Monday, August 4, 2014

August Goals

Before I get started with a riveting recitation of goals and progress, let me say that the Effigy blog tour visits the blogfather himself, Alex J. Cavanaugh, today where I'll be talking about the music I write by. Stop by and check it out!

On this blog today, I am talking goals. I set some for myself last month, and did pretty well with them. Take a look:

1. Walk, run, or bike at least 102 miles.

Completed. I logged 125 miles last month.

2. Publish Effigy.

Though you're likely very tired of hearing about it, this goal was completed as well. (Enter the giveaway below! You know, if you want.)

3. Finish Part Two of Second Nature.

Nope. Not completed. I'm not surprised—this goal was a pipe dream from the start.

4. Complete guest posts for blog tour.

Not quite completed. I have one left to write, and two to send out. If you're one of the bloggers waiting for those post, I swear they're on their way. Very, very soon.

5. Read a book.

I actually read three. One was good. The others...not so much.


And now for this month's goals...

1. Walk, run, or bike at least 103 miles.

Last August I covered 102 miles, so this month I will endeavor to do more.

2. Make some progress on Part Two of Second Nature.

Last month, I ended up deleting a lot of stuff. Not exactly the progress for which I had been hoping, but what are you going to do, right? Certain scenes weren't working, and they had to go. Maybe this month I shall replace them with scenes that do work. Second Nature's word count is currently sitting at 222,400. Maybe by next month, it'll be higher.

3. Read more books.

Last month was three books. Maybe this month I could read four. Maybe more. Probably not more.

And on that note, I'm outta here. I have another sure-to-be-fun shift at the day job. See y'all on the other side, and thank you for stopping by today.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

37 comments:

  1. Still can't believe you published Effigy - and it's sitting right here looking at me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, deleting scenes that aren't working IS making progress.

    Glad the EFFIGY blog tour is going well!

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose it is progress. It just feels like the opposite.

      Delete
  3. Happy to host you today!
    I bet you cover even more miles this month.
    Now, get to writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I could figure out a way to write while running. Kill two birds with one stone, you know?

      Delete
  4. I think deleting is still progress. It still means you're getting SOMETHING done.

    One of my goals for this month is to read Effigy :) And to do lots and lots of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It at least means I know what doesn't work, so I can come up with an idea that maybe will work.

      I hope you enjoy Effigy.

      Delete
  5. Effigy is waiting on my Kindle to be read as soon as I've finished the book I'm reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, deleting is progress, even if it doesn't look like it. My goal for this month is to finish the current revision of my wip and then tackle the revision notes from my awesome CP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely doesn't look like progress. Kind of the opposite.

      Best of luck with your revisions!

      Delete
  7. What has happened to you??? That's way too much ambition, and definitely too many goals met or exceeded. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry...it shouldn't last for long.

      Delete
  8. I hope you have a good day at the day-job. You accomplished so much and you still work full-time...Wow! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really just aim to have 'tolerable' days at the day job. 'Good' feels like too much for which to hope. Maybe some day that'll change. =)

      Delete
  9. You accomplished a lot, even if you deleted scenes that didn't work. That's better than leaving them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is better. Unless I can't think of anything to put in their place. =)

      Delete
  10. Enjoyed your post over at Alex's! I really want the GoT soundtracks and your post may have finally pushed me to get them. I love everything GoT including the music.
    Congrats on such a productive month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do love the GoT soundtracks. I don't have all the seasons yet, but they're must-haves for me.

      Delete
  11. I'm with you on read and exercise, but the running? Not so much. I'm a walker. But exercise definitely helps fire up the creative brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walk more than I run. I do hope to change that ratio, though.

      Delete
  12. Great job on your goals. I'd say even deleting words is progress because those words weren't working and had to go to make the story better. It feels like you're going backwards, but in all honesty, you're moving forward.

    Good luck with this month's goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely feels like I'm moving backwards. But sometimes you have to do that to move forward...or so I hear.

      Delete
  13. Well done on the release of Effigy - you've certainly hit the ground running :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to take your word for it because I totally feel as though I'm standing still. Or moving backwards.

      Delete
  14. I feel you on the deleting. But that's still progress because you know where the story *isn't* going. :) Great article on the music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself that about the deleting, but it still doesn't feel true. Maybe if I tell myself 1,000 times more?

      Delete
  15. I think you did a great job, even if you didn't get to finish that second part. With publishing and reading and 125 miles (!), I'm not sure when you were able to sleep :). Good luck with getting to it this month. Over 200K is an inspiration to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately for my to-do list, I'm an insomniac...

      Delete
  16. Congrats on all the goals you accomplished, and good luck with all the ones you hope to tackle in August! How exciting that Effigy is officially out in the world... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. congrats again! publishing is HARD WORK! and goals change and adjust for it... keep at it! and i'm here if you need a spot or a rant =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! You were one busy person. Congrats on hitting all of those goals. I'm awed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck with the goals. I hope you're as successful with this month's as you were with last.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck with the goals! Publishing a book can take a toll on you, soon enough you'll get Part Two of Second Nature done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, I got your guest post, so that goal is mostly done. And deleting stuff from a book is progress of a sort. At least you're getting to what the book isn't, and that is something.

    And you published Effigy. Considering how hard that one was, you can be excused from the goal list for one month.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Find home based jobs of link building, facebook marketing, add marketing, add clicking and much more jobs.
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete