Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Hardships of Being A Writer

Today the blog belongs to author Tara Tyler as part of her tour for her latest release, Broken Branch Falls, and she's here to talk about some of the hardships of being a writer.

Take it away, Tara...


I'm so happy for MJ!! Effigy is finally becoming reality! And seeing her brave up, conquering her fears and taking the plunge into indie-publishing, I was inspired to write this post…

The Hardships of Being a Writer

I've been a lot of things:
babysitter
tutor
Walmart employee
rocket engineering aide
waitress
admin assistant
high school math teacher
MOM
substitute teacher
writer

Some of those I still am. The hardest job is being a mom, which I will cherish forever. But writer is the second hardest job I've ever had – and I will keep writing till I can't write no more! (Remember, I was a math teacher before I was a writer…) Funny how some of the hardest things we do, we love the most!

Helping and encouraging people has always been a big motivator for me – and writing has become another outlet for me to share and influence others in a positive way. But not without great sacrifice. Writing, like baseball, is a game of failure - but the successes are worth it!

MJ is a talented haiku seamstress. I also have dabbled in haiku, and I wove these to further illustrate what writing is.

Writing takes courage,
humble tenacity, and
ingenuity

Writing takes boldness,
perseverance, persistence,
thick skin, and patience

Writing offers hope,
connections across the globe,
bridging distant gaps

A writer doesn't have to be published to call herself a writer.
A writer doesn't have to have an English degree to say she's a writer.
A writer just has to write and keep writing.
A writer reads and learns and listens and writes some more.

So, if you ever get discouraged, reach out to other writers. We know the pain of which you speak! Together we can write on!

Congrats again, MJ! And thanks for having me here!
What is writing to you?
(And don't forget to enter the giveaway below!)

BROKEN BRANCH FALLS (MG Fantasy)
by Tara Tyler
Release Date: June 24, 2014 (NOW!)
Publisher: Curiosity Quills

Gabe is an average fifteen-year-old goblin. He’s in the marching band, breezes through calculus, and gets picked on daily by the other kids at school, especially the ogres. But Gabe wants to break out of his nerdy stereotype and try other things. He has his eye on the new ogress at school. Though it’s against all beastly rules, there’s just something about her.

Gabe starts a fad of mingling with other species, forcing the High Council to step in and ruin things by threatening to destroy the school and split up Broken Branch Falls. With help from other outcast friends, Gabe sets out on a quest to save his town. They'll show 'em what different friends can do together!

Available at
B&N ~~~ Amazon
Add it to your GOODREADS list!

Tara Tyler has had a hand at everything from waitressing to rocket engineering. After living up and down the Eastern US, she now writes and teaches math in Ohio with her three active boys and Coach Husband. Currently, she has two series, The Cooper Chronicles (techno-thriller detective capers) and Beast World (MG fantasy) She's an adventure writer who believes every good story should have action, a moral, and a few laughs!


Also by Tara Tyler, techno-thriller detective series,
The Cooper Chronicles, Book One: POP TRAVEL

a Rafflecopter giveaway

26 comments:

  1. Writing is tough, but fortunately writers are the most supportive bunch of people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the haiku! Despite the insanity involved, writing actually keeps me sane. Although I have no idea what I'll work on once my current project is done, I couldn't imagine NOT writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a mom is a hard job and so is being a teacher. I enjoy those jobs and writing which is as you said, a tough job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fear of a blank page
    can be reversed when writing:
    Tara-rize that page!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you can get a lot of inspiration from all those jobs though, Tara! Great haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the haiku! Writing is such a big part of who I am, I don't know who I'd be without it.

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, writing is definitely a labor of love. I feel like I'd write no matter what was going on with the publishing industry (maybe I'll have a different opinion in a few years), but I'll definitely write until I can't do it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations with the release of your book, Tara. How exciting. I loved this post. And I agree, a writer is someone who writes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't get the current trend of unpublished writers downgrading themselves as mere "aspiring" writers. If you're actively writing, published or not, that makes you a writer! "Aspiring" implies you'd like to be a writer, but haven't started writing yet. I recently stopped calling myself an amateur artist for much the same reason; just because I'm not a professional doesn't mean my art has any less value.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fellow writers are my life line! Without fab friends like Tara, I'd be lost...and sad. And being lost AND sad is no way to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Influences others in a positive way with your writing and books is a noble goal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Alex. Writers are a cool group. (I'm showing my age, aren't I? Do people even say 'cool' anymore? LOL) And I'm cheering for MJ, too. Come on in, Fifield. The indie waters are fine. :D

    Congrats, Tara. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Writing may be hard, but the rewards make it worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great haikus. Very encouraging. :) Grats Tara! Not long now, M.J.!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great and very warm hearted post. Thanks and good luck again on your book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gaining encouragement from other writers really does help. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome post! I gain a lot of encouragement from other writers. Funny how being a mom and a writer are the two hardest things for me and the two I love most as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the haiku Tara, especially the following lines: "connections across the globe, bridging distant gaps" *high-5's*
    If it wasn't for the awesome bunch of online writer buddies, I don't think I'd have made it this far!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the haikus, too - and the encouragement! I needed this this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome haiku, Tara! Wishing you the best of luck with your book. :)

    I loved learning about all the jobs Tare has had- I have had a wide assortment too. Though, math teacher is definitely not on my list!

    Thanks for the awesome giveaway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice haikus! Writing is double-tough, but as others have said, there's also a lot of amazing support and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gosh, writing is hard! All the work and emotion we pour into our books, the endless waiting and hoping, the ups and downs...oh yeah, definitely hard. But I wouldn't want any other job (even tho I have some some of them!)!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for all the sweet comments, you guys!
    And MJ, it was an honor to be here =) Looks like we all agree writing is tough but worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure, Tara. Come back anytime.

      Delete
  24. Great to see you here, Tara! I hope your new release is selling well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Writing is hard, but it has to be for the end product--not everyone can write a book. Also, once a writer has all that experience with drawer manuscripts and rejections, things get a bit easier. Other writers are very supportive.

    ReplyDelete