Monday, March 28, 2016

Escape From Revision Island

Some of you may have already seen this over the weekend via the social media outlet of your choice, but late Friday night/early Saturday morning, I was able to wrap up this round of revisions on Second Nature.

Cue the Happy Dance(s)...




Though truthfully exhausted, I am relieved to have reached this point. Hence the sincere happy dancing. I wasn't sure I would ever get to the end. This whole project has been weird, and I can't decide how I feel about it. There were about three whole days where I actually felt good, but most of the time, it was like this:




I don't think I can objective anymore. If I ever could.

I can't be objective. I'm too close to it—if for no other reason than I  just spent the last three months questioning every last syllable.

I need a break.

Which is why I shall now spend some time not thinking about it. When that unspecified amount of time has ended, I'll give it a read-through and (maybe) send it off to the betas to get an opinion that is not mine (because those are actually opinions I can trust.).

But until that day arrives, here's what I'll be focusing on instead:

—Watching season 1 of Jessica Jones and season 2 of Daredevil, plus all the crap I've been saving on my DVR for months and months.

—Get caught up on my reading. I have a never-ending To Be Read list, and it's been gathering a frightening amount of dust. I've read one book so far in March. Just one.

—Write my A to Z posts. I've started a few, but I'd really love to have them all complete before the challenge begins.

So that's what's going on with me. Hope everyone had a great Easter—and gets to take advantage of those post-Easter discounts on candy! Or am I the only one looking forward to that?

What's happening in your neck of the woods?


27 comments:

  1. Congrats for leaving Revision Land. I'm should be able to leave within the next day or two myself and am looking forward to it! I still have, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z but all the rest of my a-z posts are done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have A, B, and C done.

      I'll be sure to send the Revision Island Ferry back for you!

      Delete
  2. Glad you finished! Take a break. And yes, get those Challenge posts written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never written them so far ahead of time. I'm really looking forward to experiencing the challenge with them done before the 1st.

      Delete
  3. Well done, MJ! Enjoy your break and all your TV and the Easter candy discounts. I'll be stocking up on the Reese's Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs. They have to tide me over until the next big holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And I don't think the next candy-fueled holiday is until October. That's a long time.

      Delete
  4. Awesome! I'm going out to get discounted Easter candy today too. Woot! And I really need to watch Jessica Jones before I watch the next Daredevil season as well. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just came back from my discounted Easter candy hunt...Apparently, I should have gone sooner.

      May you have better luck!

      Delete
  5. That's wonderful news! (I'm talking about the discounted candy here, not your finished revisions; the latter deserves an even more effusive adjective. Congrats!)

    Anyway, in my woods' neck, I'm going the opposite direction. Already took care of J.Jones Season 1, and now I'm finishing up a couple books so I can focus more fully on writing and revisions.

    Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was saving all my shows and books and whatever because I didn't want the distraction or the delay. But now...bring it on!

      Delete
  6. I'm down to three posts yet to write for A to Z. Daredevil season 2 is great. Painful parts but really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have three posts done. I guess I'll have to finish them before I watch Daredevil...That'll motivate me to get them done!

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your break! That just-finished-a-draft break is the best one ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't feel quite real yet. I still think I have more revising to do. Which I will, just not yet. :)

      Delete
  8. Hooray for escaping revision island! Enjoy the break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I certainly endeavor to do so. :)

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on finishing revisions. This is always a time of relief. It's hard to be objective toward our own work. That's why beta readers are a must, and so great. Enjoy your break and A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my beta readers. Even if I think they're always going too easy on me... :)

      Delete
  10. Yes, take a break. Get away from it. Come back with more objectivity (although I guess we can never get to total objectivity). You have earned your quality superhero Netflix shows. Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eight episodes into Jessica Jones right now...Yeah, that's a quality superhero show.

      Delete
  11. Congrats. That's great. Although, I wonder why you don't send it to your betas now. If you give yourself time to reread, you'll second guess yourself again. Then you can really forget about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered/am considering sending the manuscript to the betas right away, but I'm wary of sending them a bad book. It's super long and a lot to read, and if I send them something that's bad, I'm afraid they'll never be willing to read for me again. I know a beta's purpose is to tell the author when the story doesn't work, but...I don't know. I don't want to send them something I don't feel good about.

      But maybe I should because they will let me know if there is a problem with the story, or if it's all in my head.

      But I don't know. This whole project has just been super weird. Maybe I should throw it out and start all over again. :)

      Delete
  12. Congrats! Escaping your revisions easily deserves the happiest of happy dances. Hope you enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been enjoying the break. So long as the cookies hold out, I'm sure I will continue to do so, too. :)

      Delete
  13. Congratulations! Whoop! Whoop! Enjoy your time off. Catching up on all you have missed sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, too. Sometimes, I feel bad because I'm not working, but, you know...that was the point. :)

      Delete
  14. Hooray for getting your revisions done! That's exciting stuff, Dude.

    ReplyDelete