Monday, May 11, 2015

Life Among The Floridians

So here I am. Living in Florida. Have been for a month now.

HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!?!?

Wait...I know how it happened: beer. Stupid, foamy beer. Lowers one's inhibitions and makes them thinks things like living in Florida is a good idea.


Let this be a lesson to you, kids.

Needless to say, Florida and I have gotten off to a bit of a contentious beginning.

The road trip down wasn't bad. Except for Fat Cat biting me twice in a Massachusetts rest stop, John Oliver making me terrified of bridges (the worst episode ever to watch the night before one was scheduled to drive over the Tappan Zee Bridge), the Gator Girl's anxiety-induced diarrhea the second night, and Big's third morning nosebleed that made the hotel room look like a set from Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the entire trip was on the verge of boring.

Then we arrived in Florida. Now, in the interest of fair and balanced reporting (ha!), I need to mention that The Man, the dogs, the cats are all just fine, and seem to be adjusting nicely. Enjoying themselves, even.

Then there's me. Me, who hates change. And heat. And humidity. Among other things.

Since we got here, I have felt off-balance. I can't get my bearings, I can't get my feet under me. I sincerely hope that this feeling dissipate, and soon. Until then, I am in serious "Fake It Until You Make It" mode.

So here now, for your reading pleasure, is a list of...

Things I Like About Florida:

1. The beach isn't too far away. I think I've been to the beach more in the last month than the last 5 years put together. I do like the beach. (Of course, I'm still unemployed at the moment. Thinking a day job will cut into my going-to-the-beach time. Stupid day jobs.)

2. The library set-up is nice. I have a library card that allows me to check out books from any library in the county. And there are a lot of libraries—I've been to two thus far. There's at least five more. One is just over a mile from my house. I do like libraries.

3. The area grocery stores have excellent bakeries that have excellent cake. I do like cake.

4. ...C'mon, c'mon, think! You can't have just three things!

5. Oh! I have a mailbox. Like, at the end of my driveway. It's been years since I've had a mailbox at the end of my driveway. At home, the town snowplow would hit my mailbox every single winter, and I wouldn't find it until two months later when the snow melted. It was usually three houses down by then. Eventually, we gave up with the mailbox and moved to a PO Box. Now I have an actual mailbox again.

6. And speaking of things being delivered to my house instead of me having to go get them, there are actual restaurants here that will deliver actual food right to your actual door. We never had any delivery back home. Here. when you call to place an order. they just assume that they're bringing it to you.

So, yeah. That's what I've got thus far.

I'm attempting to get things back to normal as best I can, and that includes blogging. This poor blog has been woefully neglected during this entire process—not to mention how many of your posts I've missed out on. I want to do better. Starting this week. I can't promise I'll be wildly successful (I've been writing this post for weeks now...), but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Thanks for stopping by today. It's much appreciated.

40 comments:

  1. Glad you're alive and well in sunny Florida. I admit I'm a little envious...or I will be once the summer is over :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll be glad when summer's over.

      Look at what you've done to me, Florida!

      Delete
  2. Sorry the plow kept taking out your mailbox. You won't have to worry about that in Florida. Glad to hear you made it and are at least enjoying the beach and the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really shouldn't have to worry about snowplows in Florida. One of the main reasons The Man was so keen to move here.

      Delete
  3. The beach, the library and food delivery - how much more do we need, really?

    I don't know where in FL you are, but I love the libraries in our county, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do make an excellent point. I shall take it under advisement. :)

      Delete
  4. Hehe! I also live in Florida and have lived here my whole life. I tell everyone who will listen that I want to move out of here some day. I hate the heat! And the heat is just starting. Wait until July, August, and September. During those months, I don't go outside.

    The libraries is one of the things I love too. I love being able to go from one city to another an being able to check out books at all the different libraries. The one where I used to live (two months ago) had a gift shop and cafe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every Floridian I've talked to about the heat laughs at me because I'm dying already and it's not even actually summer yet. I wonder if I could actually sit in the freezer.

