Friday, January 30, 2015

Things Which Have Inspired Me Lately

Before we begin, I just wanted to mention that today I have the privilege of being interviewed over at Chrys Fey's blog. Stop by to discover a few (potentially) fun facts about both me and Effigy! Or, just stop by to say hello. Chrys has a wonderful blog—you should definitely check it out!

Now on to other things...

The other day, Deanie Humphrys-Dunne was kind enough to bestow upon me the Very Inspiring Blogger award.

Part of this award asks recipients to list three things that have inspired them the most over the last few weeks. So here are mine:

1. The A to Z Challenge— Sign ups started this week, and there are about 400 participants already. I love to do this in April. I didn't participate last year, and I hadn't really planned on doing it this year. Life is in flux, and I didn't want to commit to something I might not be able to see all the way through. But even though I told myself this, I have spent a couple of afternoons this week making plans to take the leap. I have two themes all planned right now. Don't know which one I'll go with, but it certainly seems as though I'll be taking the plunge after all. I may even write posts ahead of time. And that's just unheard of.

2.  These songs:






They're both the latest additions to the Second Nature playlist. In case you required more proof that I'm not writing a happy story.


3. Hearing from readers. I know Effigy's readership is small (I am a disaster at marketing), like, super small, but I have received messages from some of them. Recently, one reader told me she stayed up all night reading because she just could not put the book down. This was one of the best things ever because, as I said in a post almost one year ago, I want to write books that make people want to stay up all night to read. Hearing that I actually made someone do that is very inspirational, to say the least. Thank you, readers—I am so incredibly thankful for you all. I am not worthy.


Now comes the part where I am supposed to nominate others for this award. And this is the part I never do the way you're supposed to. And here's the thing...at the risk of being overly sappy or something, all of you inspire me. Really, you do. I know I haven't been the world's most consistent blogger, but I love visiting and/or hearing from all of you. So please, if you're reading this, please consider yourselves awarded.



And on that note, I'm headed out. Thank you (you know, because I haven't use those words enough today) for stopping by today. Hope to see you next time.

36 comments:

  1. Congrats on the Very Inspiring Blogger Award! That Marilyn Manson song is one I enjoy listening to, as well. Very cool how it's part of the playlist for Second Nature! And wow, a reader staying up all night to read your book is something to squee about, for sure. Yay you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather!

      I let out a very tiny squee, and then hid under my desk for the rest of the day. But yes...Yay!

      Delete
  2. Already read the interview this morning.
    You can't resist the Challenge. Don't even try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I signed up last night. Now all I have to do is make a decision. No problem!

      Delete
  3. Signed up for the challenge. Looking forward to it this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Especially since I missed a year. I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder.

      Delete
  4. So glad you are enjoying your award, M. J. Congratulations again. You did a great job with this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh. Bad blood is quite haunting. I'm going to have to listen to that one again.

    That's great to hear that from one of your readers! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is haunting. The first time I heard it, I was all, "Damn! This IS my main character."

      Of course, I said the same thing about Born Villain. But it's true.

      Delete
  6. I'll go check out the interview.

    Congrats on the award, there is indeed much inspiration out there.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the award! I threw a few A to Z theme ideas around in my head before choosing one, too. It feels so much better to actually have a plan than just doing random posts every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be the first year I actually have a plan. Wonder if I'll actually stick with it.

      Delete
  8. Yes, join the challenge. Jooooooin ussssssss! Sorry, did that get too creepy? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not creepy at all.

      And I have officially signed up. Now to start those posts.

      Delete
  9. Interesting, I have sad faces instead of links to the videos. My internet has been weird lately.

    Glad to see you joining A to Z. Maybe. Hopefully the move will have happened by then...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats about the award! Good luck with the A to Z. I'm doing it with the Untethered Realms group again. It was so fun last year and easier to do it as a group effort. Boy, imagine if someone took those sentences out of context!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking things out of context? Who would ever do something like that?

      Delete
  11. Glad to hear you're doing the A to Z. A full month of MJ should be fun.

    And great interview. Glad to hear you listen to Natalie Merchant. I've been watching Agent Carter, and each week she reminds me of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With luck, readers will still feel that way by the end of the month.

      And you're right—Agent Carter and Natalie Merchant do share a resemblance. Now that's all I'll think about when I'm watching the show.

      Delete
  12. One of these years I will FINALLY do the A-Z challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun. A lot of work, too, but so much fun.

      Delete
  13. I wish I could do A-Z (It will be the first year I haven't in a while) but I'm going away for 2 weeks in April so...I guess I'll just enjoy my vaca and think of you all madly posting throughout the month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was doing A to Z once when I was away for a week, and it just made everything a little harder. I don't have any current plans to be away this April, but I'm sure that means I'll end up moving right in the middle of it.

      Delete
  14. That's soooo cool with the fan mail. I saw you tweet about it. Excellent! I won't be able to AtoZ this year, but I'll be cheering you all on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was excellent. Mostly surreal, though.

      Delete
  15. Congratulations on your award - well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's excellent about hearing from readers!

    I signed up for A-Z, too, even though we'll probably be in the middle of moving. Still working on a theme...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm worried that I'll end up moving in the middle of A to Z. I really want it to be done with before April, but I don't think I'm that lucky. :)

      Delete
  17. I'm right there with you. Those little notes or messages from readers are enough to carry me for weeks. I think that's really what it's about: connecting with people through your writing.

    ReplyDelete