Monday, October 12, 2015

Life Goes On

I didn't get much done last week. The Gator Girl had a medical issue that required constant supervision. As well as the cone of shame:


So basically, my week was spent saying "Stop it. Stop it. Don't do that. Stop it. No, don't! Why? Why did you do that! Stop it!" over and over and over again. I was only ever able to write when the Gator Girl was unconscious. If you're familiar with the Belgian Malinois, you'll know that they're seldom unconscious.

Seriously. I'm pretty sure in the next Mission Impossible movie, Tom Cruise will have to keep a Malinois calm and quiet. And not just any Malinois—my Malinois, who's an OCD-ridden, anxiety-prone basketcase with a couple extra shots of crazy.

Thankfully, she's better now, and needs far less supervision...just in time for Big to develop a medical issue of his own. You know, the kind that requires one to say, "Stop it. Stop it. Don't do that. Stop it. No, don't! Leave it alone!" 500,000,000 times a day. Of course, he's deaf and can't hear you say those things, but this house has never lacked for throw pillows.

The good news is that his medical condition does require less hands-on hovering than the Gator Girl's did. Also, he sleeps a hell of a lot more than the Gator Girl (Everything does. Including sharks, I think...), so perhaps this week I can get some more work in.

I am three scenes away from being finished with this draft of Second Nature. Five, if I decide I absolutely have to have those other two scenes I was thinking of adding, but that's all. Just three (five) scenes. They're all started; I just need to finish them.

Which leads me to my goals for this week:

1. Finish those three (five) scenes.

Nothing more to be said about that.

2. Walk/run/bike at least two miles every day.

My reward system: If I hit five miles in a single day, I can have a chocolate chip cookie. If I hit ten miles in a single day, I can have a jumbo cookie, like the kind they sell in the Publix bakeries around here. If I only hit two miles, I can have the satisfaction of having done something healthy. And such satisfaction it'll be.

3. To not have to call the vet.

I have spent so much time and money there since the big move, that they'll be giving me my own parking space soon enough, and sending me a postcard from the lavish vacation I've paid for. Here's hoping that Big's current medical condition fulfills our quota for a while. (But as he still has an un-diagnosed kidney condition, that's not likely.)


Happy Monday, everyone. See y'all next time.

31 comments:

  1. Oh dear, the cone of shame, every dog's nightmare. If my dog was wearing that he'd have already bumped into me a dozen times as well as every piece of furniture and probably scooped up a cat or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, she did do that. (With the exception of the cat-scooping. They steered clear of her.) I had a good hardy laugh over it. Maybe even made a video or two. Because I'm an evil dog mom like that.

      Delete
  2. Hope the gang is doing better! We struggled to find a vet that handled reptiles - not an easy task, believe me - and we've been there a bunch of time the last couple of months. Nothing serious but the tortoises do not like the car. At all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so curious about the tortoises in the car. If they're as bad as some cats that I've known, I'm so sorry!

      Delete
  3. Aw, poor Gator Girl and Big! (And poor you, for needing to supervise them at the expense of writing, LOL.) How exciting that there are only 3-5 scenes left in Second Nature, though! Good luck wrapping those up, as well as getting in enough miles to earn some cookies! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured cookies would be a good, if slightly counterproductive, reward system. And perhaps I can figure out how to finish those last three (five) scenes while on the move.

      Delete
  4. Poor pup. Hope everyone is doing better. And you go for that giant cookie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One is on the mend, and I'm hoping like crazy that the other will on that path soon...because I really want that giant cookie.

      Delete
  5. Sorry you had to spend the week disciplining dogs. Hope they are both doing better and you can regain your sanity. Not to mention ability to say yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regain my sanity? Pretty sure that was irretrievably lost years ago. :)

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear you've got pet problems. I hope you get more time to write this week, and the 10 mile goal sounds achievable especially with a cookie at the end of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I do not miss going to the vet! There was a time where I was going several times a week (usually with the cat in tow--and he does not like car rides or just leaving the apartment in general). Hope the pets feel better soon! And that helps you to get more writing done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the days when I only had to take the dogs to the vet once a year. Fortunately, the cats only require one trip per year. They're hell in that office.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on all the writing progress. You're almost done with your draft! You go girl! You can do it! I'm sorry about your dogs. I know spending time at the vet isn't fun and expensive. I hope both puppies get better soon. My dog has Addison's Disease and just so happens to be a busy little beaver. He has once again decided that keeping me from sleeping is far more fun than anything else. Sending you virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big is like that at night some times. He keeps me awake, for no other reason that he's awake, so he thinks I should be too. :)

      Delete
  9. It's so sad when the dog has to wear the lampshade. I remember our one dog wouldn't lay down and he kept falling asleep while sitting up. So it was kind of funny too.
    Hope they all get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of found it funny. Like, really funny. Gator Girl took to it well, though. I thought it would take longer for her to accept it.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you've been having fun. ;)
    Good luck with your goals and I hope your dogs heal fast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, poor puppies. She looks cute with the walking lamp look, though. I hope their health problems clear up and you can get some writing done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was cute with the cone of shame accessory. Not that many dogs can pull off that look. :)

      Delete
  12. I hope you haven't had to call the vet again! It's tough when our darlings need medical attention! Sounds like you have your writing under control. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made it through an entire day without having to call the vet! This probably that I have now jinxed myself, and will have to call the vet tomorrow, but at least I would have had those 24 whole hours.

      Delete
  13. I have a feeling the cookies will get eaten whether or not the walk/bike/run gets done or not. I hope the doggies feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an accurate statement if there were cookies in the house. But there are none, and there will continue to be none unless I have earned them. In theory anyway. I give myself 48 hours before I crack and inhale a package of Oreos.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad to hear Gator Girl is recovering. Medical issues are rough, no matter if it's us or our pets! Good luck finishing those three (or five) scenes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily. I shall take all the luck I can get!

      Delete
  15. Hope the rest of your week is better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww, I always feel so bad when a pet has to wear the cone of shame. Not only because I feel sorry for them, but I also remember what a nightmare it was for me when my dog had one! I'm glad Gator Girl is out of the cone and I hope Big will be better soon.
    Good luck getting those three scenes cranked out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing such a nice information. I truly favor to reading your post.

    ReplyDelete