Thursday, June 26, 2014

Main Character Meet and Greet

Today's post is courtesy of author Patricia Lynne,who was kind enough to tag me in the Main Character Bloghop. Participants are asked to answer a series of question concerning the main character in a current WIP. And though you're quite possibly sick to death of hearing about it, I've chosen to feature the main character of my upcoming debut novel, Effigyone Haleine Coileáin.


1. What is the name of your main character? Is s/he fictional or historical?

Well, I already answered part of this in the intro to this post, but my main character's name is Haleine Coileáin. And though it feels as though she spends a lot of time talking directly to me and giving me a hard time about giving her a hard time, she is fictional.

2. When and where is the story set?

Effigy is set in a medieval-esque fantasy world.

3. What should we know about your main character?

Haleine is young (eighteen, when the story begins). Though nobility, she is expected to live a certain kind of life defined by duty. She's intelligent, determined, and headstrong. Passionate, wry, but reserved in the public eye. She also hates needlepoint.

4. What is the main conflict? What messes up his/her life?

A letter, actually, messes up her life (the letter that was mentioned in yesterday's excerpt). With its delivery comes a change of fate that sees her married to a pretty terrible man (readers so far unanimously want him to die horribly) and crowned queen of a country that's in desperate need of saving.

5. What is his/her personal goal?

Haleine wants desperately to end her husband's rule and save her adopted country.

6. Is there a working title for this novel, and where can we read more about it?

This novel had several working titles before I ultimately settled upon Effigy. One of them was The Human Season. It was inspired by a lyrics in a song called My Invitation by Sarah Slean.



7. When can we expect the book(s) to be published?

If all continues to go to plan (ha!), Effigy should be available starting July 22, 2014.

The Cover Reveal Event continues today at the following blogs:

Shelly Arkon
Heather M. Gardner
Callie Leuck
Christine Rains

Please stop by and say hi, if you have the chance!


30 comments:

  1. Loved learning more about Haleine! She sounds like such a strong and interesting character. And LOL, I can relate a lot to the part where she gives you a hard time; many of my own characters are the same exact way with me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why my characters have to give me such a hard time. It's my job to think of interesting ways to torture them!

      Delete
  2. She hates needlepoint - funny.
    Yes, hopefully that character does die a horrible death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be a funny way to end that description. =)

      Delete
  3. Loved this! I definitely understand characters giving you a hard time, too. I think if I had to answer the first question, I would say--Fictional? What are you talking about? He lives in my head and yells at me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she doesn't really feel fictional to me. None of my characters do, which is probably a good sign.

      Delete
  4. Effigy is a good title for this book, but don't throw that other one out. The Human Season would be a cool title for another project.

    Also, Haleine is a great character with some great dialogue. And we do hope she gets her revenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too...

      (cue ominous music.)

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed learning more about Haliene!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, how can I continue my isolation if you're constantly posting long, long, long awaited stuff about Effigy. You have no compassion for my poor nerves. Can't wait for July 22!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the nerves...It'll all end tomorrow, I promise. You know, at least until the 22nd.

      Delete
  7. I loved reading this. You know, I'm even more excited about the release now. Your character is fun. :)

    Lovely song too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little embarrassed that I first heard this song on an episode of Dawson's Creek and actually went to the trouble of tracking it down. But it really is a lovely song, so I try not to give myself too hard a time over it.

      Delete
  8. I loved learning more about your book and Haleine. I am so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to skip some of those questions, 'cause I like to start a book without knowing anything about what happens, but I did like what I saw.

    Also, how do you pronounce her name? I think I got the first half - hay-leen - but not the second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haleine rhymes with 'pain.' Her last name is pronounced 'Co-lee-ain'

      There is a pronunciation guide at the start of the book.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! And good going on the guide - I'm one of those who never could pronounce Hermoine right. : p

      Delete
    3. My mother had to tell me how to correctly pronounce Hermione's name.

      Delete
  10. Needlepoint - nice touch.

    So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to learn more about Haleine. I can already tell I'm going to love her. Can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope people do like her. She's an interesting character, I think, and I just hope I do her justice.

      Delete
  12. Still can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great answers. I'm still a little amused that I tagged you in this hop and have yet to get my post up. ^^;;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your timing just worked out well for me. I was looking for an Effigy-themed post, and —voila! There one was. Thanks!

      Delete