Monday, July 6, 2015

42,000

Well, another Fourth of July has come and gone, and we celebrated in the usual way: closing up the house, turning a movie up really, really loud, and working to keep the completely-panicked Belgian Malinois from melting down. (Our other dog is deaf, so he doesn't much care what's going on outside. If he doesn't see it, it doesn't exist.)

As for the rest of the weekend, I went to the beach and got a couple of really stupid tan lines that prove, once again, that I have no idea how to properly apply sunscreen. Perhaps I shall improve in that regard the longer I live here. Or perhaps I'll just look like a freshly-cooked lobster all year round.

I also wrote a little. Very little, really. As of this posting, I am six days into Camp NaNoWriMo and I am a whopping 28 words ahead of par. (Over par? Above par? I know in golf one wants to be under par, but I think in this situation, one strives to be over par. Questions? Comments? Concerns?)

I may or may not have slacked off over the weekend. But I suppose it could be worse. I could be 28 words under par.

The first five days saw a couple of interesting story revelations. It's weird, I know, that I can be writing one thing with a clear path in mind, but then another, completely new, completely unplanned thing shows up on the page. I'm not quite sure where it'll lead yet, or even if these fun new detours will survive past August, but that's a problem for August. Or maybe even September.

But as I need roughly 42,000 words more, they're staying for now. Perhaps forever. Perhaps the remaining 42,000 words will prove that the unexpected detours were the road I needed to be traveling down all along.

Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me.

Which means I need to have some laser-type focus. So allow me, now, to reiterate my rules for a successful NaNoWriMo experience for one and all:

WHEN IT IS OKAY TO INTERRUPT ME WHEN I'M WRITING:

1. The house is on fire.

(This could be expanded to include such natural disaster-type things such as imminent hurricanes and/or tornadoes (rumor has it those are a thing around here. Just another reason to love the Sunshine State.)

2. Joss Whedon is here to see you.

(This is self-explanatory, right?)

WHEN IT IS NOT OKAY TO INTERRUPT ME WHEN I'M WRITING:





EVERYTHING NOT INCLUDED IN THE ABOVE TWO STATEMENTS. I HAVE SWORDS, AND IF I THROW ONE AT YOU, I WON'T HIT THE WALL LIKE BUFFY DID. I, SADLY, DON'T HAVE HER WEAPON-THROWING SKILL SET. OR, REALLY, ANY OF HER SKILL SETS FOR THAT MATTER. BUT STILL...NO INTERRUPTIONS.


Because I have 42,000 words to write and 25 days in which to write them.

That's going to do it for me today. Thanks for stopping by. Happy Monday!

34 comments:

  1. I set a low word count goal for myself this Camp NaNo - minimum 20,000 words - and so far, so good. I just want to have a draft of something to work with. I'd also like to feel like I accomplished something - finally? please? - this month.

    You've got pretty much the whole month left to go - you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering if I should have set a smaller word count goal. Some days I can't imagine what I'll do with all those words. But I guess I'll find out.

      I'm really hoping to have that completed draft at the end of the month. It's been a while since I've had that feeling of accomplishment.

      Delete
  2. Yay, for getting some relaxing this weekend. Congratulations on being 28 words ahead. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're ahead though, and that's what matters.
    Promise not to interrupt you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm probably behind again by now, but I'll get caught up. :)

      Delete
  4. Even being a little bit ahead is better than being behind. You can get those words done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you get your 42 thousand words in.

    Hugs and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelly! Chocolate's bound to help, right?

      Delete
  6. You should definitely be celebrating the fact that you're ahead of your word count, no matter by how much or how little - you're still ahead! Good luck with the rest of Camp - really hope you manage to reach your word count, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 28 words is better than no words, but I had a much larger lead earlier in the month. I miss that lead now.

      Delete
  7. Good luck, MJ. (That's not an interruption right? *prepares to dodge sword just in case*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, definitely not an interruption. I mean things more like coming into my office to tell me about the toad sitting on the patio. That will get a sword thrown at you. Every time.

      I mean...I don't throw swords. That would be wrong.

      Delete
  8. I wish I had gone to the beach this weekend! I was a lazy bum all weekend. I barely got off the couch. Which means I hardly wrote anything. I kept wanting to but I was either way too tired or struggling so badly that I rewrote one paragraph four times!

    Your reasons to interrupt and not to interrupt you made me laugh. One of mine that would be acceptable is if dinner is ready. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the one who has to cook dinner in our house. Which is incredibly sad because I can't cook. We eat a lot of take out.

      Delete
  9. I would let Joss interrupt me too. Good luck on that word count. I need a few more than that to get my WIP done.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that the 50,000 will be enough to help me get this WIP done. You know, because everyone needs an 300k word manuscript to tote around.

      Delete
  10. A deaf dog is kind of blessed :). My poor cats were freaking out all night.

    I'll go leave you alone now as I'd like you to get to work on that sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is certainly blessed on the Fourth of July, that's for sure. I'm sorry your cats were freaking out. Fireworks don't seem to faze mine at all.

      Delete
  11. Keep it up, you're doing well. I love your list of accepted interruptions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it's best to keep them clear and straight forward.

      Delete
  12. You know, they make spray on sunscreen now. That might help. A little.

    Congrats on your word count. I'm just editing. And rewriting chapters. And editing. I'm sure you'll pull it all out in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have more luck with the spray-on sunscreen. I'll have to give it a try.

      And I'll be editing. And rewriting chapters. And editing. In September, though. Well, provided I finish this draft as planned.

      Delete
  13. Saw on Twitter that you're making progress! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. At least you had some rest before diving back in again. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really like to build up my word counts during the week so that I do have the option of slacking off during the weekends. My significant other isn't as accepting of the NaNoWriMo experience as he'd like to think he is.

      Delete
  15. May your muse come for a long visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing. Thanks.

      Delete
  16. Over or under par, it would be much worse if you were five days in and only had 28 words. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. There was one NaNoWriMo where I didn't get even started writing until about Day 10, and I managed to win by the end of the month. So this time around it should be easy, right?

      Delete
  17. What if Joss Whedon is on fire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHY WOULD YOU EVEN SAY SUCH A THING?!?!?!?!?

      Quick—go do some anti-jinxing, counter curse type stuff!!

      Delete