Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Scary Hoarder Nest

Before I get down to the business of me being a scary hoarder in a scary hoarder nest, I just want to say that today I am also visiting author Crystal Collier, where I take part in the Two Truths and One Lie game. Guess which statement is the lie and enter for a chance to win an EFFIGY e-book. But be forewarned...I am a pathological liar. Of course, I might be lying about that...Stop by and say Hello!

ONWARD!

As I mentioned in my last post, The Man and I are endeavoring to move south. Part of the moving process has been the cleaning out of our current house. It's been a real eye-opening experience.

Apparently, I am a scary hoarder person. 

My house has a lot of closet space—like, just an insane amount of storage. In the fifteen years I've been in this house, I've managed to fill it all. Here are some of the many, many things that have been discovered thus far:

—Five boxes of magazines. And not little boxes either.
—A surprising amount of pie plates. Especially considering that I've never made a pie.
—A surprising amount of skeeballs for someone who doesn't own a skeeball machine. Ah, misspent youth.
—A box of Beanie Babies. Including the "ultra-rare" Princess Diana Beanie Baby. Because apparently, there was such a thing, and I just had to have it.




—A kick-ass collection of Absolut Vodka ads. It was a college thing. And kind of a now thing.

And then there are the books. Books, books, books. Oh. My. Goodness. I have a lot of books. I mean, it's not like I wasn't already aware of that fact. It's just that going through the the process of sorting and packing has really driven that point home. I have a lot of books. 

I've gone through a lot of them so far, and limited myself to keeping one hardcover and one paperback version of each book. Any extras—and there are several books which fall into that category—will be and have been donated to my local library. I'm not sure what they'll do with three copies of The Mists of Avalon. but they'll think of something, I'm sure.

Thus far, I have literally packed twenty-five boxes of books. And I still have shelves I haven't even touched yet.

The running joke in my family is that I'll need two moving trucks to get me to my new home (wherever that might be). One for my books, one for everything else.

I really hope they're not right. That could be embarrassing.

That's going to do it for me today...I'm off to the day job. Have a great day, all.


33 comments:

  1. Maybe you could donate some of those extra books to a library?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where they're going. I have three overflowing boxes for them.

      Delete
  2. I don't hoard, but I'm sure I would scare myself if we had to pack and move.

    Are Beanie Babies worth anything now? I still have that rare first unicorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Beanie Babies are only worth anything if they're ultra-rare. I have a unicorn in my box, too. Maybe I could finance my next book with it...

      Delete
  3. My new rule is that I have to really like or love a book for it to stay on my shelves. Otherwise, I pass it on to someone else or I donate it to the library bookstore, etc. It works...for the most part. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started to do that with my books because there are just so many boxes. The problem is I love them all. =)

      Delete
  4. Have a great day at work. I'm envious of your amount of books. I read a lot of books, but own very few of them. Thanks to my childhood spent reading at the library. But I'm definitely working on building my own. Good luck with the packing up. I've lived in the same house for 28 years and would have a serious panic attack if I had to pack my stuff up. I think I might be hoarding some things too.

    At least now you know what you have. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep walking around going, "I'm missing a book!"

      To which my significant other replied, "How could you possible tell?"

      Delete
  5. It's easy to let stuff pile up when you live in one place a long time. I'm not a true hoarder, but when I cleaned out closets a while back, I was shocked at all the things that were stashed in there.

    My dad says, 'Two moves is a good as a fire.' I think he's right. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that my neighbors have been stashing stuff in my basement when I'm not looking because all of this stuff can't possible belong to me.

      Delete
  6. LOL! I would have that many books too, if we hadn't moved so many times and I'd been forced to go digital. One day my house is going to have a library of its own. Seriously. =)

    Unleashing the Dreamworld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of digital books, too. At least those take up less space.

      Delete
    2. Too true. I mean, books are stinkin' heavy!

      Delete
  7. I understand, having just moved myself. It's not fun. Did you know you can actually list your extra books on Amazon and sell them? Although, they might not sell quickly. But that's one way to get rid of some used books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My significant other did this trade-in thing with Amazon, and they paid him for a lot of his old books. They did not want any of mine, though. Bummer, because I could have used that credit to buy new books.

      Delete
  8. Your two truths and a lie were really good! It was hard to guess the possible lie.

    My brother had a box of Beanie Babies that he collected. I wonder if he still has it.

    I used to hoard books too, but I go through them every year or so. As a matter of fact a couple of hours ago I donated about 40 books to my local library. Once I even donated my copy of The Mists of Avalon. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I had about five copies of The Mists of Avalon. Now I only have two: one hardcover, one paperback.

      Delete
  9. It's better to have a bunch of books to move than other items. Books are good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you ever decide to make a bakery's worth of pies, you'll be ready.

    I think an entire truck's worth of books is something to be proud of :). And boy, your library is in for a bonanza, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to start going through my stuff and getting rid of a lot of things. I have books I am NEVER going to read again that I'm sure the library would appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's not hoarding when it's books! LOL.
    Just like it's not hoarding when it's money. "Oh, I need a second truck to haul my big piles of cash." See? No one would frown at that.
    Just my stance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. That's a lot of books. I only had *thinks* 3 boxes of books. Of course, I lived in a tiny apartment so I put my kindle to good use for books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I literally lol-ed at your pie plate line. Scared my cat.
    I have a ton of Beanie Babies as well. I thought about trying to sell them but it's not really worth it. They're not nearly as valuable as people thought they would be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not sure there's a problem with "too many books" . . . sounds heavenly to me lol Of course you can always donate some before the move. You know, if you're not like me where it physically hurts to part ways with them. o_O

    Good luck with the rest of the packing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hehe, My family hordes stuff too, but it's not anything useful or entertaining like books.We have so much old and broken down computer equipment that it's almost funny. We even have three floppy disk drives.

    I hope you pack everything up well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a few Absolut Vodka ads, too. Like Central Park. Never drank the stuff, but cool ads.

    I wonder if you could get a special non-profit shipping rate if you told them you were helping move a library.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every time we've moved, my wife has made me get rid of boxes of books. And when we moved in here, she wouldn't even let me bring the boxes in the house. The books are still in boxes in the garage. She'd make it all electronic if she could.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you have a great day. I've got back issues of workout mags.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The good news is that 25-50 book boxes aren't really that many boxes in terms of Space In A Moving Truck. I do hope you're using book boxes, though, and not like the big moving boxes that are supposed to be for lighter things. *looks stren*

    That said, I had 30 boxes in my last move, and about 15 were books. I would have had more had I not spent the last 10 years moving every few years and religiously donating books. So on the other hand, those 15 boxes of books were the books I REALLY REALLY liked.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can think of much worse things to hoard than books :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're not a scary hoarder. Collecting books is wise. That's what I keep telling myself! Have a happy Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Living somewhere for 15 years definitely means that a lot of interesting items will be saved and collected- often without recollection! When I moved I sorted through boxes. When I already thought I had given certain boxes away- I gave them away happily. When I wasn't sure- I thought about each item. :) Books are always hard to part with. I have one bookcase with all my favorites (but new books are always being added).

    Best of luck with the move! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hot Forex Investments where you can earn profit without any work, just invest on forex and get profit daily upto 12%, Join Now
    HotFxInvest.com

    ReplyDelete