Wednesday, April 6, 2016

A to Z and The IWSG (A Double Feature Post)

It's Double Feature day today on My Pet Blog, as I'm participating in both the A to Z Challenge and the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Normally, I try to combine these things into one super post, but today I just have one super long post. Please don't feel obligated to read the entire post. Instead, feel free to scroll down to the section that does interest you (provided there is one, of course. And no hard feelings if there isn't!) and skip the rest.


First up, we have the Insecure Writer's Support Group!

(Click on the above link for a complete list of participants...)

My A to Z Theme this month is music, so in keeping with that theme, I am sharing with you a song that I think most artists can relate to at least some of the time.

It's pretty much my current mindset. The sad truth is that I have been besieged by confident-sucking vampires (Yay!) and singing this song (repeatedly) occasionally makes me feel a little better.

So I am sharing it with you.

Should you choose to listen to it, just be aware that the song is NSFW. It does contain some language that polite society would consider rude. (Which really just makes me love it more. I am incredibly mature that way.)




Key Lyrics: (No worries...I didn't select any of the rude ones. Just the inspirational ones.)

You have a story to tell/ pull your novel out of that sock drawer!/ You have a painting to paint/ you best paint and then paint some more!

and

In fly the vampires (oh my the vampires)/ then die the vampires/ filling you with life, creativity/ all that your life should be/ out go the vampires/ Die, vampires, die!


And now for something not really all that different...



It's Day Six of the A to Z Challenge!

Click on the link for a complete list of participants.

My theme this month is Soundtrack Songs. Through out April, I will be sharing with you selections from the playlists I create to accompany my novels, the lyrics that landed the song on the list, and perhaps a story snippet or two.



Song #1—Equinox by Floater

This is the opening song to my YA urban fantasy, Solstice. I just love the mood it establishes.



Key Lyrics:

From the swinging of the axe/ to the swaying of the hips/ it's such a tangled web we weave/ from the soul to the lips

Song #2—(The) End by Levi Weaver

This is one of two songs in contention for a Second Nature scene, toward the end of the novel, where the characters have to re-define the depths of misery. (Sorry, characters...).



Key Lyrics:

When the butterfly is faded/ and the beast shows you the earth/ when the bird has died/ somewhere in mid-flight/ and you crash down to the earth

and

When you're incomplete/ will you try your feet/ or will you find your knees/ and admit defeat


Sorry for the over-long post today, but I swear I'm done now. (At least until tomorrow...) Thanks for stopping by!

45 comments:

  1. Just when I think I have a pretty decent hold on a variety of music, you post another couple of songs I don't know. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping to select at least a few songs that people weren't already super familiar with. I guess this means I'm succeeding thus far. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. That's right - die you bloodsuckers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are vampire slayers!!! *striking what she hopes is a cool pose*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *giggling at your comments**attempting to strike a cool post of her own**falls on her face*

      Delete
  4. Ugh on those confidence-sucking vampires! You're rocking the A-Z Challenge, if that helps any. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first year I've been able to write all of my posts ahead of time. That helps a lot. I do think my theme is kind of a dud, but people have been very nice about it. Live and learn. I will do better the next time.

      Delete
  5. Never heard Levi Wheaver before. I probably wouldn't listen often to his because it is so "non-uplifting", but he has a wonderful voice!
    I had to go off and hear more. I liked "Dark Clay on his "i am only a tiny noise" CD. Thanks for sharing this. I like these pairings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The End is the song that introduced me to Levi Weaver, and I had to go out and listen to his entire songbook. I added quite a few of his titles to my music collection. Some more uplifting than others...

      Delete
  6. There's a swarm of those confidence-suckers around. More great music.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need some kind of confidence-sucking vampire repellent. Is that available anywhere?

      Delete
  7. That song choice for the IWSG made me chuckle. Good one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Love the lyrics for that first song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're fantastic. I bow down to the one who wrote them.

      Delete
  9. Love that song! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How long is your playlist? Do you have links to the whole thing for those who have read Effigy? Because, that might be something...

    I like how you have a song for when you're not feeling confident. I think we all should have one of those. (I won't listen since I am at work, and since that work is in a school...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's about 25 songs on Effigy's playlist right now, but not all of them pair with specific scenes. Some are just on the list because they strike the right mood.

      And yes, Die, Vampire, Die would definitely not be suitable for work in your case. :)

      Delete
  11. Die Vampire Die! had me cracking up. I'm going to have to go back and listen to it when I'm feeling all grouchy about my writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never fails to crack me up...and then get stuck in my head for the next three days.

      Delete
  12. You know, most my music is instrumental. Don't want lyrics to trip me up when I'm typing words. Plus I listen just for mood when writing.

    Crystal Collier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a playlist called 'Mood Music' that's just instrumental stuff I listen to when I'm attempting to get some serious writing done. The other lyric-driven playlists I generally listen to when in the car or out walking or things like that.

      Delete
  13. I love that Die Vampire Die song. Love it when things make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Music is half of my life. Well a good part of it anyway.

    For people who just call it "noise" (my hubby, grrrr), they don't know what it's like to be lifted and swayed by something so elemental. spiritual even.
    Super post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay NSFW! Plus I'd like to see some vampires die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NSFW is one of my favorite things...But everyone probably knows that already.

      Delete
  16. Go away vampires, come again another day...or maybe, don't, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. If it's the kind of vampires stealing my energy, definitely "Die Vampire Die!" Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate those energy-sucking vampires. I need that energy!

      Delete
  18. I love the music ones…always introduces me to new sounds.

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe I've never heard the Die Vampire song!! LOL how could I have missed it. Vampires show up and suck my confidence away every other minute. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from a musical called [title of show]. I don't know all the songs yet, but the ones I do, I love. So creative.

      Delete
  20. But I love vampires and don't want them to die. D=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then we'll only slay the confidence-sucking vamps. And any who sparkle.

      Delete
  21. I love that Vampires song. It cheers me up too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lots of great content and music, too. Good reading and listening.
    Suz from Stormy’s Sidekicks!
    Suzi's Ice Box Art

    ReplyDelete
  23. The title of "Die, Vampires, Die" makes me giggle.

    ReplyDelete