Wednesday, January 27, 2016

It's About Time

I'm still working through revisions. I'm behind the pace I had hope to set for myself, but it is better for the revisions to be done well, rather than done quickly just to hit a target date. It does no good to rush. I've been getting into some of the heavier, more-involved corrects, and they just take longer.

At least, this is what I tell myself.

I had mentioned it to myself in my pre-edit notes that some adjustments to a particular scene around the chapter 30-something mark would probably need to be made because I thought it would prove to be just slightly off from the rest.

So I dug into it on Monday night, probably a little after 11pm, thinking it would only be a minor change that wouldn't require any changes to any other scenes. Around 3am on Tuesday morning, I had to face facts: there was nothing slight about the discrepancy. All of a sudden, I was on the Major Revision Highway.


Because, seriously, unless this character had discovered a wormhole and just never mentioned it to me, he had no business doing what he was doing when and where he was doing it.


There have been many, many times during this editing and revising process when I feel like I wrote the end of this novel without actually having read the beginning of it. This would be one of them.

But it's cool because it is obviously better that these mistakes are discovered now and not when, say... after a book is released into the wild. (Not that this book will ever make it out into the wild, at this rate...)

But it's also cool because in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, I devised a potentially genius—or at least potentially kind of okay—plan to fix it. I required pages and pages of notes, calendars, charts and a mini storyboard (hello, visual learner!) to do so, but  I did it.


And the best part is, the plan still holds up 24 hours later. Here's hoping I can make it 48.


Happy Wednesday, all!

22 comments:

  1. Revisions can be super tough, but doesn't it feel so good when you're able to figure something out? I don't think I could have that much brain power at 3 am, though!
    Good luck with the rest of the revisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite happy when I stumbled onto a plan that actually worked. Of course, because I had stayed up all night, I was more useless than usual the next day, or later that day, or whenever it was. But since I had a plan, it was totally worth it.

      Delete
  2. Sorry a simple revision turned into more, but yeah, better to find it now rather than later. Hope your plan holds up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I never thought edits were going to end on my second published novel, but they did and that huge sigh of relief didn't come until I got the final OK from my publisher. Here's to powering through it and making awesome from mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not sure how much awesome will be made from this mess, but it's a fantastic sentiment. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you have a sound plan to fix the problem. When I need to fix something in a book, I have to map out a plan too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is better to find it now. I would never be able to work that late. I would make a bigger mess than what I started with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why after I made the plan, I didn't actually tear apart the manuscript until after I had slept on it and confirmed that it was still a viable option.

      Delete
  6. *fingers crossed* And it is so much better to discover these things now than after the book is published. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck with your edits! I hope you get your time figured out. I had to make spreadsheets and try reorganizing everything to figure out my timing. You look more organized than I ever was. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote everything onto an actual calendar. But it does not guarantee that I will have written things down correctly. Better luck next time, MJ.

      Delete
  8. Instead of crossing my fingers, I'm going to cross the streams. That should blow up the errant portion of your novel, converting it into a goo that's easier to work with. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blowing up this novel sounds like a perfect solution. Oh wait—you meant just that one part, didn't you? Nevermind...

      Delete
  9. The earlier that the revision occurs, the more stuff you have to correct later. It's like a snowball. Of words. But you can still get buried alive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate discovering big giant plot holes, especially ones that are hard to fix. Good job finding a solution to your dilemma!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fingers crossed for you. (That's all I have the energy to do right now. the day job was brutal today.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate it when that happens. I also hate it when a crit partner informs me that my main character is not in the chapter that she's currently starring in. Back to the drawing board...

    Good luck. Sounds like you're moving forward at just the right pace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad that kind of thing doesn't happen to me. I'd probably just toss it all.

    ReplyDelete