Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Practice Makes Perfect (An IWSG Post)

The first Wednesday of every month is devoted to the Insecure Writer's Support Group where writers from all over voice their concerns and fears and receive encouragement and support in return. And vice versa. Click on the link above or the badge to the left for more information and a complete list of participants.

In addition to being insecure here, I'm also insecure over at L.G. Smith's blog where I talk about strong, female characters in a completely insecure way. That's right...it's Double Insecurity Day! Not quite as much fun as Double Coupon Day, but still maybe a little entertaining?

So, I know I haven't mentioned this at all, but my debut novel, Effigy, has been out for a couple of weeks now. I think things have been going well, but I'm not sure. I mean, it's not like I have anything to compare it to. All I have is this pit of constant worry where my stomach used to be. Sure, I worried before publication, but now it's reached this whole new level, and I find it terrifying to think that there's another level of worry. And probably one past that, too.

But still, I'm not very sure I'm very good at being a published author. If people ask about the book, I immediately become so tongue-tied that complete sentences are beyond me. That is, if I haven't already melted under a table or a rock or whatever's handy. Someone asked me to sign a copy of the book, and I spelled my name wrong. I was flustered, embarrassed, my hands were shaking, and the next thing I knew...wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Such a proud, proud moment.

Which is why I chose to immortalize it in this blog. And Twitter. And Facebook.

I like to think that things will get better, easier, with time, but the fact remains that I'm still me, and awkward is (apparently) in my DNA.

But at least I'll have plenty of fodder for plenty more IWSG posts.

That's going to do it for me today...I'm off to practice writing my name. Just kidding—I'm off to my uber-exciting day job.

But maybe I'll practice on my lunch break.

Thanks for stopping by today!

24 comments:

  1. Ohhh...Don't worry, I know it will gets easier. I would be in my bed hiding from the world, but you're not, which is why I think you are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You spelled your name wrong - that's hilarious! No one would know if I spelled mine wrong since my signature is so atrocious.
    Great guest post at LG's today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that spelled-wrong autograph will be a collector's item one day, don't you? :)

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talking about your own books is scary. I am envious of any Author who can calmly giving a description without becoming tongue tied and shaking, and I don't think there are many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you could make up some kind of bookmark/flyer that has the book's blurb on it. You won't have to explain as much, they'll have the reminder, and in a pinch you can check it for how to spell your name.

    Also, thanks for the double dose of MJ today, and hope your stomach's better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll laugh about that moment for years to com!

    ReplyDelete
  7. None of that matters. You've written and published a novel. That's huge. Lots and lots of people try, but very few accomplish it (despite the evidence that everyone in the world is, in fact, trying to write a book).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been at that tongue-tied moment. I was at a signing and someone asked what my book was about. My first thought was, "um, the same thing that's on the back cover of what you're holding". After some practice and guidance, I finally got into the groove of it. It's been a few months though, so I'd probably trip and stumble again.

    At least it was your name you spelled wrong, and not the name of the person you were signing it to!

    Loni

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm only publishing my second ebook next month, not even a novel, so I know it's going to take me time to get used to be a published author. I still get tongue tied, and I will probably sign my name wrong when ever I have a book in print. We can be insecure about our awkwardness together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! **virtual hugs** I hope you gain confidence in your author status. Think how many people never finish the book they've always talked about. Or they've never shared with a critique partner, or read a book on writing, or ever pursued that dream. You did!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's always another level of worry/fear/insecurity. But don't let it stop you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I'm sorry this happened! I worry about doing the same thing and I'm amazed I haven't already. I did screw up one time though as a lady who already read my book asked me to sign it. I wrote "I hope you enjoy the book" because I had been writing that for the others and totally forgot that she already read it! She was super nice about it, but I wanted to crawl into the nearest hole.

    Awkward is in my DNA as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no, you spelled your name wrong! Well, you'll probably be laughing about it eventually. I feel your pain--I'm extremely awkward as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That signing books thing can be very angst provoking. I'm always afraid my pen is going to blop a blob of ink or I'm going to do an ugly signature. How terrible to ruin a book that someone's just bought.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, I get tongue tied too! You're not the only one. I'm way too shy for my own good . . . going to check out your other post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're still new at being published. You'll catch on. And don't worry about being awkward. You're way smoother than I'll ever be :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bet there are tons of famous authors who have spelled their name wrong a time or two over their lives. Hang in there and keep signing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spelling name wrong--that's a brilliant story to tell for years to come. So, I guess no matter what you do, you're going to worry. Well, there are better things now to worry about, right? I mean, you could worry that your sparkling Bentley is going to get a scratch. Or, your new diamond necklace is going to clash with your dress (or jeans). These must be fun things to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't spelled my name wrong (yet), but that's because I practiced signing the dang thing so much when signing bookmarks. I write with a pen name, so I have to stop and THINK before I sign a book. I'm waiting for the day I sign a real-me check with my pen name. LOL

    Hang in there. You'll get your sea legs soon. Just relax and remember this is supposed to be fun. ;)

    IWSG #184 until Alex culls the list again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you see this?
    http://www.melissamaygrove.blogspot.com/2014/05/writers-cramp.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel your pain. The other day, I was at a sidewalk sale as a vendor and someone picked up my book. I instantly thought "Please don't ask me about it!" And I've had that book out a couple of years. I haven't spelled my name wrong, but I have written it crappily a few times. Don't beat yourself up too bad, you're not alone in wanting to crawl under a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seriously. Classic! Misspelling my name would be something I would totally do. And then I would absolutely immortalize it on all those locations you mentioned.

    Hang in there! Write some work haiku. That always cheers me up. Your haikus that is.

    ReplyDelete
  23. And you are, who??

    Just kidding MJ. Its cool someone wanted you to sign the book though. Here's hoping you get another chance to spell it right the next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Don't worry! There isn't much we can do to control the numbers. People keep asking me how my book is doing and I say the same thing--I have no idea what to compare my #s to. What are they SUPPOSED to be? Nobody tells you these things. So I've just decided to focus on writing good books and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete