Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The State Of The Novel Address

One of the first things I did upon moving into my new house was to get some semblance of a storyboard back on my walls. (The kitchen could wait.)

Yes, I still have my Trello board, but my office just doesn't feel like an office to me without a storyboard. Oh yeah, that's right—my new office has wall space enough for me to have a storyboard there and not on my dining rooms walls.

And there was much rejoicing (by The Man, anyway).



But as I still haven't uncovered all of my original storyboard supplies, and the big-ass bulletin board remains un-hung, it's not a full and complete storyboard. Yet, anyway, but it's something, and I needed something because I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN IN THIS WIP.

Shortly before the Big Move, I wrapped up a draft of Part Two of Second Nature. I dabbled a little with Part Three before realizing that I no longer knew where the story was going to go. The Big Move happened, and the WIP got shoved onto the back burner (a fact over which I was incredibly mature and understanding and did not at any point throw a major temper tantrum) until recently.

My writing pattern thus far as been as follows:

1. 

Yay! I have an idea, and it's awesome!


2.

What was I thinking? That idea was terrible! I'll come up with a new one.


3.


Any minute now...


4.

Hey, I think there's some vital housework that needs to be done.

I know how Part Three starts, and I have an idea as to how Part Three ends (or should end). What I've done (or am doing) is scribble a one-sentence synopsis of a scene I think would work onto a post-it and slap it on the wall. I add or subtract or rearrange as my thought process dictates. There's no real rhyme or reason to anything yet. Mainly, it's just a compilation of character confrontations I think should happen based on the events of Part Two. In doing all of this, I'm hoping that I'll be able to work out how to connect A to C.

I'd really like to get this draft finished. I'd originally hoped to have this book out this coming July, but now I'm hoping that the first draft might be finished. I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. I just find it discouraging that I'm still working on it.

But I'll keep working on it. I don't tend to give up easily—unless, of course, we're talking about exercising or eating health—and I'm certainly not going to give up on this project. I'm obsessed with it, and I'm dying to know what'll happen next.

So that's the status of my writing. How's yours coming along?


41 comments:

  1. I'm currently procrastinating, so no writing for me. It's awesome that you have your storyboard up and that you are making notes about what could or should happen. Don't worry, the ideas and writing will come, just give yourself some time. Have some cake while you wait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have some cake...I could do that. :)

      Delete
  2. You'll get back in the groove and figure out how to connect the dots.
    Writing on hold at the moment. Still dealing with my latest release and recovering from the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a new book out is a good excuse to have your writing on hold. Congrats on that, by the way. I know I missed it.

      Delete
  3. The fact that you're "dying to know what'll happen next" means all that enthusiasm will come out in the story and across to your readers. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that's the case. But yeah, I really do want to know how everyone's going to end up.

      Delete
  4. Moving/change can be very stressful so I'm not surprised that it's taking you a bit to get back into the swing of things. Meanwhile I've had a pretty good writing week (for me): I finished up chapter 19 over the weekend and will probably have ch 20 finished by this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an excellent writing week to me!

      Delete
  5. #3 and #4...yup, that's been me for the longest time now. :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there—I'm sure you'll get back to #1 soon!

      Delete
  6. A big change like a move can throw anyone off for a while. You'll get there! And having a start for what comes next is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be a good thing if it turns out that I'm on the right plot path, anyway. And the jury's still out on that. :)

      Delete
  7. At least you're getting your storyboard up! That's a start :)
    I think we never get things done as fast as we hope or imagine. I've been working on the same WIP for over four years, for crying out loud! Sometimes I feel like I'll never finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked on Effigy for ten years, so don't worry about your four. You'll get there, and you've already got a lot of people eager to read it! (myself included)

      Delete
  8. My writing is at a bit of a stand still because of my publishing/marketing efforts.

    By the way, you're more than welcome to mail me if you need a sounding board to talk yourself through to point C. I realized that it helps a lot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another good reason for one's writing to be at a stand still. :)

      A human sounding board does help a lot. I've used my dogs a few times, but they're seldom interested.

      Delete
  9. I'm currently trying to outline two new WIPs, before starting my first drafts. of both novels I haven't really worked on two projects at once before, so by the end of it I'll either be fantastic at writing outlines, or I'll be burnt out/paralysed by fear. I think I know which option it's most likely to be ;). Love the idea of putting a stroyboard up - might ask my partner if I can do the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tackling two WIPs at once is quite the challenge! I wish you luck with it.

      And if you don't have the space for a physical storyboard, you should look into Trello. It's a good substitute.

      Delete
  10. Yay for having a room for your storyboard!

    I totally feel you on being stuck. As you saw on my blog, I'm stuck on the end events of my story too. But at least you've got an attack plan (write until you get more ideas).

    I know you'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We attack the mayor with hummus.

      Works every time...

      Delete
  11. A little bit like yours without being amusing at all. Too many things going on this month. Glad you're getting settled.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You'll get your groove back despite the move messing it up. I have faith.
    As for me, I finished a WIP last night and I have edits from a beta reader to look at. In short, I have lots to procrastinate about. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to have things over which to procrastinate. :)

      Delete
  13. Well, of course the storyboard came first. It's a matter of what's important. And I think you're doing good work trying to figure out where your story is going to go. Your tenacity will result in an excellent book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Storyboard will trump kitchen every time. No contest.

      Delete
  14. Fantastic that you have a storyboard. And the kitchen will get unpacked while you procrastinate! Me... I not only did housework, I mowed. Front and back lawns. Yup. And now I'm thinking about Loki. My WIP? Umm, yeah. I'm so out of the usual pace for myself in that I'm not writing the first draft madly. This is one slow and heavy novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really all I needed in the kitchen was a collection of take-out menus...

      I spend some time each day distracted by Loki. It's completely understandable.

      Delete
  15. Big. Move. Let your brain get settled before you worry about getting the novel back on track. That's how you'll know you're settled. The story will return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since Florida and I have been clashing so much, I'm a little afraid to wait until my brain in settled. It might never happen! I think I left the story in New England. I should go get it...

      Delete
  16. That may be the greatest use of Gifs I've ever seen and also describes my writing process as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was quite pleased with that particular collection gifs. :)

      Delete
  17. Maybe hanging the board and looking at it in a new space will spark some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not consider that. Wouldn't that be great.

      Delete
  18. Yay! Storyboard and office!! Yay opening! Boo tiny middle! Yay ending. So there's my much mixed rejoicing over the status of your wip. You'll manage it. I loved the gifs. Someday I will figure out how to wield gifs in all my spare time. Then I will be unstoppable and my sea monkey minions and I will truly take over the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should warn you that once you do master the art of gifs, they will rule your existence...

      Delete
  19. That's my writing process, at the moment, to a tee! It's a harsh feeling, isn't it? Hope you get that flash of inspiration soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm having a similar problem with my new book. I know what happens but I just can't seem to get there… Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such is the joy of writing a series....I feel your pain. But at least you have your storyboard! Those are amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can I just take this post and repost it on my blog? Probably not . . . but you could come and do a guest post, or maybe we should swap post-it notes and see if we can make sense of each other's WIPs. I'm in a similar pickle . . I thought I was just mildly revising Destiny, and instead, I want to throw out everything and start over . . . with the knowledge of what happens in the third part of the book still intact.
    Love your gifs

    ReplyDelete