      Delete
  5. I'm happy to hear you made it intact even though settling in has been rough for you. Libraries and cake, oh yeah. Hopefully you'll feel more settled soon and won't have to fake it until you make it much more, but at least you can cake it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can cake it with the best of them. :)

      Delete
  6. Welcome to Florida and humidity. I hope you don't melt this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I even make it until summer I'll be impressed.

      Delete
  7. Actual mailboxes are wonderful. And beach time sounds great. Our libraries are by counties too. I can go on the website and order any book in the system and they deliver it to my local branch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming it's the same set-up around here. I haven't even looked at the websites yet. But I'll get to it eventually.

      Delete
  8. Glad everyone made it and you're doing well! I'm sure you'll find more things to love!! I'd love going to the beach every day :)
    I hate the heat, too, but it's hot here as well. Yuck! I'm actually going to Florida at the end of the month, and I'll probably stay inside the whole time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a lot warmer at home lately. One day last week it was actually warmer in New Hampshire than it was in Florida. I think that was the first day I didn't feel like I was living on the surface of the sun.

      Delete
  9. Yay! You made it there in one piece, which is excellent news. I hope you get settled soon. I lived in New Zealand for three months and found it just as hard to get used to things. But at least the libraries in Florida are good and you have access to good cake, which is always a bonus :) Please take care and let us know how things progress. Oh! And don't worry about the day job, you will get one when you are ready. I think finding your feet is more important now, especially for your pets, as they can always tell when one is not always happy, or at least my pets do. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm concerned that the more time I have off from a day job will only make it harder to convince myself to go back to the retail grind.

      Delete
  10. Number 5 shouldn't be a problem in Florida. Unless you get a freak snow storm, but do they even have snow plows down there to hit mail boxes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to guess they don't have snow plows. So my mailbox is safe. Until a hurricane comes around anyway.

      Delete
  11. All the weirdest stories seem to come out of Florida. I see them on my Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be the heat. Fries everyone's brains.

      Delete
  12. Mailboxes are good! Now you can get fanmail. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you made it okay! I love the idea of living so near the beach!! I know how you feel about 'faking it until you make it'. I moved to Norfolk (the UK version) a year or so ago and it's only in the past few months I've started to get used to the idea. Every so often I wake up in a horrendously bad mood and want to move back up north to Cumbria again - I'm counting down the days until that's possible ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing the exact same thing. I have 16 years, 11 months to go!

      Hmmm. Perhaps I should stop counting down.

      Delete
  14. Oh the heat, the humidity! I'm melting and it's only early May. I could never survive down there. Enjoy the beach, and watch out for hurricanes. And maybe you'll find a Florida version of The Store ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that I will find a Florida version of The Store.

      Delete
  15. Haha, I hope life in Florida gets easier and the list of things you like begins to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you made it and are getting settled in. I love that one of the very first things you did was get a library card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have gotten it sooner, but I had to get my FL drivers licence first.

      Delete
  17. Glad you made it. It's a big move, so it'll take some time to get used to. At least you still have your TV shows. And movies. Perhaps you can find a great tourist trap to work in, and then you'll have tourist stories to tell on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the temper tantrum I threw over getting the cable hooked up was probably not one of my finest moments.

      Hello. My name is M.J., and I'm an addict.

      Delete
    2. Been there. Done that. In my defense, it was the third appointment (the second one they never showed for) and it had been over two weeks since I'd had TV.

      Delete
  18. Good luck adjusting. I can't imagine leaving Vermont at this point but every once in a while - early March, for instance - I understand the pull southward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time over the winter—one of those snow patterns that saw you finishing shoveling from one storm just in time to start shoveling for the next storm—that I thought moving south would be okay. I'm sure I'll feel that way again when December comes and I'm not shoveling snow.

      Delete
    2. There was a time over the winter—one of those snow patterns that saw you finishing shoveling from one storm just in time to start shoveling for the next storm—that I thought moving south would be okay. I'm sure I'll feel that way again when December comes and I'm not shoveling snow.

      Delete
  19. nice research you have done so far. i find this discussion very much interesting Adopt a dog

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck adjusting to the new environment. I know how hard it is to move (I moved every 2 years or so most of my life) and it does take a little while to feel at home in a new place. But it does happen.

    ReplyDelete