Friday, July 24, 2015

Postcards From Camp

In the wee hours of the morning, this happened:




That's right. I sailed right over my 50k goal a whopping eight days early. (I would have won sooner, but, you know, Pinterest. And Netflix.)

Someone bring me the finest muffins and bagels
in all the land!


Well, all right—maybe 'sailed' isn't the right word. I barely made it across that 50k mark and just...stopped. It looked kind of like this:


I'm really quite tired. But considering the amount of Pop Tarts and Cherry Dr Pepper I've consumed over the past three week, I'm fortunate I'm not in some crazy sugar coma right now.

But I stopped because the Camp NaNoWriMo goal was to write 50k this month, and I did that.

It went so quickly this time around, largely because I remain unemployed, I know.

The other part of my July goal was to use that 50k to complete this draft of Second Nature. That part is less successful at this point, as the manuscript remains unfinished, and I'm not entirely sure how many more words it's going to take to finish it. Now that this NaNoWriMo session is over for me, I stop focusing so much on word count and focus instead on just getting the scenes done.

On that front, I believe I finally have all the necessary scenes worked out. Some remain in the wrong order (despite my best efforts to keep it straight, the timeline at the end of this book has gone all wonky on me), but that's an easy enough fix. More scenes are unfinished, which is less easy (I finished all the easy scenes already.), but it helps to have a plan. Probably.

Now I'm torn between attempting to finish it in the remaining eight days (seven days? I have no idea what day it is right now) or just crashing for a while and going back to it in September. Either way, I'm essentially taking August off from writing (family is coming to visit). I had hoped to be taking August off having finishing this draft, then having the opportunity to go back to the manuscript with fresher eyes after a month away from it. I'd really love to still be able to do that.

Which means I've probably just answered my conundrum. I need to finish writing this novel in the next seven or eight days.

Which means I should probably get back to work.

But before I go, here's a quick look at Camp by the numbers:


  • Starting word count at the beginning of the month: 252,085
  • Word count now: 302,125
  • Net Gain: 50,040
  • Average number of words per day: 2,085 (seriously, why can't I write like this every month??)
  • Number of songs written: 2 (with a possible third under construction)
  • Number of (named) characters killed: 2. No, 3. No, wait—5.


Thank you for stopping by! Enjoy your weekend, all.

36 comments:

  1. That's awesome you hit your target! Yes, finish it now. You're on a roll - don't stop until it's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was thinking. The part about me being on a roll, and trying to take advantage of the momentum.

      Delete
  2. Yay! Congratulations! Keep on going. You can do it! I often wonder why I can't keep the momentum I get during NaNo for the whole year too. Imagine the productivity! Have a good weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that productivity would be amazing. 2000 words a day every day? Just madness. Awesome madness.

      Delete
  3. Way to go. I'd say don't stop. Try to squeeze in those extra scenes and words before you take a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, why doesn't anyone want me to sleep?

      But yeah, everyone is absolutely right. I need to get out as many words as I can.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!

    One of the best feelings for a writer is that moment of Word Count Validation.

    (I'm only another 1916 words from my own finish line)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      And best of luck to you with your remaining words!

      Delete
    2. Woo hoo!!! I crossed the line yesterday. Spending today resting my aching fingers in a bowel of cold water.

      Are you doing it again in November?

      Delete
  5. Woo! Congrats! I'd say maybe take one day off (or just one really long nap) and then get back at it! You don't want to lose that momentum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't want to lose that momentum. That's why I haven't napped yet. If I sleep, I may not wake up until August. Of next year.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on completing the challenge! You should at least take a few hours off. Catch up on sleep and such. Then, I'd probably go forward and try to finish the entire book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie! I did take a little time off to watch some Parks & Rec reruns. Back to work I go!

      Delete
  7. Whoo hoo! You go girl! Congratulations on meeting your goal. Take the weekend off to recover, then get back to it on Monday. I'm sure you can finish in a week. It sounds like a gargantuan book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a Harry Potter marathon on cable this weekend...

      And yes, this is a gargantuan book. I'll be curious to see what will survive the first round of revisions.

      Delete
  8. That's amazing. Good for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats. And yes, you should keep going, at least until the end of the month. You know you want to (but no need to stress about it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to. But I probably will stress over it the entire time. (It's what I do.)

      Delete
  10. Yay! Good for you. I hope you're able to finish it. Maybe you can pretend that you haven't reached your goal yet and use that to motivate you. If you can keep the Dr Pepper/pop tart high going, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I absolutely can keep it going. My stomach, however, may have other ideas...

      Delete
  11. Yahoo!! That's so impressive!! You should be psyched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not as psyched as I thought I would be. There was a fist pump and maybe a little happy dancing, but that's about it.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations! Since your move, you've been a whole new person. It's like you've completely reinvented your writing mojo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a whole new person. A mildly depressed, unemployed person. But hey, if it works for my word count, who am I to complain, right?

      Delete
  13. Congratulations! Good-luck finishing Second Nature in the next few days and enjoy the visit with the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Murees! It doesn't look as though I'll be finishing Second Nature after all, but I'll certainly enjoy my family visit.

      Delete
  14. Congrats on the win! I ended up not doing Camp NaNo this time. I'm actually glad I didn't, because I needed a rest.

    Best of luck with finishing your book. Let me know if you need another pair of eyes on it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine you would need a rest. You published books this month! (Looking forward to hosting you next month!)

      Delete
  15. Congratulations on winning! That is such a huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey M.J.,

    Nicely done and hearty congrats. Let's make sure you don't get too stressed and don't let your stomach do the talking, so to speak, or not. Sorry, that made no sense. Welcome to my world :)

    Keep going but please maintain a pace that is comfortable for you, my kind friend.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gary. I'm pretty sure what doesn't make sense, though, are the 50,000 words I wrote this month. :)

      Delete
  17. Good job for winning! That's great! Isn't it fun when you get to kill off people? Gives you a bit of that *rub hands* MWAHAHAHAHA feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete