Monday, February 15, 2016

Party On, Cate!



Hello, all.

Today I'm taking part in Sarah Foster's Muse Party Blogfest, (the Anti-Valentine's Day Edition) where authors and their muses have the opportunity to mingle with other authors and their muses.

Click on the above link for a complete list of participants.

From this point on, my responses will be in black, while those belonging to my muse (to be formally introduced very, very soon...) will be in purple.

O frabjous day.

What, don't you like purple?

No, purple's great. Really, it's swell. I'm so excited to be living the dream at last.

Ooooookay?

Yeah. Let's just move this thing along, all right. I've got shit to do.

Onto the questions...


1. Who did you bring to the party? Is he/she your Valentine or anti-Valentine?


The character I have brought with me today is Catherine "Call Me Cate" Cole, the main character of my current WIP, Second Nature


Two things— First, "Call Me Cate" is not my middle name. It's not anybody's middle name. And second, I wasn't brought here so much as I was dragged.


Fine. Whatever. I dragged you here.


That's all I'm saying.


All right. Cate, who was dragged here against her will (You know that's right.), is a surly, sarcastic, pain in my—


I am an absolute delight, and you know it!


Cate is an absolute delight. She's prone to several absolutely delightful bouts of sarcasm and pop-culture references. She is not a fan of authority.


Are you calling yourself an authority?


Well, I am the author. And we're still on the first freaking question, so perhaps you can keep the commentary to yourself.


Yeah. That sounds likely.


MOVING ON...


2. Which one of you is the most romantic person?


I'm going to answer M.J., because she sure does loooooooove to torture her characters.


Well, I am the author.


Whatever. Next question.


3. What gift are you giving your (anti) Valentine?


I finished her story. What else does she want?


Have you read that story? You couldn't have gotten me a nice chocolate lava cake instead? Red Sox tickets? A hole in the head? It had to be this story?


Next question.


4. Are you guys wearing red or pink (or black)?


Navy blue and gray, actually. I may or may not be still in my pajamas.


Dork. Sorry, I meant to say 'black.'


5. Did you bring any Valentine's Day treats?


M.J. ate them all in the car. This is what M.J. does. M.J. has no willpower.


No comment.


6. Name a song for our Love Playlist or our Anti-Love Playlist (or both!).


Well, on Second Nature's official unofficial playlist, there are—


Absolutely no love songs to be found. Unless one counts Hurt by Johnny Cash or Down In A Hole by Alice In Chains.


Anti-Love Playlist, it is!

7. Got a great Anti/Valentine party game?


Anyone have any alcohol? We could do shots.


Valentine's Day-themed Mad libs?


*coughcough* Nerd. *coughcough*


You're an English major at an Ivy League school.


And yet, you're still the bigger nerd. Go figure.


8. Feeling the love, or just feeling nauseous? How will you have fun at the party?


Again, I ask, "Is there alcohol?"


Cate.


What? I'll share.


Will you?


Probably not.


9. Has your muse been a good Valentine?


Despite our many, many disagreements (Ha!) and the monster sarcasm rallies (Well, you try real hard, and that's what counts.), and the—(Torture. Don't forget the torture!) torture, I think Cate has been a very good Valentine. (Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little.) I really do love this character (Terrific. I can die happy now.) and I'm excited (Translation: terrified) for the world to meet her. (And I them. Really. I couldn't be more sincere. Except...I probably could. You know, just a smidgen.)


Just hope y'all like sarcasm. Like, really like it. Sorry. I may be the author, but I really have no control over anything. Anything.


Jordan's Bonus Question: Did you bring me & Sarah a musiversary gift? (Because we've put up with each other for five years, and I think we deserve something.


I like you, Jordan, so this is what I'll do...I'll give you that box of M.J.'s Thin Mints that she thinks she lost, or maybe just only thinks she bought because she has Girl Scout Cookies on the brain, but were actually stolen by me after a particularly torturous day of writing.


Wait, what?


You heard me.


And on that note, my character and I are out of here. We have a few more scenes to finish up, and I think I just may be able to squeeze in a little bit more torture—


Wait, what?


You heard me.


Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!


