Monday, April 25, 2016

U

Welcome back to the A to Z Challenge on My Pet Blog!

Click on the link for a complete list of participants.

My theme this month is Soundtrack Songs. Throughout April, I will be sharing with you selections from the playlists I create to accompany my novels, the lyrics that landed the song on the list.


Song#1—Until We Go Down by Ruelle

This song hasn't been officially assigned to any playlist, but it will either be a part of Second Nature or Full Circle because it so totally fits a certain character of mine.



Key Lyrics:

And I feel it running through my veins/ And I need that fire just to know that I'm awake




Song #2—Untitled by Trespassers William

This song belongs on multiple playlists: Effigy, Full Circle, and Better Than None. You know, all of my unhappiest love stories... This song is also known as "What Could I Say" but on the CD on which I first encountered this song, it was called "Untitled" so I'm using it for today's post.




Key Lyrics:

Why am I so tired?/ Exhausted in my love/ water in my eyes/ why am I not enough?/ I told you everything I knew/ I tore my pockets out and gave it all to you/ You hold my throat like a violin/ I never want to kiss again 

and

Now I'm so afraid/ to push you from my mind/ like the fear of forgetting/ what light is like/ when you close your eyes/ How can you stare?/ How can you sit/ while I'm trying to tear you up/ and I'm almost good at it

24 comments:

  1. I love the lyrics of the second song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trespassers William always has beautiful lyrics.

      Delete
  2. Your poor characters. You really put them through it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really do. I imagine one of these days, they will band together and kill me in my sleep because of it.

      Delete
  3. That is an exhausting love all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certain my characters would concur. :)

      Delete
  4. I love the lyrics but not a fan of the voices in either song.

    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lyrics are almost always what sells me on a song.

      Delete
  5. I wonder what prompted the change in song title?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing it was because they have a second song called Untitled (and was, indeed, the only one I could find when hunting for a video for the song I actually wanted to feature), so maybe the group changed the first later on, so as to avoid confusion?

      Delete
  6. I'm a huge fan of unhappy love stories (yes, I know I'm odd LOL) so these lyrics are really excellent. I've learned of so many new-to-me songs thanks to your theme this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm obviously a fan of unhappy love stories, too. Guess we can be odd together. :)

      Delete
  7. That second song is hauntingly lovely. It kind of fits my current novella too - just by the sadness it's provoked in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It provokes sadness in me, too, which is exactly why I listen to it before I write certain sad scenes. It helps get me in the right frame of mind.

      Delete
  8. Best tip for falling in love: don't do it in an MJ story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This just may be my most favorite comment ever.

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed the lyrics (and music) in both songs, but particularly in the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the first song doesn't really have a lot in the way of lyrics, while Trespassers William's lyrics are all about the poetry.

      Delete
  10. Very nice songs. Sad, but nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad songs for sad characters. Maybe someday I should write a happy story with happy characters.

      Delete
  11. Ooh good lyrics. "I need that fire just to know I'm awake." I like that, where you don't know if the fire is internal, like drive, ambition, passion or external, like pain.

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that part, too. You know, that there could multiple interpretations. And that the song works with the character on multiple levels.

      Delete