Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Halfway Point

We're halfway through June, which means it's almost halfway through the year. (Fear that.)

Which means it's about that time where I like to check in on those goals I set way back in January (seriously, how is it June already?!?) to see how I'm doing, and how much further I have to go.

I've been in a bit of a funk lately, so I'm hoping that reviewing my goals will help me get back my focus and drive.

First up, the writing goals...

1. Publish Second Nature

So, I honestly don't know how this goal is going. I mean, I'm working on it, but I'm about three months behind where I had hoped to be at this time. I did a lot of editing—a lot of editing—and the book is in the hands of my beta readers. They're still reading, but no one's emailed me yet saying that this is the worst book they've ever encountered, so that's good, right?

I don't know how my editing delays at the start of the year will end up affecting the timeline, but I continue to move forward. And some days, I even feel kind of okay about it.

2. Complete first draft of Full Circle


Sample note page
Full Circle is the third intended title of my fantasy series, and with its predecessor making a slow march toward the finish line, this book is poised to become my main writing focus, which means my main obsession. As I said in January, I had no plan for it because certain unplanned events in Second Nature destroyed that plan. So since Second Nature went off to the betas, I've been working on developing a new plan. It's been marginally successful. As you may have seen on various social media sites yesterday, I'm up to thirty-fives pages of notes. It's far from a complete plan and contains far too many uses of the phrase "so this happens somehow; I don't know how yet, but it happens" but it's a start. I even wrote a possible ending that left me doing this:



I have absolutely no illusions that I stand a chance at actually completing this goal this year, but I'd settle for having a plan that works.

The Reading/Blogging Goals


1. Read 50 books this year

As of this post, I have read 23 of 50 books. Not bad. A little behind where I wanted to be, but that's how you know it's my goal, right?

2. Be better about reviewing the books I read

I don't think I'm really achieving this goal yet. I will do better in the back half of the year. Probably.

3. Be better about updating My Pet Blog

I really dropped the blogging ball last year, so the intent behind this goal was to become a more consistent blogger. I wanted to post on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays consistently throughout the year. And though I missed a few days here and there, I thought I was doing all right with this goal. Until the end of May when the funk began, and I ended up taking an extended and unplanned blogging break.

The Fitness Goals


How I look when I run.
Only not as cool.
1. Walk, run, or bike at least 750 miles

I got off to a slow start, but I've currently logged 292 miles. I remain optimistic that I will crush those remaining miles. With gusto, even.

2. Eat healthier

Well, considering I ate four pop-tarts and two pudding cups while writing this post, there's probably still some work that could be done here. Perhaps later I shall eat an apple.

36 comments:

  1. You need some smaller goals for Second Nature so that big one doesn't loom over you. You are making progress though!
    Now, hide the Pop Tarts. I'd tell you to go for a run, but I know where you live, and it's bloody hot and humid right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Second Nature goal is broken up into smaller chunks. I just posted the one, big ultimate goal for brevity's sake.

      And I'd have to have someone else hide the Pop Tarts. If I hide them, I'll know right where to find them, and I think I've more than proven that I have zero willpower.

      And yes. It really is bloody hot and humid here right now. Of course, I feel that way pretty much year-round. :)

      Delete
  2. I think you are doing great. 35 pages f notes is nothing to be ashamed of. That is good. You are moving forward and that is what counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do seem to be moving forward. I won't be breaking any land speed records or anything like that, but I am moving forward. That's certainly something. :)

      Delete
  3. 35 pages of notes is a lot. Now that the second one is done, you'll be able to map out their third one better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I think I just need to accept that the original plan is irretrievably lost, make my peace with that, and then move on to Plan B. Or C or D, or whatever I'm up to at this point. :)

      Delete
  4. I can't believe we're already in the middle of June, either. Time really needs to slow down!

