Monday, April 4, 2016

C

Welcome to Day Three of the A to Z Challenge!

(Click on the link for a complete list of participants.)

My theme this year is Soundtrack Songs. Each post will feature selections from the playlists I create to accompany my novels.


Song #1—Coming Undone by Korn

This is another Second Nature song, in case the first two days of this challenge didn't drive home well enough that this is about as far from a happy story as a book can get. I want to give a shout-out to both my sister-in-law, Alison, who suggested this song after I said, "Hey, I'm looking for a dark, angry song. Know anything?"



Key lyrics:

Keep holding on/ when my brain's ticking like a bomb/ Guess the black thoughts have come/ again to get me

and

I'm trying to hold it together/ Head is lighter than a feather/ Looks like I'm not getting better/ Not getting better

Song #2—Courage or the Fall by Civil Twilight

This is a Full Circle song, because so far that story isn't shaping up to be any happier than its predecessors. (I swear there are some happier songs coming up later on the month!)



Key lyrics:

Man wasn't made to live alone/ That's why I have my enemies/ Whenever I close my eyes/ They're all I can see


Still no accompanying scenes...I swear, those are coming, too!

Thanks for stopping by today. See you next time!

40 comments:

  1. Fantastic songs. Loved the Korn one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It has been known to happen from time to time. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I don't really know any of their other songs. Maybe I should look them up.

      Delete
  4. The second song is absolutely beautiful - such a haunting tune.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, and the lyrics are exactly why it made the list.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's very pretty. Much more mellow than the first.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of Civil Twilight before, but I'm really loving that song now! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of them either until I stumbled across this song.

      Delete
  7. love the new artists you are sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, my speakers aren't working, but the lyrics are cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm all about the lyrics before anything else.

      Delete
  9. I have Coming Undone on my iTunes. You have good taste.

    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I honestly thought between Marilyn Manson and Korn, everyone would be running for the hills. :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. There are some less deep lyrics coming up this month.

      Delete
  11. Never heard of Civil Twilight. What a fantastic band name!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Music is such a good way to feel yourself into the mood! ~liz http:www.lizbrownleepoet.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! The angrier the better! Well, it always helps me when I'm writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A month of music. Such a great theme!

    Julie Valerie #1613 on the A to Z Challenge list
    http://www.julievalerie.com/thesaurus-tyrannosaurus-b/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to be going all right so far. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  15. Unfortunately, I'm a bit limited when it comes to music so I don't know a lot of the songs you are highlighting, but I love that you connect them to scenes in your novels. I've done playlists for projects I've done in the past, and it really is a great connection.

    @WeekendsInMaine
    Weekends in Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spend entirely too much time searching for songs. I really do. Finding perfect songs for my playlists is an obsession. I do love that connection because a song and this thing I wrote.

      Delete
  16. I like the lyrics to Coming Undone. Definitely dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which made it perfect for this case. :)

      Delete
  17. Angry songs, eh. Well, whatever works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only for the angry scenes. The rest aren't so bad. Maybe...

      Delete
  18. The Korn song is the only one I recognize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think the Civil Twilight song is nearly as widely available as anything Korn does. I had to work hard to track their song down. Korn...not so much.

      Delete
  19. I love Korn... My daughter, son and I have tickets for July. The music has so much energy. It's all good.

    http://whenkateblogs.blogspot.com/2016/04/d-dog.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know anything else they do. When I have some downtime again, I'll be sure to check out their discography.

      Delete