Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Seven Up!

Yesterday I was tagged by Marcy Hatch in a hop that asks participants to share a snippet of a current WIP. Seven lines of it, to be exact. And to be even more exact, the seven lines following the seventh line on either page 7 or 77.

My current WIP is Second Nature, but I thought, as I am in the midst of a cover reveal event, I would share seven lines from page 7 of Effigy instead.

§§§

"The king will be expecting your answer."

"The king already has my answer," Darian said, "and he knows it. You'd not be here, otherwise. Find Darragh and tell him to make the arrangements."

Adomnan nodded. "I'll leave you to it," he said, offering Rhoswen a bow. "My lady."

Rhoswen didn't notice the bow. She didn't notice Adomnan leave the room. Her eyes were locked on Darian.

"What arrangements?" Rhoswen asked when Adomnan had gone. Her cheer from earlier had disappeared. "Why is Adomnan here?"

"The king sent him with a letter."

"The king sent him," Rhoswen said. Her voice showed she understood the implications. "Why? What does Nathan want now?"

Darian held out the parchment. "Our daughter."

§§§

All right, so that's technically eight lines, but what else would you expect from a hardened rule-breaker such as myself? Which is also why that now that I'm supposed to tag seven other people to share snippets from their own WIPs, I won't. I do, however, invite you to tag yourselves. But be sure to let me know because I love getting sneak peeks at what everyone is working on.

And if you haven't yet seen Effigy's awesome, shiny, beautiful cover (and are curious to do so), it's being featured today over at Murees Dupé's blog. Stop by and say hi if you have the time.

34 comments:

  1. Those eight lines definitely make me want to read more. Thank you for the mention above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank YOU for helping me out today!

      Delete
  2. That last line really dropped the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very pleased that that was the seventh line. It worked out perfectly.

      Delete
  3. Nice teaser! Can't wait to read the whole thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks—I had my fingers crossed when I was flipping to page 7, hoping for something that would work well.

      Delete
  5. Loved the excerpt! I'm looking forward to reading the whole thing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You needed to include that 8th line - it's the kicker! :)

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's funny (well, maybe funny) is that I added the first line. I thought it helped frame the scene just a little bit better.

      Delete
  7. This is a case where breaking the rules was totally necessary, so I say GO FOR IT :) That eighth line is what's making us all want to read Effigy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the excerpt alone, that sounds like my kind of read. And in case I haven't told you yet, your cover is amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

      Delete
  9. Ooo. Tension. *bites nails*
    Congrats on your upcoming release!

    ReplyDelete
  10. *Squeee!*

    *mutters to self* Only one more month. Only one more month...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mutter that to myself, too, these days. Only I'm 'squeeing' when I do it. =)

      Delete
  11. The cover is GORGEOUS, and the snippet makes me want to read more! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. I just can't follow the rules, can I?

      Delete
  13. Blogger is eating my comments. =( Once again...

    You had to include the eighth line because it's like a cliffhanger and those are evil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a lot of problems with Blogger lately. I hope they straighten up soon!

      And I do like evil...

      Delete
  14. Yeah, sometimes you just have to include the next line. Has to happen. I can see it.

    Can't wait to read Effigy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz.

      And sometimes I just have to break the rules, And by sometimes, I mean always...

      Delete
  15. A well written, intriguing entry. The last line made the scene perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic excerpt, M! Love it!

    And stop revealing stuff over here so I can get back to ignoring the world! Sheesh!!

    ReplyDelete