is super creepy, and when I first watched it, I kind of forgot that I was still able to speak. I love that, too.

Favorite Scene:




7. The Message (Firefly, season one)

What Happens: In one of the unaired episodes, Mal and Zoe attempt to fulfill a dying request from an old army buddy. Also, Jayne's mother sends him a hat.

Why It's On The List: This is probably another one of those unusual choices, but this episode is funny and sad, and the end gets me every time. I really do love it. Plus, Joss makes a cameo appearance in this episode. Also, because of this episode, Jayne Cobb has an amazing hat. And so do I. (Translation: My mom made me a Jayne hat, even though she did not understand my obsession with it. I heart my mom.)

Favorite Scene: I know I just said that the ending gets me every time, but I'm going to share another scene from this episode. One that makes me laugh:





6. Restless (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, season four)

What Happens: The gang, exhausted after defeating the season's Big Bad, decide to unwind with a movie night, but end up falling asleep. Each of them has wild and crazy and dark dreams as a unknown danger stalks them in the dream world.

Why It's On The List: This episode is just all kinds of crazy and creative. There's foreshadowing galore (Be back before dawn...) and Oz puts in his final Buffyverse appearance, and there's also just some random guy with the cheese walking around. Plus, Giles sings.

Favorite Scene: In which Giles sings...




All right, folks, that's all for me today. Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to tune in next time (Wednesday) when I reveal my Top Five Joss-penned episodes because I know you just can't wait to find out what they are...


31 comments:

  1. No surprise the episode with the hat made the cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? But it would still have made the cut even without the hat. :)

      Delete
  2. It's difficult to pick a favorite Firefly episode. Jayne's hat is special. That show could make you laugh one minute and being sad the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love Joss for that so very much.

      Delete
  3. I hadn't watched much of Buffy or Firefly... :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then me constantly posting about them must be very boring for you. Sorry...But thanks for coming by anyway! :)

      Delete
  4. The Family scene is such a good one--all the feels! Love all of these episodes and definitely feel the urge to rewatch them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's been hard to get anything else done since I've started compiling this list. Too much temptation to watch each and every episode. Of course, I have that problem every day. Hmmm.

      Delete
  5. Love that Family scene! And Hush is definitely one of the creepiest episodes ever. Can't wait to see your next five!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hush was exceptionally creepy. And yet, still quite funny. So figure. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I've never watched any of these series… I'm woefully behind the times when it comes to television. Movies are a whole different story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whereas I am woefully behind the times when it comes to movies. :)

      Delete
  7. Family's the only one of the five I didn't recall either from its name or a picture of cheese. Clearly I need to brush up on my knowledge of the Whedonverse. I shall begin forthwith... after I get myself some cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 10. God, I love Spike
    9. God, I miss this show!
    8. Your mom made you that hat? I am so jealous.
    7. I think I might be a little in love with Giles

    Which reminds me of the episode where all the adults go a little crazy and Buffy's mom and Giles have a little private party...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you mean the Band Candy episode. And I love that one, too. It's so funny! That episode was written by Jane Espenson, which is why it didn't make this particular list. But it's still so much fun.

      Delete
  9. Oh, fun list! (I especially love seeing "Restless" included!) There are so many amazing episodes in the Whedonverse, I can't imagine how difficult it must've been for you to narrow it down to just ten. Can't wait for part two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't lie...it took a while. But working it out was an excellent use of my time. :)

      Delete
  10. How can you narrow down Firefly episodes? I mean, really? I can get sucked into just about any one of them. (I still haven't made a Jayne hat. One of these days...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I can absolutely get sucked into any of them. But what I did was make a list of all of the Joss-penned episodes (of which there were five, not including the Big Damn Movie), and then figure out of those episodes are my go-to episodes, the ones I always go to when I only have time to watch one episode and not the entire series. And there were three of those. Buffy has the majority of the list, but I think it was always going to be like that. There was more from which to choose. :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for another great walk down memory lane. I love all the scenes you chose . . . and so many others! Hush was an incredibly creative episode and the Gentlemen were truly terrifying.

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they really were. They'd definitely be at the top of a list of Buffy's all-time scariest foes.

      Delete
  12. Fun list! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your list. I think I'm entertained by Joss Whedon, but I don't see him as being more remarkable than some of the other creative types (like George R.R. Martin and Robert Kirkman).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's now I feel about Robert Kirkman. GRRM is proving to be pretty kick-ass thus far, though. :)

      Delete
  14. Oh, PLEASE tell me Jaynestown is on your list!

    :-)

    I LOVE all of these. Hush is one of my favorite episodes of television EVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaynestown isn't on this particular list because it wasn't written by Joss Whedon. Ben Edlund was the genius behind that episode.

      Delete