Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Endless Music

Today My Pet Blog belongs to author extraordinaire, Misha Gerrick, as part of her blog tour for her latest release, Endless. She's here to talk about a topic that is, as anyone who read any of my A to Z posts last month would know, very near and dear to my heart...

Take it away, Misha!

Music of Endless

I know some writers start putting together mood boards and collages once they start working on a new project. It must be a good way to connect to the story and let your mind go to find what you want to write.

Unfortunately for me, I don’t currently have a special office to put up a mood board for all thirteen of my currently ongoing projects. But instead, I do sound-tracks.

I actually found that, once I have a playlist together, it’s easier to get a feel for the story I’m writing. I guess music evokes emotions better for me than images.

To give you an idea, this song sounds like Aleria. And this sounds like Nick. And Ryan

All in all, the sounds of music or the lyrics or both just trigger something for me, and I use it to get into the mode I need to write and edit.

So I use music everywhere, from my rough draft to every stage of editing except for when I’m reading out loud. When I’m trying to “hear” what I’ve written, I can’t have music playing or it jars with the sentences’ rhythms.

Anyone else use music like this? What’s your favorite song for the story you’re writing?



First, do no harm.Blake Ryan swore that oath to become a doctor. Ironic, given that he spent most of his thousand year life sucking souls out of other immortals. 

Things are different now. Using regular shots of morphine to keep his inner monster at bay, Ryan has led a quiet life since the Second World War. His thrills now come from saving lives, not taking them. 

Until a plane crash brings Aleria into his hospital. Her life is vibrant. Crack to predators like him. She’s the exact sort of person they would hunt, and thanks to a severe case of amnesia, she’s all but defenseless. 

Leaving Aleria vulnerable isn’t an option, but protecting her means unleashing his own inner monster. Which is a problem, because his inner monster wants her dead most of all.




About the Author


Misha Gerrick lives near Cape Town, South Africa, and can usually be found staring at her surroundings while figuring out her next book.

If you’d like to see what Misha’s up to at the moment, you can find her on these social networks:

27 comments:

  1. For as much as I love music, I have never tried to listen to it while I write. I think I get too distracted by the lyrics, so I would have to try instrumental. Love that you have 13 WIP!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instrumentals are good for focus. :-)

      Delete
  2. I do that too--write to certain soundtracks. I'll adjust them by book, but I find there are certain soundtracks that keep me writing no matter what. For me it's more about mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I have certain songs that I love to write to no matter what.

      Those songs are also in their own playlist, and if I have a new idea and I want to start writing, that playlist is what I listen to while I'm figuring out the actual playlist.

      It contains a lot of Muse and 30 Seconds to Mars.

      Delete
  3. How interesting! I've never heard of those bands. I'm one of the few writers that rarely listens to music and definitely not when I'm writing. What I hear most is what my six-year-old listens to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't put together an actual soundtrack, but sometimes there is one certain song that works. Otherwise, I'm just playing whatever style of metal that fits with the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that, but would keep getting interrupted when the sound jarred with what I was writing. Sadly I can't write scenes in three to four minutes. :-P

      Delete
  5. I can't write to music. I get too distracted by it if there's lyrics, and if there's not, then the music might inspire a scene in a different story than the one I'm working on. Plus, I'm just bad and matching music to stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yeah sounds like music would not keep you focused.

      Delete
  6. I love to put together soundtracks for my books. It really helps to listen to them to get in the mood to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's just an awesome feeling when the right song comes up.

      Delete
  7. Music is used in movies to evoke mood.

    I don't do book soundtracks. I don't listen to much music at all. Which is kind of funny, as I was almost a music minor, I can read music, and I used to play a couple musical instruments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use music exactly the same way. :-)

      Delete
  8. This book sounds AWESOME. Great voice in the blurb, Misha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love music, but I haven't used it in the way you described. Sounds like a good idea! Wishing you all the best, Misha!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. Misha... I love listening to music before and when I write... it definitely can get me in a certain mood xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah music definitely has that effect. :-)

      Delete
  11. I enjoy listening to music and I never thought of connecting particular songs to characters. I like that idea, but I would listen beforehand because I need silence when I'm writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe just as a way to get into the mood? :-)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for letting me visit, M.J.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come back anytime! I love your music selections! I may steal one for my own playlists...

      Delete
  13. I find my characters have their own taste in music. I have two characters that were created due inspiration from a song and when I hear I feel them. Great post.
    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My characters also tend to have their own music tastes. :-D

      Delete
  14. I use classical music to block out ambient sound when I have to write in public, but I can't listen to anything with words I understand and keep my focus. I *do* however LOVE the idea of finding songs that remind me of my characters. What fun!

    ReplyDelete