Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Final Meltdown

In theory, the debut of my debut novel is in seven days. I say 'in theory' because it's still not a sure thing, and I've been feeling lately, more than ever, that I am perhaps just not meant to publish a book.

So many things have gone wrong, and continue to go wrong, and I just can't help but wonder if the universe isn't maybe trying to tell me something.

Unfortunately for the universe, I suck at being told what to do. As to which my boss can attest, when I am told to do something, I will—more often than not—go out of my way to do the exact opposite.

So I don't care if you don't think I should publish a novel, Universe. We march on.

Take that, Universe.

After a seemingly successful cover reveal event (thank you, everyone!), I took a good hard look at my proof copies. Turns out, they looked beautiful on the outside but contained far too many errors on the inside. Stupid typos and missing words and simply wrong words—things that should have been caught and corrected long before this point but weren't. I was pretty pissed off about it. I still am, truth be told, but I compiled an embarrassingly long list of needed corrections, sent it off to the formatter (by the way, I do believe I will need to get a second job in order to cover all of my formatting costs), and then ordered a new proof copy once the changes had been made.

It hasn't shown up yet. It really should have. I finally received a tracking number late last night, and according to the post office's website, my package has been sitting two miles up the road since July 10th. This I find to be particularly irritating because I have gone into the post office EVERY SINGLE FREAKING DAY for the last five days (well, except for Sunday) looking for this particular package because it's VERY FREAKING IMPORTANT, and EVERY SINGLE FREAKING DAY for the last five days (well, except for Sunday) I was told that my package WAS NOT THERE.

So I am going to the post office today, and I imagine that yelling will ensue. I know one may get further with kindness than screaming, but as I have previously said, this is a very freaking important package that I could have had FIVE DAYS AGO. I am now five days behind where I should be, and that completely sucks when you're supposed to be seven days out from publication.

But hey, it's cool, right? So cool. So freaking cool. Who needs sanity? I've been sane for a while now, and change is good. (Name! That! Reference!)

Right.

But despite this latest speed bump, it's still quite possible that I can keep my scheduled date, and I am going to keep working toward this goal. As a good friend of mine once said, "Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on." (Name! That! Reference!)

Then, if it gets to be the 23rd and I didn't get to hit that magical and elusive 'publish' button, I'll pick a new date and work toward that one.

Yay.

But it will be the 22nd. It will.

It will.

So if anyone out there is maybe interested in helping with a release day blitz-type thing, or maybe hosting me and all my crazy as part of a blog tour, please let me know either through email (mjfifield at gmail) or in the comments below. I know it's last minute, and a lot of people have a lot of books coming out, and many of you already helped with my cover reveal last month (thank you!), so I completely understand if you can't. But if you might be interested in and/or able to help, it would be much appreciated.

Oh, and one last thing because it's been in my head (and maybe yours too?) since I thought of the title for this post:



Yes, I'm an 80's child, and I'm okay.

Just a little crazy. Crazier.

34 comments:

  1. Firefly!!!
    Deep breath MJ. It will be all right.
    All set to host you August 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonus Points for Alex!
      And I'm going to save the deep breath for when I go into the post office and yell. I mean, very calmly ask where my package is.

      Delete
  2. I'm watching the horizon for the smoke trail to show me where your post office is. I mean, was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? I'm not going to...You know what? Yeah. You should probably keep watching. You know, just in case...

      Delete
  3. You got this. Do you know how many people wouldn't have even sent the pages back for correction? Neither do I, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot. Also, moments like this are why whiskey was invented. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty terrified to think about how many mistakes still might reside in my book, but maybe the whiskey will help with that...

      Delete
  4. I don't know the first one, but the second reference is NickFury.
    You can do this! I'll help. Although, not on the 23rd. I'm relaunching my book that day (we can be publish buddies!) but I'll highlight you the 25th if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 25th sounds good. I'll email you. And I signed up for the 23rd, right?

      Delete
  5. I would be going crazy too. Your craziness is completely understood and valid. You will publish the 22nd, don't worry. Just be kind to yourself and keep all the other freak-outs till after release day. Wishing you plenty of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I can contain freak-outs that long. My head might literally explode if I do. =)

      Delete
  6. All these things are part of the learning curve for the next book :-) I'm happy to help on release day, if you're still looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do keep telling myself that same thing about the learning curve, and how the next book will be easier. I just hope I'm not lying to myself...

      Delete
  7. Don't panic. If you've got the corrections made and ready for the kindle version, you can always release the paperback later. It doesn't have to all happen on the same day!

    And yup, sign me up for whatever you need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kindle version isn't ready yet—none of the e-versions are. We started with the paperback. I thought maybe that would at least be ready to go, but now I'm not so sure.

      Delete
  8. Deep breath. Eat chocolate. Another deep breath. One step at a time and you'll get there. I've had my own GRRR ARG! moments with writerly stuff lately. I'm also available if you need any help with promoting your book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a lot of chocolate lately. I think I'm starting to become immune.

      Delete
  9. You've got this! Murphy's Law applies double in book publishing, and these kinds of bumps are just that, bumps. Not barriers.

    You can put the e-book up even if the print isn't quite ready. Just deal with one thing at a time until all of the things are done. :) (I'm going through a very similar process right now with a novel that will be published September 1st.)

    And of course you can sign me up to help with the tour, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to focus on one thing at a time, but I can't help but worrying about all the other things that are still in the back of my mind.

      Delete
  10. I didn't even have to listen to the clip to now have the song running through my head. Sigh.

    Maybe show the local post office the email/tracking number that shows where the package is?

    So looking forward to reading your novel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took my tracking information to the post office and very politely demanded that they produce my package. Turns out, it did arrive on the 10th—they just put it in the wrong place.

      I was not amused.

      Delete
  11. Just wait until your freak out at the errors you find -after- you hit "publish." Because that will happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know that will happen. I'm not looking forward to it.

      Delete
  12. I wouldn't think this is the universe trying to tell you something. This is your anxiety manifesting in the real world. So, if you're pub date is a little delayed, it's still happening.

    Saw on Twitter that the proof copy might not be all that you wanted. You're still almost there. And that's something.

    I think my next week on Unicorn Bell is in August sometime. After I move. So, if you still need blog tour space then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's the frequency with which my dates are delayed that worries me so. I'm like Charlie Brown, who always seems to think he'll get to kick that football every time, but never does.

      Delete
  13. Deep breath. Hang in there! A few weeks from now, this will be but a fond(ish?) memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure that someday I will laugh about this...but not today. Probably not next week, either. =)

      Delete
  14. Chin up! Deep breath! Your baby will be ready to go and it will be fine. Just grin, square your shoulders and look at that gorgeous cover and think of that great story!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, M.J. I haven't been around at all in forever, so I think it's super cool awesomesauce that you've gotten this close. It's a welcome surprise to see that you're about to publish and I look forward to reading your book, even if I have to wait an extra day. Good luck at the post office. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yikes! Sorry that your post office has been such a huge headache for something so important. Will keep my fingers crossed that things start going more smoothly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did I offer you a Writerly Wednesday? I thought I did, but I don't see your name on my calendar. I'm booked to November, but you can totally have the 19th if you want it. (The book should be safely published by then methinks.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It'll be okay. Everything will work out. ;)
    I'll email you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You can do it. Show the Universe who is boss!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am at your service!
    Send me whatever you want and I'll put it up on the blog for release day!!!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  21. HUGS!!! I know the pain in the behind this whole thing can be. Fingers crossed you will get it done by the intended date, if not, pick a new date and keep going. Hit me for the release date blitz, I'd be happy to help: sk@skanthony.com :D

    ReplyDelete