Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Dog Day Afternoon

If you've read this blog for any length of time, you're likely familiar with my youngest dog, Gator Girl. She's a Belgian Malinois, and if you're not familiar with the Malinois breed, just imagine a dingo on crystal meth. They're an intense breed, high energy and high intelligence, and popular as police and military dogs for this reason. Gator Girl doesn't often stop moving unless forced. Attempting to tire her out often feels like a fool's errand, and more often than not outright fails.

Once, during an agility class, Gator Girl was so wound up that I had to take her out to another field and throw a ball for her to fetch in between runs. This is the conversation I had with the instructor following that class:

Him: Gator Girl needs to run three miles before she comes here.
Me: We ran five.
Him: Damn.

So, yeah. She's the alternative energy source for which we've all been searching.

Of course, as I write this, this is what she's doing:


Anyway, today is the Gator Girl's birthday. She is ten years old today. Given her energy level, it doesn't feel as though she's ten years old, but she is. Seems like only yesterday she was this tiny, little baby:


She grew up to be a criminal mastermind, stealing cookies and then hiding the evidence of her crimes. I'd like to say that we learned to outsmart her, but...yeah, that's never really happened. I did learn, however, to keep the cookies in a locked cupboard above the refrigerator.

Anyway, here are a few of my favorite Gator Girl pictures:

In the midst of a 9 foot broad jump

Hanging out after a swim in the river

At the summit of Mt. Chocorua in New Hampshire

In the snow

She's adjusting well to Florida, I think. (Everyone who isn't me is.) There'a dog beach on the ocean not too far away from us, and I've taken her there a few times. She'd never seen the ocean before, as became obvious to everyone when she RAN AWAY from the waves on our first visit (much to the amusement of everyone else on the beach). Fortunately, we soon found an abandoned tennis ball in the sand. Gator Girl will go just about anywhere in pursuit of a tennis ball. Including the Atlantic.


Not that the tennis balls ever survive.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you're having a good one.

28 comments:

  1. She shreds them - good dog!
    Happy birthday to Gator Girl. Sounds like you will never wear her out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She shreds everything. No toy is safe. I have to keep a stockpile of her favorites, just in case.

      Delete
  2. Yeh for Gator Girl! She'll become a beach dog yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! She did much better on her second and third visits, so think we're making progress.

      Delete
  3. Ha! I love your dog! She looks so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She usually does...unless you're looking deep within her eyes. Then you see all the crazy. But she's a sweet girl.

      Delete
  4. "We ran five." "Damn." I cracked up at that.

    Happy Birthday to Gator Girl! :) I enjoyed the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can laugh about the five miles thing now. At the time, however, it was more of a defeated whimper.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to Gator Girl! She looks like a happy dog. Hopefully she'll like the beach as much as the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. With enough trips, I think she'll get there.

      Delete
  6. I know that breed is famous for their intelligence and athleticism. She's beautiful/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, I love your dog! That's an impressive jump. Happy birthday, Gator Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a dog beach not too far from here, too. The idea of waves frightening her makes me laugh.

    Happy birthday, Gator Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "a dingo on crystal meth" - LOL! Fantastic description. I love her already. Happy Birthday, Gator Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful dog, but I don't think I could keep up with her and her energy. It's a shame you can't bottle that energy and sell it. You'd make millions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "We ran five." :) That is too funny. And oh, that picture of that baby puppy is soooo cute (was she even more boisterous then?). I love how she seems to be smiling in all the pics except for the one of her lying down. Really, I could look at animal posts all day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday to Gator Girl! :) She's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to Gator Girl. She sounds absolutely awesome. No wonder you manage to stay fit. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday to your Gator baby. She's a pretty pup. I love dogs that are balls of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Gator Girl. She's beautiful. When we lived in FL one of our dog trainers had a Belgian Melanois. They put him in professional classes of some sort, but I'm not sure what they were.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful dog! Happy Birthday, Gator Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, Gator Girl looks so precious. Happy birthday to her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gator Girl. Love the name - and it's easy to see the love you - both - have for each other!!

    Awesome pictures and high paws to the birthday gal :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday, Gator Girl! Glad she's settling in down there. Hope you will be soon! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy belated birthday to Gator Girl. The time goes so quickly. One moment a puppy, the next, a ten year old lovable dog.

    Penny's alleged human,

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete