Monday, October 6, 2014

The Big Bold Goal & Other Fun Tales

I don't even know where to start today; there's just so much that I want to tell you about and should tell you about and even need to tell you about. I've been looking at the blank screen for a while, just watching the cursor blink at me, as I attempt to figure it all out.

But as time is as short as always, I guess I'll just ramble for a while and see what comes out.

Ready?

First up—

Today marks the end of the Shelfie Blogfest, created by author Tara Tyler and co-hosted by...

Heather M. Gardner
Christine Rains
Vikki Biram
CD Cofflet
Elizabeth Seckman
Rena Rocford

I was supposed to be a co-host as well, but I have downgraded myself to something other than co-host because I was a pretty terrible co-host. If any of the co-hosts listed above are reading this, they're probably saying to themselves, "She was a co-host? Really?" Because I truly was The Absolute Worst. (I apologize, ladies.)  I did, however, manage to contribute a prize: an EFFIGY e-book. I can't wait to see who wins...Thank you to everyone who entered.

The biggest reason for my co-hosting fail (besides my rather chronic ineptitude—by the way, I misspelled that word the first time. Ironic, no?) was probably my day job. My hours have been choking me lately. Sorry if I come off as a Drama Queen, but it's true. We suffered another mass employee exodus and have not yet replenished our ranks. There are, I believe, five employees left (including management) which is insane because we normally have 15-20 employees. This is, as you can understand, making our busy season an even more exhausting time. Everyone is getting double shifts and fewer days off, and aren't we excited about that.

We're not. In case you wondered.

With the increased hours in mind, I have whittled down this month's goals. I only set two of them. One of which is so freaking massive I have to wonder if I am setting myself up to fail. But I'm going to do it anyway. Go big or go home, right?

Here are my two goals for October (or, what's left of it)

1. FINISH LINEAGE.

Lineage is Part Two of my current WIP (Effigy's sequel). It was supposed to have been finished last year. That obviously didn't work out so well. Now my goal is to finish Lineage this month—and really, if you look at the storyboard, I'm so freaking close to finishing—so that I can use NaNoWriMo to write Reckoning, Part Three of my current WIP. And in case you weren't sure...this is the massive goal.

2. Walk, run, or bike at least 88 miles.

I logged 88 miles last October, so I shall endeavor to match it this year. Given how much time I shall spend running around at my day job, I don't imagine this shall be a challenge.

But I guess we'll see how it all plays out come November.

And on that note, I am out of time for today, but I shall be back again sometime this week to ramble on some more about other things.

Consider yourselves warned.


42 comments:

  1. Yikes! That is REALLY short handed!!!! Best of luck to you to finish your goals and retain your sanity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...pretty sure the sanity ship sailed a long time ago. It's probably in Fiji by now...

      Delete
  2. Those are two excellent and achievable goals. You can - and you will - accomplish them both! :)

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so. I'm tired of not finishing Lineage.

      Delete
  3. You need some co-workers, bad! I bet you hit your mileage just running around the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know I will hit the mileage goal at work. I did five miles yesterday during my shift, and it wasn't even that busy of a day.

      Delete
  4. I hope they hire some people soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm torn between wanting/needing new people and jumping into interviews with potential newbies to yell, "It's a trap!"

      Delete
  5. Egads! You are one busy person. Best of luck with work on all fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is insane! I hope you get some time to rest, heck I'm tired for you lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't want to do your day job. I get the impression it is wicked stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody wants to do this job. That's why there are only five of us left.

      Delete
  8. Oh boy...they do the same crap to us at the Salon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel your pain about the day job. Although, this week is looking up. I've been knocking on wood constantly for this luck to hold out. I'll give a few extra for you and hopefully some great employees will be hired and you will find yourself at home with plenty of time to write. (That's not too optimistic, is it?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about everything happening at your job. It reminds me of a lot of things that happened at my old job. That's part of why I quit--well, mostly because it was sucking the life out of me...Good luck with your goals, especially getting the book done (so we can read it!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Send us a photo of your crossing the 88 mile mark. I want to see what's left of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two reasons to unstress today - beautiful foliage and THE FRIGGIN' PATRIOTS HAVE RETURNED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was such an awesome game on Sunday night. Maybe my Monday morning game hangover totally worth it.

      Delete
  13. Urgh, the work stuff sounds awful! I hope the ranks are replenished soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope your work situation gets better soon. We were short-staffed for an extended period where I work last year and it was definitely exhausting. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm job hunting!

    I couldn't figure out what to post for the Shelfie thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, poor MJ. I hope they hire more people soon so you can get to your goals. Stay sane.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh dear. I hope they replenish the ranks. Great goals. And to pick up your spirits, I'm currently reading Effigy and I'm loving it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perhaps Management should take a long hard look at themselves. Then there wouldn't be massive employee exoduses. What is the plural of exodus?

    This reminds me of when I left my retail job. Our management took it upon themselves to make things so bad for me that I'd quit. They won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one would think that the alarming turnover rate at The Store would perhaps be a giant red flag to Management or even those at the corporate level, but it has not proven to be so yet.

      Delete
  19. You can do it! And it was good you waited on finishing Lineage. Things are better after a pause. Good luck with NaNoWriMo. I have to figure out what to write.

    ...will you have as nice a cover for Lineage as for Effigy...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically Lineage won't have a cover at all. It's the second part of a larger work entitledSecond Nature. But that, I do hope, will have a lovely cover as well.

      Delete
  20. Yikes, work sounds so stressful for you right now! No wonder you're exhausted. Good luck reaching your goals despite that, especially when it comes to Lineage!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Keeping putting the goals out in front and you'll reach them, MJ. My life has mostly been a disaster the last two months--and chaos when it wasn't a disaster. I'm trying to right the ship and the only way to do it is by moving forward. Even if by inches.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shooo-wee, that is a big goal. You can do it.

    Day jobs suck big hairy donkey balls. All of them. I now challenge you to work that phrase into a work haiku. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  23. for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
    www.adsclickearning.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
    www.adsclickearning.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
    www.adsclickearning.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi M.J.
    I'm the lucky person who won your book in the Shelfie bloghop!
    Thank you once again!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  27. for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
    www.adsclickearning.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
    www.adsclickearning.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
    www.adsclickearning.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
    www.adsclickearning.com

    ReplyDelete