Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Office Space, The Sequel

In the majority of my posts for the last six months, I have spent a not-insignificant amount of time on this blog vocalizing my...not-love for various aspects of Florida. (seriously, lizards—go live in someone else's mailbox. The neighbors are tired of listening to me scream.)

So today I thought I might tell you about something here in Florida that I quite actually love. A lot. Something I wouldn't have if I hadn't (gulp) MOVED TO FLORIDA.

My office.

Our first walk-through of our house was done via Skype. Our realtor showed us one of the bedrooms and said how she thought it would be a great room for my office because it had these two great windows that would offer me inspiration. I agreed with her until she showed us the other room. It only had one window, but the closet was freaking amazing (translation: I could fit a bookshelf into it) and I laid claim to it then and there.

I totally made the right choice. Because I have the most amazing office space now. I mean, seriously, I am completely spoiled by this room.

After the movers finally showed up, my office looked like this:


I didn't have a desk, either. My old desk was one made of that pressed particle board stuff, and every mover we spoke to said the same thing: it wasn't likely that it would survive the move. I guess pressed particle board stuff has a tendency to explode. Not, like, a literal explosion or anything. It just won't survive, I guess, unless it can be broken down enough, which my desk could not be.

So anyway, the point of that little detour was that I had to get rid of my desk.

It took a while to find a suitable replacement, but I finally found one I liked at IKEA. (As an added bonus, I got to make my first trip to IKEA!) It took three days for The Man to put it together (I'm really no help in these situations), but I really like the finished product:


Next came the Big Ass Storyboard. I had to hound The Man for a while to help me put it up (I'm guessing he was still traumatized from the IKEA desk experience) but he eventually caved.


You can also see my other storyboard in the above photo because—that's right—this room is large enough with enough useable wall space that I no longer have to hang my story-plot storyboard in the dining room. (And The Man rejoiced heartily.)


Of course now, I have to use a step ladder if I want to make adjustments to that top level, but I just kind of think that makes it even cooler.

The last picture I'm going to share with you today is the last wall in the office, otherwise known as Bookshelf City...


The sad/impressive thing is that that's not even all of my books. There's still, like, 8 boxes I haven't yet unpacked. Because I need more bookshelves. Or, according to The Man, fewer books.

But I've chosen the former. I just don't need the negativity inherent in the latter.

And that's going to do it for me today. Thanks for stopping by!


36 comments:

  1. Very nice!

    I can't see - is the one big storyboard wall made of bulletin board material? I'm thinking of doing something like that - or a whiteboard type thing - for a section of wall in my office....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The double decker storyboard wall is just a raffia wallpaper-type thing that was here when I got here. It's good. though, because you can't see the holes the push pins make.

      I want a white board-type thing in there next. I'm just not sure where I'll put it. The dining room, maybe?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know, right? Like that would ever happen.

      Delete
  3. Your office looks so cozy!! I give away books after I read them, but mostly so our house doesn't collapse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a book hoarder, as is probably super obvious now. But you should have seen how many books I gave away before the move.

      Delete
  4. I love the bookshelf wall - I want one! I don't have enough book shelves either, and my hubs thinks I need fewer books, too. Silly guy. :)

    Yay for your new office - it looks awesome! I think the whole dining room versus office storyboard is funny, too . . . since I have a "writing board" in the dining room, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that there's someone else out there who utilized the dining room the same way I did. I mean, what else would anyone put there? :)

      Delete
  5. You just need to get someone to fill that wall with shelves from the floor to the ceiling. That should help fit the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest that whenever The Man says, "I need a project."

      Then, suddenly, he's too busy. Go figure.

      Delete
  6. Ooh, your office looks great! Sorry your old desk couldn't live to see it, but the new one from IKEA seems to fit in quite well. Also...fewer books? *shudders at the frightening suggestion*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The IKEA desk does fit the room much better than my old desk would have. I guess its loss was a blessing.

      Delete
  7. I love your office. I dream of having an office to work in because right now I share a desk with my sound-engineer partner and it's not great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to share a desk with my software-engineer significant other. It irritated him so much that I ended up with my own desk in my own office.

      Delete
  8. Awesome. You can never have too many books. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you've got a great setup there! And some nice storyboards too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love my storyboards. Perhaps too much.

      Delete
  10. You have an awesome set up. And I don't know what your man is talking about. Maybe he's joking. Less books? Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always laugh when he says it, so maybe...

      Delete
  11. Looks amazing!

    ...Still have yet to set foot in an IKEA myself, but someday I'll go ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tad overwhelming. There was just so much to see, and I didn't even manage to see everything.

      Delete
  12. I have three bookcases full of books. I feel like a slacker now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, you're just not a book hoarder.

      Delete
  13. Ooo, that is an awesome office! I need more bookshelves. I don't believe in having fewer books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good philosophy to have, I find. Occasionally expensive, but that can't be helped.

      Delete
  14. Nice! I'm glad it's not all humidity and lizards down there. And look at all that storyboarding. And the bookshelves make me want to faint. It's just so beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just mostly humidity and lizards....

      Delete
  15. That is an enviable office space. Congrats M.J.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww...I remember the desk when it was still in the box....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am super, super jealous. I just moved too but there's no where in my house for a writing office. Well, there's that corner by the thermostat...

    I'm also jealous of your bookshelves and books. They just make a place more homey. I need more of both.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! It looks wonderful. I need more shelves too, not less books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on an awesome office! Funny, the male unit in this household is always telling me I need fewer books, too. What universe do they live in? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great room. I love the fact you need a step ladder to reach the top of your storyboard, too. I want a wall now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great office--I'm glad you have a space of your own :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally made the right choice. Because I have the most amazing office space for lease near me now. I mean, seriously, I am completely spoiled by this room.

    ReplyDelete