Monday, October 27, 2014

In Which All Hell Breaks Loose

As you could probably infer from the title of today's post, I am a tad stressed out. Not that I'm ever totally stress-free, but I'm definitely feeling a lot more pressure than usual these days from just about every aspect of my life, Which completely makes me sound like a Drama Queen, and perhaps I am, but whatever else I am, I am Stressed. Out.

The Reasons Why—

The Store Front:

The mass employee exodus continues, which is impressive given how few of us there were before. I inadvertently added to the stress when I injured my back. The initial injury happened almost three weeks ago (and will continue to be a factor for at least a few weeks more), and I missed two solid weeks because of it.

Now, when I'm away from the Store for a single week, I always come back to a gigantic mess. But after missing two weeks, I'm not exactly sure there is a word to describe the state of the stockroom at this precise moment. Well, maybe 'clusterfuck.' That might begin to cover it. It will take me weeks to untangle it all.

I've joked a lot about how The Store cannot run without me, but now I seem to have undeniable proof. So I have gone back to work, though medically I should not have, because The Store is that damn desperate that a stock girl working at quarter capacity is better than nothing because our two busiest weekends of the entire year are fast approaching, and we will need every soul we can get.

Oh, and The Store will be opening at 5pm Thanksgiving Day. We will not close again until 9pm Friday night. I was hoping to have to work a 28-hour shift. Thanks, Corporate. You're the best.

The Home Front:

The Man and I shall be celebrating our 18th anniversary at the end of the week, and for as long as I have known him, he has wanted to abandon the New England winters for someplace warm. He does not like the cold. But ever year, I manage to keep us where we are. I love New England, and if I were to ever move, I would want to head farther north.

But, somehow, instead I will be moving south.

That's right. The Man finally got me to agree to moving south of the Mason-Dixon line. I'm not sure how that happened, but I'm guessing beer was involved. (Beer makes me think a lot of things are good ideas. I should probably never drink beer.)

So sometime after the New Year, I will be moving. This has several implications:

1. I will quit working at The Store.
2. I have to—Oh My God! I will quit working at The Store!
3. Also, I will have to pack up my entire household and move it very far away from where it is now.
4. I will quit working at The Store.

I have told The Man that I will NOT move before the New Year, and I really thought it would work out because it was bound to take a long time to actually sell our house. But instead we have a list of interested parties who want to buy it. The first viewing already happened, and the second is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. The third on Friday. I suppose this is a good thing, but selling the house means I will have to move my household and quit my crappy job a lot sooner than I had planned.

Well, maybe that isn't all bad, then.

The Writing Front

Because of the previous two fronts, this particular front has been shoved so far down the To-Do List, it shouldn't even be considered a front. I believe I have quite literally have 5,000 things to do at the moment. As a result, The Big Bold Goal (Finish Lineage—a grand total of 20 scenes in various states of completion) has been completely abandoned, as have my NaNoWriMo plans. At first, when I was awarded/sentenced to a (forced) two-week vacation from The Store, I thought "Yipee! I'll be able to finish those scenes!" But without the pain meds, all I could do was cry, and with the pain meds all I could do was watch the Game Show Network and yell at Betty White for not knowing the answer was 'snowflake.' (Sorry about that Twitter feed, gang,) (Also, the answer, I'm told, wasn't even 'snowflake' and Betty White wasn't anywhere to be seen...)

I'm still writing when I can find a few spare moments (I've managed to finish three of the twenty scenes), but it'll have to be all right because that's currently all there is. There's always January.

Wait. I'll probably be moving in January.

There's always February.

Probably.

48 comments:

  1. You'll be able to quit The Store! That's sounds like a good tradeoff to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh, no more Store!

    Try to take it all one or two steps at a time - you can't do everything. New opportunities are exciting AND scary - at least to me, anyway.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I can't do everything, but I still feel the need to do everything. Some people never learn.

      Delete
  3. I don't, quitting the store and moving somewhere warm sounds pretty good to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know when I'm not shoveling snow in March, I'll agree with you.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Good thing you don't have he stress of holidays to add to all of that...oops, wait, um.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the mess at the store. I think that word probably fits too well.
    I'd rather be farther north, but hey. How far south will you go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks as though we're heading to the sunshine state.

      Delete
  6. Wow. So much going on. I hope your back starts feeling better. Back injuries are the worst. I'd rather live farther north too. When I moved here to southern Indiana with my husband, I repeatedly told him that I will never move farther south than this. He still hasn't gotten that job in Alaska that I keep nagging him to get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alaska would be awesome, but I'd never get The Man to agree to that.

      Delete
  7. Oooh this is so exciting! I think quitting the store will actually be great for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how long the detox will take.

      Delete
  8. Wow. I wonder what will happen to the store when you leave - but it sounds like it will be better for you! Lol! Beer can be dangerous :) Take a stop every now and breathe...or yell at the top of your lungs (that always helps me). Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of want to set up a webcam in The Store so I can watch what happens when I'm gone. But that's probably obsessive, and I should not do that.

      Delete
  9. Hey, you could totally be out of there BEFORE that crazy 28 hour shift. (And I say TAKE IT if you can.) Yay! Here's to the man!

    Unleashing the Dreamworld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our one remaining manager said that if I leave before Christmas she will cry. A lot.

      Delete
  10. Yay! You get to leave the store. See? There is a bright side in there somewhere. Please take good care of your back and health. Don't let the store kill you before you get to move. Moving must be a little exciting. I have lived in the same place for 28 years.

