Monday, October 19, 2015

Last Week Today

Last week, the Gator Girl was in the cone of Shame, Big was dealing with a medical condition of his own, and I was one the verge of running away and changing my name. This week, both dogs continue to be on the mend, but one of the cats has developed a medical condition of her own.


I didn't have to call the vet last week, though, so I at least achieved that goal. I'm thinking, however, that I'll have to call the vet this week. I'm pretty sure I have a personalized ring tone in their office now. That cash register sound—ca-ching, ca-ching, ca-ching!

I do have another cat, and if she develops a medical condition next week, I really will just run away. Though, I have to admit that it's been extremely considerate of my animals to limit their issues to one pet per week.

But things are supposed to come in threes, right, so this should be the end of it. Right?

Right?

In other goal-related news, I did achieve my fitness goal (walk/run/bike at least two miles per day). I only earned a cookie one day, however, so I'm going through a bit of cookie withdrawal. It's not a pretty sight. I'll keep the same goal this coming week, and try to earn more cookies.



Which leaves the writing goal.

If you'll recall, last week, I was three (five) scenes away from being finished with my never-ending WIP, Second Nature. I decided to cut the two scenes about which I wasn't sure—at least for the time being. Perhaps in rewrites, I shall decide the novel cannot survive without them. But, it can for now. That got me down to three scenes without any parenthesis.

I worked on one of the three remaining scenes, and it is technically finished—meaning there's no INSERT SOMETHING HERE notes—but I just...I don't think it was particularly finished well. There's, like, a 99.9% chance that it'll have a pretty decent revision in the revision stage.

So, here's my question...Can I count it as being finished? Can I say that it's good enough for the first draft and move on to the next scene? Or, because I have such doubts about it now, do I have to take it off of the "done" pile and throw it back into the "to be finished" side of things?

(Note: I'd really love someone to tell me I can count it as being finished because otherwise, I didn't complete a single scene last week. If you can do so sincerely, that's just an added bonus. Like whipped cream on your hot chocolate.)

The other two scenes are Big Important Scenes. One of them is that scene that many of Effigy's readers ask me about. As in, "For the love of *insert deity of choice here*, please tell me that *name removed for spoiler-avoiding purposes* is going to die in the next book!"

The answer is yes, *name removed for spoiler-avoiding purposes* will die in the next book. Well, at least *gender removed for spoiler-avoiding purposes* will die if I can figure out how the write the damn scene. And I haven't been able to do that yet.

My brother was instrumental in helping me work out the tone of the scene. I just haven't found the right words for it. Yet.

The other scene is otherwise known as THE VERY LAST ONE. I haven't figured out how to write this one yet, either. (Obviously. Duh. Geez, that was dumb.) The way Second Nature played out, my original plan for the end is now obsolete, and I require something to take its place. I've brainstormed a few new ways the last scene could go, but I don't know if any of them are right, or if I need to come up with something else.

Somehow, I feel compelled to re-use this gif:



So, that's what's going on in my neck of the swamp. What's going on in yours?

36 comments:

  1. I think your first draft sounds done. I tend to have tons of drafts though, so maybe I shouldn't say anything:) Glad to hear your dogs are doing better. Sorry about your cat. Looks like they don't like Florida either:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't count the entire draft as done until I plug the big holes in the last two scenes.

      And my vet did say on one of our first visits that sometimes, animals are 'allergic' to Florida. It seems this has finally proven accurate.

      Delete
  2. First draft doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to be written. You are done.
    Hope you are through with vet calls soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost done. Soon to be done, I hope. :)

      And yes, I also hope I am done with vet calls/visits.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Alex. First drafts aren't pretty and I call mine done once I finish writing the last scene. Then it's on to draft #2.

    Hope kitty feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get to the promised land that is draft #2. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm not going to be much help here - I haven't completed a full draft of a novel in...I don't even want to admit it. I'm going to change that with this year's NaNo. Fingers crossed.

    You'll figure out. Trust your gut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a few years since I last finished a draft, too. And since this one has taken so damn long, I'm going to have to miss NaNoWriMo. But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...you'll need yours for writing!

      Delete
  5. Yes! You are done! Cookie time! (You just can't go around making Cookie Monster wait like that. He'll snap!) And things do come in threes. Sometimes. Yeah. Okay. It's Monday. I stayed up too late watching the Talking Dead, but Kevin Smith was on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I manage to finish a draft, I get cake. :)

      I was watching football last night, so I haven't seen either the Walking nor the Talking Dead yet. Hope to watch it tonight.

      Delete
  6. Hope the furry children get better soon. That can get very expensive. I saw count it as 100% and move on. Revisions can wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that everyone so far has said that I'm done with that scene. Yay Progress!

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry your critters are all getting sick. It is considerate of them to spread it out a bit though.

    Go have a cookie. I'd count your writing as done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that so many commenters say I can have a cookie!

      Delete
  8. I'd call it done. First drafts are a mess and should be. That's what edits revisions and all that other jazz is for. Good luck with those pets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd say you're done! Being finished in no way means it has to be perfect. That's what revisions are for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, true. Much of this manuscript is imperfect, but that scene in question is even more so. I'll tackle it first in rewrites. You know, if I ever finish the first draft...

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry that your pets are sick. I hope you other cat stays nice and healthy. I think you deserve to move onto the next scene and come back to that scene later during the second draft. And a cookie...you deserve a cookie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she stays healthy, too, and not just because she's such a nightmare to take to the vet!

      Delete
  11. I say done. You know you have to revise, so move on. Everything might change in a big way in the revision and what you do now won't matter anymore. And have a cookie too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you can call that scene done. (I do when mine are in that state.)

    Best of luck with figuring out those scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd say call the scene done. You can polish it up in editing and you won't get to editing if you don't finish those other two scenes so CHOP CHOP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait...are you saying I should chop those two scenes? That would be one way to finish the novel.

      Delete
  14. For crying out loud. Now the cat's getting sick? I had to spend $200 at the vet's today and my cat was healthy!

    I say it can be counted as finished. That's what revisions are for :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the last "your dogs are healthy" appointment I had cost me $500 (for both of them). I don't even want to start adding up all of the "your pets are sick" visits. It'll just make me cry.

      Delete
  15. Sounds like that one scene is first draft done. Not done-done because it needs revisions, but revisions are what the next draft is all about.

    I love that head banging gif. It's kind of how I feel after my last writers group meeting. Yesterday. I thought chapter 15 was done... Well, no, I didn't. But I didn't think it was as bad off as all that. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's never a great feeling. But it'll fade eventually, and you'll produce a chapter 15 that'll kick the ass of the previous one. :)

      Delete
  16. First draft just has to be and that is all. Nothing fancy. Just finish it and that it exists is all that matters. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heh. This came to mind: image

    I like your *removed spoilers*. :) I say your scene drafts are done. Totally.

    I hope your pet medical issues all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the Cookie Monster short. Brought back memories. Good luck with your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're doing great with the goals. I hope your pets are healthy from now on.!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Writing and banging your head on a table go hand in hand....hope your pets make life easier on you though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So I officially jumped to my second draft. First draft will never be "finished" because first draft had the wrong beginning...or three different ones all inserted at different points. *insert hammer smashing story file* So, all the pieces are there, and the next draft will commence. And yes, I'm celebrating so you might as well too.

    ReplyDelete