Monday, August 3, 2015

One For The Road

Today is my last writing day before the first of my company comes, and I thought I'd spend part of it with all of you. I'm totally not using this post as a way to help me procrastinate from working on my WIP. I mean, it's not like I have absolutely no idea how to finish off those last few scenes in the damn thing. No, I totally know. I just...I didn't want to finish this draft too quickly—I've only been working on it for, like, 18 years months now, so I thought I would stretch things out a little bit longer. Make it last, you know?

SAID NO WRITER EVER, I'm pretty sure.

But yeah, the above paragraphs are absolutely true...except for the part about me not using this post to help me procrastinate. I'm absolutely doing that.

But also, I have some goals to review. Yay.

1. Win Camp NaNoWriMo, and by doing so, finally finish this never-ending draft of Second Nature.

Well, I did half this goal:



But, as it turned out, I required much more than 50,000 words to complete this draft, and I haven't figured them all out yet. As of this post, I have five unfinished scenes. I've been trying so hard to just get something on the page (I'm a firm believer that I can fix bad page, it's those blank ones for which you have to look out...), but it just hasn't happened yet.

I really wanted this draft finished before I took my month's hiatus, but unless there's a writing miracle happening in this house today, I'll have to be content with having a month away from those problem scenes. Not a bad idea, certainly, just not what I'd been aiming for.

2. Attempt to make some progress with my Goodreads reading challenge.

Yeah...I'm pretty sure I only read one book in July. I had intended to read more, but got sucked into Camp NaNoWriMo instead. I am even more behind now. Yay. Better luck this month?

3. Log some serious miles.

Well, unless 30.5 miles can be counted as serious (it can't, in case you were curious) I didn't achieve this goal, either. Again, it was eschewed for Camp NaNoWriMo. In past NaNoWriMo sessions, I've done a much better job of balancing everything out. Just not this session.


This would be the part where I come up with a set of goals for the current month, but as most of my month will be spent with my family visiting a few major theme parks and the beach, I'm going to do that this month. Goals, like writing and this blog, will be resumed in September.

But I will make one goal...

Don't throw up on any of the rides at Harry Potter World. 

So that's going to do it for me this month, which is weird, I know because it's only August 3rd. But this blog will not be completely abandoned. Coming up this week on My Pet Blog will be some uber-talented authors. Please make sure to stop by and support them.

Have a great week/month, everyone. See you in the fall.

24 comments:

  1. I'm sure the other riders will appreciate you achieving that goal.
    It's hard to read a lot when you're also writing a lot. Unless that's all you do.
    Enjoy your August and see you next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make an excellent point—I'm sure the other riders would appreciate that greatly. :)

      Delete
  2. I never ever meet my Goodreads reading challenge so I don't even know why I set them anymore...
    Have lots of fun with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally, I do a much better job with the reading challenge. This whole move thing at the beginning of the year just threw everything off.

      Delete
  3. I hope you have lots of fun with your family! Beaches and theme parks sounds like a great way to spend a month. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We will have a lot of fun. You can't go wrong with beaches and theme parks. (I hope...)

      Delete
  4. Love HP World! The new Hogwarts Express is just so much fun - and you won't throw up on that since it's more like a trolley/train ride across the parks. Unless you get heatstroke waiting in line....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I went to HP world, they didn't have Diagon alley or the Hogswart Express...I'm so excited to go check them out.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your time off, M.J. Have fun:) Second nature will still be there next month . . . mocking you:) Just kidding! See you next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, 'mocking me' sounds about right. :)

      Delete
  6. Have fun with your family and, yes, don't throw up on the rides. They frown upon that. Especially if you splatter other people. XDXDXD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, that's just so gross. Now I'm afraid to go on those rides in case someone else throws up. So...thanks for that.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on winning Camp NaNo!!!! And 30.5 miles is serious in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great vacation. After Camp, it's probably a good idea to take a break and come back to those pesky scenes with fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true. I just...really wanted to be done with it by now.

      Delete
  9. Enjoy your company. You deserve a break after Camp.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I'm looking forward to their visit. I miss my family!

      Delete
  10. Well, you didn't finish, but 50K is impressive. You've earned your break. I'll miss you! Have a good month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up writing 61k last month. And I still didn't finish, which is why I'm feeling less deserving of this break, but I get to do it anyway. Yay for other people's travel plans!

      Delete
  11. Barfing on the Harry Potter rides sounds like a good writing project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry Potter and the Motion-Sick Passenger?

      Delete
  12. Time away from the novel might just be what you need to finish those unfinished scenes. It'll come to you when you're not even thinking about it. Family drama? Could do nothing but help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And usually that's what happens. I just really didn't want to still working on this damn draft. I wanted it to be over it. Oh well. Better luck next draft, I guess.

      And I'm really kind of hoping to avoid any family drama. Which means I probably just jinxed everything, but that's cool.

      Delete