    Congratulations on your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you do have a lot going on. Good luck with your move! But I know it must be so hard to leave New England. My second home.
    Yay for quitting The Store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding it very hard to think about leaving. Can't imagine how the actual leaving will go.

      Delete
  12. Aw... I'm having major computer issues.BUT YOU GET TO QUIT THE STORE! It's a dream come true. Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your computer problems. I'm having some computer issues, but they're all related to the fact that The Man sold my monitor and desk chair in our Moving Sale.

      Delete
  13. Yay, you get to leave the store! It will probably burn down after you leave. :) Hope everything goes smoothly for the move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably will burn down. And I won't be there to see it.

      Delete
  14. Moving to the South? Brave, brave soul.
    I grew up there, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Maybe I don't want to move there after all...

      Delete
  15. You're leaving The Store!!! While this is bad news for the blog, this is wonderful news for you. Congrats. Maybe you can get a job that actually gives your raises.

    Since I moved I have reworked exactly one chapter of my novel. And that's all the writing I've done. Give yourself a break through this. The novel will be there when you're done.

    Where are you moving to? Might I suggest California as a good destination?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll get another crappy job in another crappy retail environment, and that will provide a whole new set of hijinks for me to immortalize in blog and/or haiku form.

      California has been proposed, but we're staying on the east coast for now.

      Delete
  16. You're quitting The Store! That alone is worth ALL THE HAPPY DANCES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy dances will come. Eventually. Probably.

      Delete
  17. I'm glad you're quitting! Though I have to admit that I'll miss the humorous stories The Store gives us :). Oh well.

    It sucks that you've been in pain these last few weeks. Discomfort is bad for writing, so make sure not to blame yourself for that. Good luck with moving. If it helps, I'll post pictures of New England from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll appreciate any pictures of New England you can post. :)

      Delete
  18. The Store isn't going to kidnap you when you tell them you're quitting? If we never hear from you again, I guess we'll know the answer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could happen, I won't lie. Despite the fact that I am a giant pain in Management's ass, they don't seem to want me to leave.

      Delete
  19. Hi M.J. Moving is always a gigantic pain, whether it's by choice or not. I wish you all the best. It sounds like leaving the Store is the big pain for you. I hope it all works out!! I'll say Happy New Year in advance!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! You're moving and quitting! Congrats on the life-changing end of year. I wish you the best of luck as you approach the new year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some very large changes are about to occur, indeed. But you never know what kinds of opportunities will come with it. Stay strong, M.J.! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is the happiest I've ever been that a friend was going to quit their crappy job. And I've had friends quit jobs where a class action lawyer was consulted. So. YAY NO MORE THE STORE.

    Sorry you're leaving your place, though. I'm sure the dog will like it!

    Don't stress about the lack of a writing front for a few months, if you can. You're doing a lot of stuff right now.

    Hope the back feels better soon. I did wonder about that twitter feed, but I didn't put in the research to find out you were on drugs. I thought it was just a particularly bad move on Betty White's part.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry to hear about your back pain - feel better soon! NaNo will come again next year. Yay for leaving the Store and moving! I bet it'll be awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Holy crap, MJ. I get bronchitis and go into hibernation/survival mode for two weeks and all hell breaks loose. Double holy crap!

    Ok, let me get organized. First, I hope your back is doing better. And yes, that explains that twitter feed.
    B)wow, below the Mason Dixon. As someone just north of it, all I can say is...good luck with that.
    III)No more store? I mean, what will inspire your snarky, sarcastic semi-evil laden haiku now? Sheesh? Did you even consider my need for your work haiku when deciding to move? Talk about selfish.
    Finally, good luck with all these stressful situations. Don't worry about the writing. It will be there when you unpack. You're too talented to let it go for too long.
    Take care and pop those pills when needed!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sorry to hear about your problems.I hope everything works out for you.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you are this indispensable, you need to ask for a 20% raise or threaten to walk. Don't let them give you any bullshit either about not being able to afford it. Capitalist pigs are always making money off the backs of the middle and lower classes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. holy crap - you're quitting the store? and moving south? woah.

    the ship's going down
    captain's jumping overboard
    lookout below - South!

    but south is my area of expertise, so you'll have to let me know where you land and i will surely come do a book thingie with you!
    congrats and condolences... things will work out and things will get written! good luck! can't wait to hear about the next thrilling chapter in your life =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Quitting The Store doesn't sound all that bad...moving around the holidays...less exciting. I hope the move turns out fantastic and you find a great new place with no crazy Store. May it blow up without you and you have the pleasure of watching the mushroom cloud as you drive away.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Holy cow! You have a lot going on. Did you end up selling your house? Are you moving soon or waiting until the new year? Hopefully the move will end up alleviating some stress, though there may be a little more stress in the beginning. Hopefully you will have more time to write soon. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  30. Camp NaNoWriMo happens in the summer. Maybe you'll be settled by then. :)

    Best of luck in the move. From someone who's done it more times than I have fingers...
    LABEL boxes on 4 sides. (The side you don't label WILL be the one that faces out, and that box WILL have the item you need RIGHT NOW. Never fails.)
    If you wrap dishes in newspaper, you'll have to wash them before you use them. If you think about the places bubble wrap came from... yup, washing. The lesson- use paper plates and plastic utensils the first few days. Pizza delivery.
    The last things to pack, and to keep with you if possible, are the same items you'd take on a week-long vacation. "Honey, where's the box with my toothbrush?" is not a fun game.

    ReplyDelete