1. What is the name of your main character? Is s/he fictional or historical?
Well, I already answered part of this in the intro to this post, but my main character's name is Haleine Coileáin. And though it feels as though she spends a lot of time talking directly to me and giving me a hard time about giving her a hard time, she is fictional.
2. When and where is the story set?
Effigy is set in a medieval-esque fantasy world.
3. What should we know about your main character?
Haleine is young (eighteen, when the story begins). Though nobility, she is expected to live a certain kind of life defined by duty. She's intelligent, determined, and headstrong. Passionate, wry, but reserved in the public eye. She also hates needlepoint.
4. What is the main conflict? What messes up his/her life?
A letter, actually, messes up her life (the letter that was mentioned in yesterday's excerpt). With its delivery comes a change of fate that sees her married to a pretty terrible man (readers so far unanimously want him to die horribly) and crowned queen of a country that's in desperate need of saving.
5. What is his/her personal goal?
Haleine wants desperately to end her husband's rule and save her adopted country.
6. Is there a working title for this novel, and where can we read more about it?
This novel had several working titles before I ultimately settled upon Effigy. One of them was The Human Season. It was inspired by a lyrics in a song called My Invitation by Sarah Slean.
7. When can we expect the book(s) to be published?
If all continues to go to plan (ha!), Effigy should be available starting July 22, 2014.
The Cover Reveal Event continues today at the following blogs:
Heather M. Gardner
Please stop by and say hi, if you have the chance!