Monday, July 21, 2014

One Day More

I like reading my horoscope. I especially like reading them in my local paper because they're so often eerily accurate.

For example, one day it had a bunch of unspecific mumbo-jumbo, but ended with "Don't forget to return your library book." This was perfect because I actually had a library book that I had forgotten to return.

Another even more awesome example is the horoscope which ended with "A friend is pregnant with a boy." I remember laughing about that one, but I stopped laughing when, about two weeks later, my best friend told me she was pregnant. Instead I got super excited. I was even more excited when, the next month, it was confirmed that she was pregnant with a boy.

Yesterday, my horoscope once again spoke clearly to my situation. If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you've already seen this, but this weekend, I opened up my local newspaper to read my horoscope (and, you know, the news and stuff, too). This is what it said:

Self-esteem isn't a fixed thing, and you will feel yours waver throughout the day. The important thing is that whether you feel strong or scared, go ahead with your plans.

So this is me going ahead with my plans.

Effigy will be released tomorrow.

Tomorrow. (It's only a day away...)

Like, for real, even, and not just in some wild daydream I'm having while I'm at my day job. Which I am, today. At my day job, I mean. As you're reading this, I am either working my way through an endless list of needlessly confusing markdowns, or working my way through an endless pile of needlessly ugly new product as we welcome in our fall line.

Living the dream—that's me.

But I guess I kind of am because, yeah. Effigy will be available tomorrow. (I think if I say it enough times, I might actually start to believe that it's true.)

Well, in limited release, anyway. Starting tomorrow, people will be able to order a paperback copy from the CreateSpace store. It won't be available on Amazon until the end of the week because of the Post Office Delay of Last Week (thanks, USPS! You're the best! (Note: that was sarcasm.)). Also, the e-book versions have been delayed because of some unexpected and, quite frankly, strange formatting problems. I found that out yesterday afternoon.

I took it very well. True story. (Note: not a true story)

So it might not have gone as smoothly as I would have hoped (or, you know, not even close to it), but it is happening. Kind of. And this whole limited release thing is all right. I mean, Hollywood does it with the big Oscar contenders every year, so why shouldn't I do it with my debut novel, right?

While I go and try to convince myself of that, check out this video. This is the song that's been in my head since I titled this post. I chose the 10th Anniversary concert edition—it doesn't involve Russell Crowe destroying the role of Javert. (Note: still not over that.)




Thanks for stopping by today, and I'll see y'all tomorrow.



33 comments:

  1. One more day - just go for it!!
    Let us know when the eBook is out. I don't mind waiting until it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly put the word out. I'm very unhappy that they won't be ready on time after all.

      Delete
  2. Yay, how exciting! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE living the dream! How many people never get this far, right? How many people give up?

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving up is never an option for me. Unless it involves healthy eating or jogging...but I never give up on writing.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. That's the plan.

      And BOY, am I feeling that fear.

      Delete
  5. Woohoo! Can't wait to have you on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to being there. Thanks for hosting me!

      Delete
  6. Yay! Tomorrow! Good luck :-) How freaky your horoscope was so accurate about your friend's baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? When she told me, I dug through my recycling bin to track that particular horoscope down. I just had to give it to her.

      Delete
  7. Ugh. Formatting is a pain. Oh well, let's forget about that for the moment and just be excited about tomorrow. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really trying to be excited, but mostly, I'm still irritated. Maybe that'll change tomorrow.

      Delete
  8. You did it! You've released Effigy. Almost. And at the end of this year, when you do your year recap, you'll be able to check this off your list. And be proud.

    Well, be proud today already. And what's another week when it's almost here... (For the ebook, I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true—I will be able to check this off the list. Finally.

      Delete
  9. I like how the paperback will be out before the e-book, since I usually can't start reading a book till like four days after everyone else. Maybe they'll sync up and we can all read it at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, too. I still would have preferred everything to be out at the same time, but this is all right too.

      Delete
  10. Woohoo! Big, scary moment, it's true. But you're doing it. Living the dream. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very scary moment. I'm quite honestly tempted to back out of the whole thing.

      But I won't do that. Probably...

      Delete
  11. Congrats MJ. I tried posting earlier but your comment box apparently hates me. Either that or, it's been so long I've forgotten how to leave a comment. Now that I think about it, it's probably a good thing my last comments didn't get published. I broke out in song. Cringe worthy doesn't begin to describe it (angels wept). Anyway, congrats MJ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some issues with comments earlier today, so I don't think it hates you. Or maybe it hates us both.

      Too bad, though. I would have loved to hear the song. =)

      Delete
    2. ♫ One day more,
      Another day, another destiny,
      This never ending road to publishing;
      These men (and women) who seem to know my book Effigy
      Will surely come a second time,
      One day more ... ♫

      :D

      Delete
  12. This is so exciting! I don't usually believe in horoscopes, but in this case, I'll make an exception. Don't let anything stop you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get a kick out of my horoscope, but never took them very seriously until that 'friend is pregnant with a boy' revelation...

      Delete
  13. Woo-hoo! Now I've got that song in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been in my head all day too. At least it's a good song.

      Delete
  14. Wow! Now I've got that song in my head too, and it's linked with your book! So exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that song being linked to my book. I hope the song doesn't mind...

      Delete
  15. That was an awesome one! :D
    My post is all ready for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome song choice! Sending huge encouragement and congrats on the release. Glad you stuck with it through the bumps.

    ReplyDelete