Thanks to Sarah Foster and Jordan for hosting today's bloghop. We had a blast!

43 comments:

  1. Hahaha that was awesome! I think Jordan and Cate would get along very well. They could complain about how we torture them.
    Thanks for coming to my party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they'd get along well, too. :)

      Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  2. Mmm, cookies. Are all muses experts in sarcasm? I'm sensing a trend here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak for every writer, but I know that my muses always are sarcasm experts.

      Delete
  3. Alcohol and cookies lol. Too funny. Happy MuseFest

    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take the cookies. I don't drink alcohol.
    I'm still having fun though. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In which Cate replies, "No problem. More for me."

      Glad you're having fun!

      Delete
  5. cate is soooo snarky, im sooooo surprised! that was fun to read, what a great party!
    keep torturing those characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'm never snarky. I don't know where my characters get it...

      Delete
  6. It may surprise you, M.J., but I've never had a conversation with one of my characters. I talk to inanimate objects, my blog, my hand, animals of very little brain, and various imaginary folk, but never anyone from one of my writings.

    Thus, I envy you and Cate and your sarcasm-offs. Keep up the good work. By which, of course, I mean the torture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate would like you to know that you just made her list. (But don't worry...nothing happens on this list.)

      Delete
  7. I love snarky, comical muses. Mine is so light and happy...all the time. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Cate might have been happy before I met her. But not since then. That's for sure. :)

      Delete
  8. Haha. That was great. I love sassy characters who snark at their authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too. Unless their my characters and their sass interferes with the telling of the story...Oh wait.

      Delete
  9. What a great muse! I love Cate! She sounds like my kinda girl! Just try to keep her away from Jari...I don't think he'd quite get the concept of sarcasm and would probably challenge her to a fight or something for insulting him ;). Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate does have a knack for insulting people. But I do think she'd really like Jari. She'll just had to admire him from afar.

      Delete
  10. Everyone needs a snarky imaginary friend. Sounds like you've found a good one in Cate. Looking forward to seeing that story you tortured her with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your muse sounds a lot like mine - recalcitrant and difficult to get along with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is most definitely that. But if you can make it past that, she'll be loyal to a fault.

      Or so I'm told.

      Delete
  12. I didn't believe it possible but your muse is more sarcastic and snarky than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to believe, I know. I feel I really need to step up my sarcasm game to try and take back my title. :)

      Delete
  13. Cate sounds awesome.

    Nick: *stage whisper* I brought vodka...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate:*stage whisper* You're my new best friend, Nick...

      Delete
  14. Will Scarlet laughs, "I didn't even know there were points to be won for dropping the word 'frabjous', but Cate. The points. They are all yours. XD"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate: *takes a bow* "Thank you, Will Scarlet. I'll be here all week. Try the veal."

      Delete
  15. I love the idea of your muse hiding cookies from you. Too funny! A great, contentious relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contentious is right.

      (I am far less amused by the cookie-hiding, as I'm sure you can imagine...)

      Delete
  16. Your muse is funny - except for the cookie hiding. That's not nice at all. Cookies are sacred. Like HoHos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Considering Effigy, Cate should be worried about the torture...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when one considers that parts of Cate's story makes Effigy look a sweet, little rom-com.

      It's possible there's something seriously wrong with me.

      Delete
  18. "Dork. Sorry, I meant to say 'black.'"

    Love this line!

    Great post and I really do need some thin mints!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hilarious! My hubby brought home some cookies. Have the boxes gotten smaller again? Oh well. Let's play Mad Libs instead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your post is my favorite. I love characters that make you do a double take. Cate should chat with my choice but don't let Huntress take her anywhere. Seriously.

    My post: Roe's Musefest

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good to meet the two of you. :)

    My muse, being the obliging type, hands over a bottle of Jameson with a nod and no attempt at conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sarcasm is the best. =) And I hear you on the willpower. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ha! I love Cate already! I look forward to learning more about her. She reminds me a lot of my muse, Evelyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. "because she sure does loooooooove to torture her characters" <-- Ha! I love it. You both rock.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was funny! We need more folks like Cate to temper a Valentine's Day party.. so people don't get sick from more than just the overload of candy

    ReplyDelete