Monday, February 23, 2015

What's Happening

Because I know you're all dying to know, here's what's been going on with me.

The Home Front:

The house is under contract! The inspection happened last week, and nothing catastrophic (the realtor's words, not mine) was discovered, so I say we dance!

On an unrelated note, is anyone else depressed that this show is ending tomorrow?


Things just might not fall apart this time. Still, I'll breathe easier in about seven days when there will be no going back on our buyer's part.

Because the house is under contract, I'm really going to have to move to Florida. I'm really going to have to quit working at The Store. Technically, I stopped working at The Store back in December, but as I didn't actually leave town, I've been going in to help out from time to time because we had a complete Management turn over at the end of last year, and I was the only person who knew how to do a lot of things. And also because I am an OCD-ridden control freak who has a hard time letting things like her job go.

But I'll have to let them go this time. My new official last day is March 3rd. Let's see if this one sticks.

In other moving-related news, we'll be moving in April. But of course we will. This has put my A to Z Challenge plans in peril. I could pre-write and pre-schedule my posts, but I wouldn't be able to complete the other half of the challenge (the visiting and commenting on other blogs), and I would feel bad if I were to half ass this challenge. I just may have to wait until next year to join in on the fun.

But I am moving from one end of the east coast to the other. That will probably be fun enough. Hmmm. Maybe 'fun' isn't the right word.



The Writing Front:

Here's a shock: I'm still working on part two of Second Nature. I have two—just two—scenes left to complete before I can safely place part two into the 'finished' column. They're proving to be rather difficult to close out. They're part of the B story line, and that story line has been giving me the most trouble. I'm fairly certain there's a major rewrite on this story line in my future. Yay.



My goal is to get through these two remaining scenes, then take a (hopefully) brief hiatus from writing in order to get situating in my new office in my new house. I'm looking forward to once again having a storyboard on my wall, a monitor on my desk, and a chair in front of that desk. The novelty of sitting on a partially-deflated balance ball (swords and balance balls do not mix, in case you were curious) and typing on a tiny netbook screen has run its course. I know people type entire novels on their iPads or other tablets, but I will never be one of them.

The Other Fronts:

Hmmm. I don't actually have any other fronts. Maybe I should be more upset by that. Or maybe I should use it as an excuse to use this Nick Miller gif:


I do love Nick Miller.

And on that note, I'm out of here. I need to finish up those last two scenes and pack some more books (39 boxes and counting! The moving guys are thrilled.) and possibly some other things too. Thanks for stopping by. Hope y'all have a great day.

38 comments:

  1. I hear you about the A-Z Challenge. I was going to to do it but then decided against it. We'll be moving, having company, novel writing, etc throughout March and April, and I didn't want to half-ass the Challenge either.

    Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are moving along. And I will be spectating A to Z this year. Too overwhelmed to do otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you going to be my neighbor in Florida?

      Delete
    2. I am bound for the sunshine state. Still can't quite believe it.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, this is what I needed to see...more people possibly not doing the a-z. I debated and then had guilt (for no reason whatsoever, the blogosphere will live on without my alphabetical musings) As far as Parks & Rec, I was really sad when this final season started because I really didn't like it with the leap forward and such. Somebody told my daughter she'd like it, so maybe starting at the beginning will be fun.

    Gads about the move! Good luck to you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I haven't loved every moment of the final season, but the series as a whole will live forever in my Rewatch List.

      Delete
  4. Two scenes left - you can do it.
    Good news on the house. I hope your last day at the store sticks this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished one of those scenes this morning. One scene left. I can do it.

      I'm pretty sure it'll stick this time. One boss, though, keeps offering to buy me a helicopter so I never have to leave. I'm holding out for a pilot.

      Delete
  5. Two scenes left? Go, go, go! And good luck with the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the home selling thing works out. Florida sounds wonderful. That little picture about the scene in your mind and then on paper suits me perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll certainly enjoy Florida next winter when I'm not shoveling snow every other day. :)

      Delete
    2. Wait until you can walk on the beach during Thanksgiving and Christmas. :)

      Delete
    3. Well, technically, I could do that now. I'd just need snowshoes and several layers of thermal underwear...

      But yeah, I think I'll enjoy not needing that gear for walks on the beach.

      Delete
  7. You'll be so happy to put those storyboards up again. May you finish those scenes before you move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Words cannot adequately express how happy I will be to have my storyboards again!

      Delete
  8. Lots going on! Congrats on the house and pending move--you're finally doing it.

    Way to stick around for one of the worst winters on record btw. LOL Get it out of your system, no snow for you in Florida. :-)

    I'm so thrilled to here about all of the life progress. For me, that usually proceeds writing progress. So good things are coming there, too, I'd wager!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a very trying winter, but certainly not the worst we've seen in the Valley. Boston has had it much worse.

      Good things would be nice. Or, if failing that, I'll take not catastrophic things I can turn into a funny blog post.

      Delete
  9. It's my fault it's ending because every show I decide I like ends immediately after.

    Good luck on your house and your new last day. And the rewrite of course, although I'm sure you can handle it. Once you get a proper writing station, that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't wait to have a proper writing station again. That's going to feel like such a treat.

      And I have the same experience with shows.

      Delete
  10. I envy you moving somewhere warm. Do you know exactly where you're going in Florida? My mom lives there, somewhere in the middle of the state in some town no one has heard of. Still, it is warm...

    Good luck with the move :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're aiming to end up on the coast, a few hours south of Orlando.

      I like living in towns no one has ever heard of. Cuts down on tourists.

      Delete
  11. Good luck with the house and finally leaving The Store!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray! Finally you can move. And naturally it'll be during April. But that just means that in April 2016 you can A to Z all the wonderful things about living in Florida during the winter. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that as soon as I committed to A to Z, I'd end up moving in April.

      But that's a great idea for next year's challenge. I'll have to work on that one. What's twenty-six ways to say "NO SNOW OR DANGEROUSLY LOW WIND CHILLS"

      Delete
  13. Good luck with the move! Sounds like an exciting change for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bummer you can't do the challenge, but oh well. Moving will keep your plenty busy. (I don't envy you with all the moving I've done.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's been a while since I moved, but those were all much shorter distances with a much smaller household. I'm curious to see how this one plays out.

      Delete
  15. Wow, so much working out for you. Yay, happy dance with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have you finished both scenes? I saw in one of the comments that you finished one of them. Keep on rocking it! I know it'll be great.

    And Yay for getting to leave the store, and for getting all of the house stuff set in stone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not quite finished up that second scene. It is coming along though, so maybe today will be my lucky day.

      Delete
  17. Congratulations on the big move. That's AWESOME! If it makes you feel any better, last year I noticed VERY FEW of the participants did the part of the challenge where they visited blogs. I say go for it and visit when you can. Even if you visit just some, you'll be doing better than most of the participants, from what I observed. I was a visiting fool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to have that many books...
    Then we moved.

    ReplyDelete