Monday, June 29, 2015

In Which I Bring Back Goal Posts

I haven't done a monthly goal post for a while now. I just checked—the last post that concerned a goal that wasn't "pack up my belongings and move to the other end of the East Coast" was October 2014. There were two goals set that month:

1) Finish Part Two of my then-current (and hell, still-current) WIP, Second Nature.

and

2) Walk, run, or bike at least 88 miles.



I never blogged about whether I had accomplished these goals. I know for a fact that I didn't make the first one, as I didn't finish Part Two until March of this year. I checked my mileage log (Yes, I have a mileage log. Yes, I know it's weird.) and saw that I only logged 50 miles last October, with a note written in the margin that that was the month I was dealing with my horrendous back injury. So given that, I think 50 miles was pretty damn good.

But anyway, as part of my goal to get back into the swing of things, I am bringing back my monthly goal setting, and I am posting them on this blog to help hold me accountable.

And now, without any further ado, here are my goals for the month of July:


1. Win Camp NaNoWriMo and, by doing so, complete this never-ending draft of Second Nature.

I'm so excited for Camp to start this Wednesday. And scared. But excited. And scared. But, you know, excited. Really. It's going to be great. Or, potentially a disaster, but it's going to be great. Have I mentioned that I'm excited? (And scared?) I really want to finish this book this July.



2. Attempt to make some progress on my Goodreads Reading Challenge.

Back in January, I set a goal to read 60 books this year. In general, it's not too difficult for me to achieve this...She says as she admits that last year, she only finished 56 books. And so far this year, I've only managed 19 books. According to Goodreads, I am ten books behind schedule. Could be worse, I suppose, but I'd like to make up some ground on that this month. This could be a crazy goal to set, given that I'm also attempting to write 50,000 words this month, but it's not like I have a day job. (And it's not like I'm still bitter about that, either.)



3. Log some serious mileage.

I'm also way behind on my 2015 mileage goal. In January, I set out to log 800 miles (via walking, running, biking, etc.). I have 730 miles to go. So way, way behind. Last July I managed 125 miles, so I'll shoot to meet that number this July. Again, it's possible I'm setting myself up for much failure come August, but go big or go home, right?

Right.

Just think of it this way: If I keep crazy busy, I won't have time to dwell on how much I don't enjoy living on the surface of the sun. (Yes, I know the surface of the sun is much hotter than Florida, and that if I truly did live on the surface of the sun, I would have been incinerated or whatever long before now, but C'MON! Just give me this one, okay?)

And on that note, I'm outta here. Gotta rest up while I still can...July's going to be rather busy. (I hope.)

Have you set any goals this month? This week? Maybe just today?

39 comments:

  1. I'm with you on all those Camp NaNo feelings. I set myself a loose word count goal, keeping the project kind of vague - probably linked stories, maybe not, etc - with the idea that the process will be more freeing. We'll see what happens. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just stuck with the 50,000 because I didn't know what else to do. I honestly have no idea at all how many words it might take to finish this project. It'll probably be something like 49,990...

      Delete
  2. Good luck and I hope you finish that never ending story next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it!
    Bike early before the sizzle rolls in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I need to do. It's just the 'early' part that keeps tripping me up. :)

      Delete
  4. Except for the heat where you are, the miles sound doable. Good luck with Camp NaNo. I have 'plans' more than goals for this year.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat is killing me. I did so much better at home. Also, having a job helped. Every shift was like an 8 hour work out.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you're bringing back your monthly goals. :)

    I have a feeling you'll win Camp NaNo. Catching up on my Goodreads Challenge is also one of my goals. Good luck reaching your mileage goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a feeling that I'll win Camp NaNo. Yet, at least. I do hope one develops soon.

      Delete
  6. Good luck, MJ!

    PS: Your blog has decided to hate me. Last few times I've commented, it's eaten my comment. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is not cool of my blog. I wonder what its problem is lately. Perhaps the heat is too much for it, as well.

      Delete
  7. Good luck with your goals! I probably should do Camp NaNo, but I think I tried last year with the same goal in mind (editing my novel) and failed miserably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's still time to sign up...

      I think the good thing about the Camp sessions is that the goals are totally flexible.

      Delete
  8. Good luck with your goals! And that's amazing you got 50 miles last October with a back injury. I hope Camp NaNo goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being insanely stubborn occasionally works out. :)

      Delete
  9. I hope your crush your goals. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been doing my goals by day. Life is and has been crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make daily to-do lists. They're kind of goals, I guess. :)

      Delete
  11. Good luck with your goals! I'll probably see you around Camp...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can do it!! What you've achieved so far sounds pretty awesome to me - especially clocking up 50 miles with a back injury! Good luck with Camp NaNo, and keep us updated :)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck on your goals! I hope you finish the draft. I can't wait to see it when it comes out.

    And you don't live on the surface of the sun. You live in the area just outside the sun, which is actually much hotter than the inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then perhaps I should move to the inside immediately. One question though...is there A/C?

      Delete
  14. Good luck with your goals. I know you can do it. July is my birthday month, so my goals consist of not getting all growly about said birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should probably have that goal during my birthday month as well. :)

      Delete
  15. I actually host a monthly bloghop where we set goals and then update monthly on our progress. It does help to keep me on track. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trigger happy pinkie strikes again.

      Anyway. Best of luck with your goals! I know you can do it!

      Delete
  16. You can achieve all those goals. Although, if it's that hot, maybe give yourself some slack on the mileage, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel as though I have given myself three months of slack. It's time for the slack to end.

      Delete
  17. Woot woot! As the day before CampNaNoWriMo hits, I wish you the best of luck with lots of mileage, both on your feet and with your fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 50 miles with a back injury is impressive. I'm way behind on my goals this year as well. I'm cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey, at least you have goals! and now that you're settled in, you can work on them, right?
    And I can't wait for Effigy to be the next Game of Thrones/Robin Hood HBO series cause George isn't writing much these days either! Could also go to SHOWTIME or FX =)
    keep at it! ps - love your tweets too - too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Camp day!! I can't wait to hear all about it - when you get a chance to come up for air :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm exhausted just reading your goals! You can do it though - you are focused, you are awesome, and gosh darn it---people like you. Go, go, GO!

    ReplyDelete