Monday, June 22, 2015

The First Day Of The Rest Of My Life

I may have mentioned this before—and it is perhaps expected, given my utter lack of enthusiasm for the state in which I now live—but I've been a bit...down. Blue. Sad, even.



But not anymore.

Well, maybe not anymore. There is a plan, and I'm going to put it into place, but all too often do my plans fizzle out in favor of sitting on the couch and watching my favorite moments from Joss Whedon shows (not even entire episodes, just moments) while binge eating some chocolate-y, chocolate-covered, chocolate baked goods.

This is especially true when the plans involve any form of healthy eating and/or exercise. I did well for a while there—doing yoga every day and cutting sugar out completely, even—but I fell off the wagon big time and never really went back.

Until now. But I'm not doing that whole cutting-sugar-out-completely thing. That's crazy talk. Past M.J. didn't know what she was doing. Past M.J. wasn't starting a Camp NaNoWriMo session in eight days.

One cannot hope to take on the challenge that is Camp NaNoWriMo without sugar.

It's possible that that previous statement isn't entirely accurate. I'm sure some writers out there somewhere can and do complete the challenge sans sugar. I'm just not going to be one of them.

So the next eight days are all about preparation and getting pumped—enthusiasm-wise, I mean. Not, like, Hans and Franz.



And if I should happen to work out what the hell it is that I'm going to write, then that's even better.

(I've never done NaNoWriMo with a plan before. Wonder what that would be like.)

Lately, I've just been writing whatever random snippets of whatever random scenes pop into my head. This usually means dialogue between two characters—and nothing but the dialogue. I build upon it a little at a time until I have a full-fledged scene. Most of them aren't particularly good, and most will never make it into the novel itself, but I'll throw them all against the wall (not literally, though) and see what sticks. (Why am I suddenly craving spaghetti?)

In the past, I have gotten some interesting scenes out of the exercise, and—should it work this time—perhaps one of those scenes will be the key that gets this story from where it is to that mythical, elusive, magical place known as...



It's not a very well thought-out plan, I know. It essentially boils down to this:


But like the scenes I'll be throwing against the wall (again, not literally), one never knows what will stick until one tries.

Or something.

So that's me on this fine Monday. What's going on in your corner of the globe?

Also...I apologize for my rampant GIF addiction. I can't seem to help myself. I shall look into a 12-step GIF addiction program right away. Well, maybe in August.

40 comments:

  1. Try not to be too hard on yourself - you made a big move, a big life change and that takes some getting used to.

    The flexibility of Camp NaNo is so great - have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being hard on myself...Nope, that doesn't sound like me at all. (Except it totally does, I know.)

      It's just that I don't have the patience for being down/blue/sad here. I don't want to waste anymore time on it.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Madeline; moving is extremely stressful and it's no surprise it's thrown you off your game. Good luck with Camp NaNo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do believe I will need all the luck I can get.

      Delete
  3. Hope Camp NaNo kicks your writing butt in gear. You're right, you might need the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. And it's possible that I shall need all the sugar in all the world.

      Delete
  4. We say around our house, 'plan your work and then work your plan.' So I hope your plan works out even if you have to dip it in a little sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun Dip! I should totally get some Fun Dip before Camp starts! (Thanks, Susan!)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good plan. I just need to stop screwing around and get busy on my plans. Sorry you don't like Florida. Maybe you will in the winter.

    Hugs and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure in December when I'm going to the beach instead of standing outside in waist-deep snow, trying to shovel a path to my car, that I will love it here.

      Delete
  6. I could do it without sugar but not salt. I'm weird that way.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably could do it without salt. Unless I had a major French fry craving.

      Delete
  7. I think sugar is a staple for any NaNoWriMo event. I'm finding that the more I plan my novels, the more likely I am to stick it through to the end :). Good luck with Camp NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a lot of planning on this novel (and the series). It's just developing a plan that doesn't fall apart that I struggle with. :)

      Delete
  8. I've never even done NaNo...I might this year if I'm not as far as I need to be on my current WIP, so I think the fact that you're doing Camp NaNo is awesome! You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NaNoWriMo is a lot of fun. Crazy, occasionally stressful fun. You should give it a try sometime.

      Delete
  9. Good luck with Camp NaNo! Even if what you write doesn't stick (i.e. stay in the novel), I'm sure it's a good exercise to learn more about your characters that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I figure. If those scenes don't work out, they'll probably lead me to scenes that will.

      Delete
  10. You're blog just ate my comment, which was kind of long winded and I'm feeling too lazy to type it all up again so I'll just say this: Have fun throwing stuff at walls. Try it literally too, might relieve any stress. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I didn't think of that. I'll give it a try. :)

      Delete
  11. Good luck with Camp NaNo. I just signed up too because I need a push to get me to finish this book. Maybe I'll see you there….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be the one binge eating s'mores. :)

      Delete
  12. Throwing stuff at walls is fun. I still do that with spaghetti... just don't tell my husband and son that I'm throwing their dinner around! Good luck with Camp NaNo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. NaNo once a year is enough for me! I'm impressive that you'll do it twice. (unless you're skipping) November?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't decided upon November NaNo yet. It will ultimately depend upon what's going on that month, writing-wise. In theory, Second Nature will be finished, so I'll likely start work on Book 3 in the series.

      Delete
  14. That past MJ, getting involved in stuff when she's not the one who has to deal with it. She has some nerve. Good luck with Camp NaNo. You'll do great. You might sink the state of Florida like Atlantis or something, but the writing will go fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as the writing goes fine, I'm good with whatever. Probably.

      Delete
  15. I think it's awesome that you're doing Camp NaNoWriMo. I wish I had the time to do it!

    But I think it's very wise not to give up sugar during this attempt. That could be disastrous. At least, it would be if it were ME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be disastrous for me too. :)

      Delete
  16. Yep, you just made a major move. No wonder you're feeling out of sorts. But good luck with Camp NaNo. Maybe one of those days you'll find the novel in the words.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I get in that depressive state (mentally, not actual Florida), I binge-watch Netflix and eat massive amounts of sugar for a week. And then one day I just seem to snap out of it and get busy writing again-- usually after I throw the ms in the trashcan…and then rescue it again five hours later. Anyway, good luck with the summer NaNo writing. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't thrown out the manuscript yet—thought about it lots, though. :)

      Delete
  18. Maybe you should throw them literally against the wall. Or shoot them there with arrows. Or knives. Or something.
    Oh, wait, you're in Florida. You can use a gun and say it was self defense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrows or knives, daggers, maybe. Guns? Not so much.

      Delete
  19. eating healthy and exercising may start with E's just like the word easy but they are not easy. not at all!! good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the gifs so please don't work on that addiction. :D
    Good luck with NaNo, I'm sure you will rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL, that's OK. I love GIFs. And I did kick the sugar habit, but it tool years - not joking - of effort and failing and more effort and failing. But yeah, I wouldn't recommend it before Camp Nano!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Camp Nano is fun! We should be in the same cabin--my user name is Lara Lacombe :)

    ReplyDelete