Wednesday, September 10, 2014

September Goals And A Few Other Things

Considering it's the tenth, I'm a little late with this post, but that's been the theme of things of late. If possible, I seem to be getting worse at time management. Not that I was ever all that good at it before, truth be told, but it feels like I am only ever efficient when I'm at my day job these days.

Sigh.

I really wish the opposite was true.

Anyway, first up is a review of the goals I set way back in August:

1. Walk, run, or bike at least 103 miles.

I killed this goal, logging a grand total of 131.5 miles. This was aided by a ten mile hike, and a pair of 15 miles bike rides while I was on vacation in Acadia. Thanks, Acadia!

2. Make some progress on Part Two of Second Nature.

At the start of August, this WIP's word count was sitting at 222,400. Now it's currently sitting at 225,504. Technically progress. I've been feeling stuck and a tad uninspired. I created yet another plan, and we'll see if this one sticks. Here's how the old storyboard's lookin' (see if you can spot the moment where I stop knowing what the hell is happening):



3. Read more books.

Yeah, this one didn't go as well. I read two books last month, which isn't terrible, but it's much lower than my average. There's just never enough time...and I'm an insomniac.


And now for the goals I've set for September (can you stand the excitement? I know I can't...)

1. Walk, run, or bike at least 66 miles.

Apparently, I really slacked off last September, so this month's mileage goal is pretty low. Which is nice considering how much I've been slacking off on the mileage front so far this month.

2. Part Two of Second Nature still needs to be finished.

The starting September word count is 225,504. Maybe it'll be higher come October. (Crap...is it really almost October?)

3. Survive First Public Author Appearance.

That's right...I have scheduled my first public author appearance. I'll be at the Local Author Book Fair at the library on September 20th. I have books to sell and bookmarks to give away. Well, provided they arrive in time. Maybe if they don't, I can stay home.

4. Read more!

I miss reading. I need to do more of it. Maybe I'll manage that in September.

5. Plan a trip to the Ren Faire.

A while back, I promised myself that if I managed to publish EFFIGY, I could buy myself either a double bladed battle axe, or a matching pair of short swords at the Ren Faire. Well, I managed to publish the book, and now I shall buy swords. Or an axe. I haven't really decided between the two yet, but I think the swords have a slight edge. I have a character who fights with two swords, so...Yeah. Probably the swords. Or maybe the axe.

And one more announcement before I go...


I'm helping out with the Shelfie Blogfest, the brainchild of author Tara Tyler. Other co-hosts, co-conspirators, contributors are Heather M. Gardner, Christine Rains, Vikki Biram, CD Coffelt, Elizabeth Seckman, and Rena Rocford.

Dates: Now through Monday, Oct 6
How To Enter: Take a picture of you and your book(s) - your favorites or your own novels. Or you can just arrange the books in a special way and take the picture - but you do get extra points for being in the photo.
Formats: Post on Twitter, Facebook, Blog - just make sure to include a link(s) to each for us.


Enter today for a chance to win some fabulous prizes!

I'm planning to do some other, better, photos later on for this blogfest, but I thought today I'd post a pic of my Harry Potter books. I am what my significant other calls a Completist, meaning I feel compelled to have complete sets of everything. Meaning I have the American, British, French, and Russian Harry Potter series. Most in paperback and hardcover. Because I am a freak. Anyway, here's a picture of my Harry Potter collection:


And that is going to do it for me today. This has been a very long post, and if you made it all the way to the end of it, I applaud you. I'll try to make the next one shorter.

Have a great day, all.

27 comments:

  1. Your shelf is organized.
    Buy both. And be sure to take copies of your book with you.
    And as for the storyboards, I'd say the pink sticky note is the answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My book shelves are about the only thing in the house that are organized.

      Buy both...I like how you think, Alex. =)

      And yes...that pink sticky note indicates an incomplete scene.

      Delete
  2. That is a most awesome collection of books. And you should get to Acadia more often.

    Good luck with the Author Fair. If you can hit the Ren Faire first, you can go to your first public event with matching blades in your belt. Just to let them know who they're dealing with. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that I should go to Acadia more often.

      And I like that idea about having the swords available for the book fair...

      Delete
  3. If I had insomnia, I'd probably either read more or watch more TV. Probably both.

    Good luck with your author appearance!

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your goals! And progress is progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess progress is progress. I just need to be making a lot more of it.

      Delete
  5. Those are great goals! Good luck. Time (or lack of it) has been kicking my butt lately too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 225,000 words??? And you're still going? DAMN. That's epic. Try not to be too frustrated with yourself, because you've technically already written almost three books, there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still going, and I have no idea how far away the ending may be. I know where I want it to end. I just don't know if things will work out that way.

      Delete
  7. Swords might have a slight edge... *snicker* Is it a double edged sword?

    That's cool on your first author appearance! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking more terrifying than exciting.

      Delete
  8. I think you're writing style is plotting to the extreme. Believe me, that's a good thing! Good, detail chapters that are thoroughly worked out make for good reading. But I imagine that it takes a lot of preparation and thinking, which when I do it always feels less work than actually writing, even if they take the same amount of time. So at least remind yourself that word count isn't the only thing that matters (and remind me when I forget that, too).

    Good luck with the book fair! That's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel as though word count is the only way to really measure progress. I can plan and think about all the scenes I want, but there's no actual book until I get those scenes on paper.

      Delete
  9. Good luck with your goals. Maybe if I'm not feeling fried from the daya job, I'll attempt a selfie with my books. (I'm horrible at selfies though, so it may not get posted if I can't find a picture I'm happy with.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will not be appearing in any shelfie pictures I post. I am camera phobic that way. I was thinking of making my dogs pose for pictures, though. Because I am mad with power.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on getting an author appearance. Good luck! I'm sure it will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait... Your mileage goals are from the previous year? What a genius idea! Instead of upping from the previous month? Did I read that right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the goals each month come from last years' totals. Last September, I logged 65 miles, so this September, I want to log at least 66. The year-long goal for 2014 is 700 miles. So far, I've done over 500.

      Delete
  12. I think you can afford to slack off on the cycling goal this month. ;)

    Russian HP is pretty hardcore.

    I say go for the swords, then you will have first hand experience to make your character's sword fighting moves totally convincing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I was leaning toward the swords, actually.

      And I love my Russian Harry Potter books. I know I can only read, like, every tenth word or so, but they look awesome.

      Delete
  13. Wow, you have been busy. Hiking and Biking? Now you're making me look bad. I hope you enjoy your first authors appearance. I know you are going to do great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be awkward and embarrassed, but at least that'll make for a funny blog post afterward. =)

      Delete
    2. Find home based jobs of link building, facebook marketing, add marketing, add clicking and much more jobs.
      www.jobzcorner.com

      Delete