Friday, January 8, 2016

Week In Review

Here are a few of my celebrations/highlights from the past week:


1. The record heat finally came to an end! The temperature dropped so much that I was actually comfortable in Florida for the very first time in nine months. It's been mostly in the upper 60's, but there was one day where it was, like, 58 degrees. I didn't have to shave my legs. I actually wore a shirt with sleeves and pants that passed my knees. I wore socks and a flannel shirt. It was amazing. Of course, tomorrow, it's supposed to be back in the 80's. It was nice while it lasted.

2. Not only did I catch up on my editing goals, but I'm actually now ahead on my editing goals. I'm a little over halfway through the manuscript now. I vacillate between thinking, "This book isn't so terrible" and "this is the worst book ever written!" So I think that means I'm right on schedule, as far as the editing freak-out goes.

3. I received this picture of my brand-new great-nephew (That's right...I'm old enough to have a great nephew):


I have it on good authority that Effigy is one of his favorite bedtime stories. Suck it, Goodnight Moon!

4. I signed up for my first Florida book signing event-fair-thing! Sure, it doesn't happen until 2017, but I told a complete stranger that I had written a book and signed up for an event to promote said book. And hey, there might even be a second book by then. Wouldn't that just be crazy?

5. Speaking of crazy, I attended a local writers group meeting, and actually read something that I had written. I didn't hide under the table once! I think that's what the kids call 'progress.'


So that was my week in a nutshell. I'm headed back down to the editing cave, but first—How was your week?

20 comments:

  1. After seventy degrees over the holidays, I was happy with our cold snap this week.
    Awesome you are ahead with edits. And you have an event next year! No pressure, but two books would rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two books would be great to have. I'm really trying not to put pressure on myself, but I've only been marginally successful.

      Delete
  2. I've lived in FL long enough that this weather is now actually "cold" for me. :)

    Love the pic with the baby and your book! I have a pic of the tortoises "reading" the Hint Fiction Anthology, and it always cracks me up.

    Good for you on all the progress you've made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, everywhere I go, I run into people who ask if I'm cold because I'm not nearly as bundled up as they are, and I'm always amazed that they are. I hear it takes about two years to acclimate. We'll see...

      Delete
  3. Lovely temperatures and ahead with your edits. Awesome! Gorgeous pic. You didn't hear it from me, but Goodnight Moon does suck! Have a terrific weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've actually read Goodnight Moon, at least not in its entirety. It just seemed like a good book to pick on. :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome week, MJ! It's been snowy here in MI. Want some? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on speaking at a local writers group and surpassing your editing goals! I need to find out what FL event that is...maybe I can sign up too. :)

    That picture is adorable!

    Sounds like you're slaying 2016. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll email you about the event. Last I knew, there were still some spots open.

      2016 is going all right so far. You know, all one week of it. :) Here's hoping I don't screw it up!

      Delete
  6. Very good way to start the year and your new little nephew is adorable. What's his name? So glad you have all those writing-related things to cheer about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised there were so many writing-related things to cheer about. I can't remember the last time that happened. :)

      Delete
  7. At least there's no snow! I envy you that. Not the rest of the year, though. And congrats on the great nephew. He looks so cute next to your book. I'm sure he's waiting for the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true—there is no snow, and isn't likely to be any at all. While I don't miss having to shovel or rake the roof, I do miss seeing it. It was, on occasion, pretty.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a good week - except for the temp dropping to 58. That's a little chilly for me. Of course, it's effing winter where I live so maybe 58 degrees wouldn't be so bad right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After decades of New England winters, I'm not sure I'll ever find 58 degrees in January to be cold. It'll be a strange experience, for sure. :)

      Delete
  9. 80 degrees, huh? You know, there are people who would actually be jealous of that. Here in SoCal, we've had a bit of rain. Maybe you heard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hear about that, yes. And if they'd like the 80 degree weather, I will happily ship it west. :)

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you've had a great week! Your great-nephew is SO adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is adorable. Not that I'm at all biased. :)

      Delete