Monday, September 1, 2014

Character Meet And Greet, Part Two

Today I am taking part in the Meet My Character bloghop. I was tagged twice, once by Heather Holden—whose web comic, Echo Effect, has become a must-read every Monday— and once by author Heather M. Gardner whose novel, Maguire's Corner, I very much enjoyed and whose sequel I am very much looking forward to reading.

I did this post once before with Effigy's main character, Haleine Coileáin, so today I thought I would feature the two main characters in Effigy's sequel, Second Nature—Cate and James. And even though I'm probably not supposed to have favorites, they're currently mine.

I often use this picture to represent these two characters,
though they don't have a romantic relationship.
It just feels like a Cate and James picture.

§§§

1. What is the name of your character? Is he/she fictional or a historical person?

Second Nature's main characters are Catherine "Cate" Cole and James ap Seoras. They are fictional, but considering the amount of time they spend shouting at me (and each other), they certainly feel real.

2. Where and when is the story set?

While the majority of the novel takes place in the medieval-esque fantasy world introduced in Effigy, a very small part takes place in modern day Boston and Maine.

3. What should we know about him/her?

Both characters can and do use sarcasm as a weapon and/or a defense mechanism. Both have suffered huge personal losses that have colored their outlooks. Neither one is particularly fond of backing down.

Also, Cate hates boats, while James has never been on one.

4. What is the main conflict? What messes up his/her life?

Even though neither of them wanted to be, they're both embroiled in in this epic battle between good and evil, and it sees them doing things they normally would never even consider doing, all in the name of survival.

And—for a while, anyway—Cate makes it her mission in life to make James absolutely miserable. Much to his chagrin, she's pretty good at it.

5. What is the personal goal of the character(s)?

To answer this question, here's a short excerpt from the manuscript:

"What do you want to know?" he asked.
"How I get out of here," she said. "How I get home."
James nodded. "Something we have in common, that."

6. Is there a working title for this novel, and where can we read more about it?

Normally, my WIPs go through several titles before I settle upon the one that fits, but Second Nature was named long ago by a old high school/college friend, and it's been called that ever since. (Thanks, Ben!)

You can read more about this project here on this blog, as it's becoming my main focus, or on my website.

7. When can we expect this book to be published?

Well, I'd really like it to be out late 2015, but since I haven't yet finished writing it, I'd say late 2016 is probably more likely. Anyone suggesting 2017 would not be accused of crazy talk.

§§§

And on that note, I'm out of here. I have a shift at the store calling my name. It's Labor Day, after all, so it only makes sense that I'd be laboring, right? Thanks again to Heather Holden and Heather M. Gardner for giving me the opportunity to talk about my characters today.

And thank you for stopping by today. Have a great Monday, everyone.

25 comments:

  1. Did you say Boston and Maine? Two of my favorite places. Which doesn't really say much, considering I've hardly ever been out of New England, but still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boston and Maine are two of my favorite places, too! =)

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the Echo Effect shout-out! :)

    Anyway, I really enjoyed learning more about Cate and James! I can't help but love how they both use sarcasm as a weapon. I have a few characters in my head who are like that as well, haha. Good luck writing their book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE your webcomic, I really do. Today's strip made me super happy.

      Delete
  3. I'm very intrigued by the setting! Can't wait to see how that turns out. And I totally agree--it's hard to call your characters fictional when they're always yelling at you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like it when they yell, though. I think it means I'm doing something right.

      Delete
  4. Well done, M.J.!
    Using sarcasm as a weapon? I wonder where we get those ideas?
    :)

    Thanks for sharing and joining in!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sarcasm thing just came to me in a dream...

      Delete
  5. I'm doing this blog hop in a while (the 12th)--I liked getting to know your characters and it sounds like an interesting set-up--if the Boston and Maine stuff is any hint does that mean somehow a modern character has been transported somehow? Love that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.

      Making a note to make sure to come and meet your character(s) on the 12th...

      Delete
  6. Uh oh. Does that mean there's a connection to the "real world"? Sounds intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds awesome! I also like that though they look close, they don't have a romantic relationship. It takes on a flavor we don't get to read often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really love their relationship. It's a surprise every time they have a scene together.

      Delete
  8. I love that Effigy was just released and you're already doing posts about the sequel :) I really admire that - I'm not that quick!!!

    I love that pic, and Cate and James sound great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I told you for how long I've been working on both Effigy and Second Nature, you wouldn't think I was quick either. Because I'm not. =)

      Delete
  9. It was great meeting you characters, M.J.! I need to read Effigy so I can be ready for the sequel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, mission to annoy people. They're usually successful in the long run. Cate and James sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything with a pic of Jon Snow & Ygritte is going to catch my attention. Looking forward to meeting Cate & James. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to meet your character, Cate. Hope your shift went well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, the desire to go home, or find one: that's something we can all relate to. Nice meet & greet!

    sorry you had to labor on labor day:(

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love that picture. it's so wonderful but so sad, i can see the inspiration. great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The publishing process takes SO long! It's weird to think we're writing books that won't see the light of day until 2016 or later!

    ReplyDelete