    And thirty-five pages of notes? Wow! (I can relate far too well to the "this happens somehow" type of note-taking...LOL.) That's awesome how you already have a possible ending in mind, too. That always helps make plotting easier, at least in my experience. Best of luck with Full Circle and all your other goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say 'possible ending' because it popped into my head the other night when I was note-taking, and there was a moment of, "Oooh! That's cool!" followed by "OMG, I can't end a book like that...can I?" But now that it's in my head and my notebook, I can't see me forgetting it any time soon.

      Delete
  5. Ah, yes, the funk. I know the feeling. But it sounds like you're getting back on track with everything, and that's great. Keep at it!

    And try not to melt. I exercise indoors or outside early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly exercise indoors, too. My biggest problem on the fitness front (aside from the steady intake of Pop Tarts...) is just doing it consistently. I have a good day or two, then I, you know, don't.

      Delete
  6. LOL! I'm about three months behind on my book goals too, but there were a few unexpected (BIG) things that happened this year. Like the new job. And the car accident. *shrugs* I tell you what, it feels good to be back on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those unexpected big things can really throw a wrench into the works, can't they? Sadly, I have no such justification. Just me getting in my own way. :)

      Delete
  7. 35 pages of notes. I think that's awesome, and it shows your dedication. Good luck with your goals. I'm sure your betas are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are making progress. Don't poot on that! You can do it. Keep on pushing forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making progress. It's just far slower than I would like. I need to figure out how to be okay with that.

      Delete
  9. It sounds like progress is being made. Slow progress. But progress. That's something. No need to beat yourself up over what isn't getting done. At least those edits (which turned out to be more challenging than you anticipated) got done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One would think that by now I would have learned that the edits are always going to be more challenging than I anticipate. Next time, perhaps, I shall allow more time for that part of the process. :)

      Delete
  10. I still can't believe it's June. The other day I wanted to say it was March (not weather-wise thankfully). One step at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the other day, I had a moment where I thought it was January. I have no idea why. Probably because it's always sunny and hot here, so I can't tell the seasons apart anymore. :)

      Delete
  11. I echo everyone else on the progress and notes. But I can relate to how you're feeling. I started off the year with so many ambitious goals and, well....

    I had to laugh at the running gif. I make that kid look like an Olympian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I totally make him look like an Olympian, too. :)

      Delete
  12. Lol a lot of my notes have comments like yours. Something big happens here, is a common sentence to read. It feels okay to skip it when you're zooming through, but at some point you have to tackle it. Good luck with it all - 35 pages is a lot, but it won't feel like that when you're editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that if I focus on first writing the scenes not containing "insert plot here"-type notes that I can think of whatever needs to be thought of by the time I get to the rest of the scenes. But more likely I'll be standing in a corner somewhere, banging my head against the wall. :)

      Delete
  13. It's the halfway point already? Have I even done anything yet? How depressing. And you're not doing too bad. You're making progress. I think your books just always end up being more complicated than you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I guess I'm not doing too badly; I'm just a little irritated at that 'three months behind' part of the first goal.

      And yeah, I think my books really do end up being more complicated than I expect. Perhaps I shall learn better for the next one?

      Delete
  14. Thanks for your awesome honesty. I think I would be too cowardly to post at the halfway point through the month. Sometimes, I scramble the last week trying to somehow finish all my goals in five days . . . ha! It is good to check in on our goals, though. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember one December a few years back, I ended up making this big push to get my reading goal accomplished, I went through and read a lot of graphic novels because they were short. And even with their help, I just barely got over the goal line.

      I hope not to be doing that this year. :)

      Delete
  15. Sorry to hear about your funk. It all sounds like solid progress to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This year really has gone quickly. I'm in a similar boat as you, going "where did the time go?" But it sounds like you made progress on nearly every one of your goals. That's nothing to sneeze at! Best of luck with the other half of the year.

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh, Don't remind me that the year is half over. I haven't even looked at the goals I made back in January. You're probably doing better than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For your sake, I hope that you find you're wrong... :)

      Delete