Monday, June 2, 2014

In Which I Stumble and Stammer and Eventually Ask for Help

Try as I might, I can't find the right hook with which to start this post. I am feeling frazzled today, and nervous, and everything seems...not right, so I'm going to stop worrying about transitions and flow for the moment and just jump right in and say—

It's June now. How did it get to be June already? I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that we're almost halfway through the year. I just...can't. It's too much. Also, I recently watched the latest episode of Game of Thrones, and I think I might now be traumatized for life. Again.

But probably not.

I was going to list some goals today but really, I only need one:

Figure out how to write faster.

Because I need to get this draft of Second Nature finished. Now. Yesterday, even. It's taking far too long, and it's part of what's making me nervous.

I had a plan, dammit. I have four entire walls in my house devoted to the plan, but the characters don't seem to care about the plan. They only care about strapping an endless amount of C-4 to the plan and fighting over who gets to push the plunger.



Meanwhile, I'm spending entirely too much time not writing, and that is making me crazy. Crazier.

So I need to figure out how to get the wagon train a-rollin' again.

Just about a year ago, the word count on this WIP was around 120k, and I wrote a post in which I stated I thought the final word count would be come in at about 220k. As of this morning, the word count has passed 221k. Which would be fine except that there are still some large chunks of story missing, which means this WIP is still not finished. And it was really supposed to be done by now.

Also, there's the fact that in a year's time, I only wrote 100k words. And 50,000 of those came in November. But maybe that's not as bad as I think (because I feel like it's bad). I mean, Effigy—as much as I love this project—has been a real attention hog this past year because, apparently, books really won't publish themselves.

Whatever.

But speaking of Effigy (which never happens on this site, I know) let me segue into the second part of today's post...the part where I ask for help.

It occurred to me over the weekend that I am dangerously close to publishing Effigy and that it may just be time to do things like...Oh, I don't know—Reveal the cover?

I haven't been on this side of a cover reveal before. I don't know if there's some kind of protocol one should be following, but I am hoping to recruit some interested bloggers to take part in Effigy's cover reveal event during the week of June 23rd through June 27th. If this is something with which you might be willing and able to help, please let me know that (and if you have a preferred date) either via email (mjfifield at gmail dot com) or in the comments below.

Any help you might offer would be vastly appreciated. And, as always, I would happily return the favor later on down the road.

So I think that's going to do it for me today. I'm off to be awkward and nervous somewhere else for a while. Have a great day, everyone, and thank you for stopping by.


35 comments:

  1. Hang in there, MJ. I'm feeling out of sorts, too, lately. I remind myself that it will pass. And it will. I don't know when but it will. Sigh.

    I'm only up to the beginning of GoT Season 2 - I was so upset after the last couple of episodes of Season 1 that I almost stopped watching it. Almost.

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just. Don't. Explode. As to writing speed, I'm telling myself it has something to do with Spring and life and just not working out. In other words, wish I knew the answer, but I don't. And please share it with me if you do find out. But you'll make it. Us writers always do somehow :)

    As to the cover reveal - I love cover reveals. Of course, I'll help out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably won't explode. I haven't yet, anyway. And I know I will eventually work out all these issues and get this story finished...it's just taking so much longer to get there than I had originally hoped/planned.

      Thanks for the offer! You'll be hearing from me soon. Hmm. That sounded ominous. I need to find a new way to word that. Anyway, Thank You!

      Delete
  3. I'd be willing to help with your cover reveal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael. I appreciate that greatly.

      Delete
  4. Heya! I don't do cover reveals, but you're welcome to guest post or do an interview on my blog. Mail me. :-)

    mishagericke(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be happy to help with your reveal! Looking forward to seeing it.

    And I've been spending way too much time not writing as well. I even took May off from blogging and it still didn't help me get everything that I wanted to do done. Now I'm also so devastated by last night's GoT that I have that as an excuse to not concentrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The GoT thing is an excellent reason not to concentrate. I didn't even think of that. =)

      Delete
  6. Yes, I would love to help - cover reveal, book release, and maybe an interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to help with the cover reveal. You should pick one specific day for it, though, cuz once it's out there it's out there. And then if bloggers have particular posting days, they may pick it up a day or so later. But most readers will have seen it somewhere else already (if they frequent a certain circle of writers), so it won't be "news" any more at that point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The particular posting days is why I ultimately decided to do it this way. If people were willing to help, I didn't/don't want to be too picky about the when and the where and how. But's all an experiment at this point. I'm sure I'll make adjustments when/if I ever get the second book set to go.

      Thank you for your offer to help, by the way. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  8. Argh! I hear you on the slow writing part. I'm within a hundred pages of finishing this revision, but as usual it is taking SO much longer than I planned. But I'm turning on the power rockets today and blasting through those last hundred in two weeks. Two weeks, I tell you!!

    Oh, um, and you will too. Finish your last chunks of writing, that is. It's not a race. It's all about creating good stories, not fast ones. :))

    And I can't promise I'll be blogging at the end of June, but I will certainly spread the word about your cover via Twitter. Can't wait to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know it's not a race, and I remind myself of that a lot, but I still feel nervous when things take longer (so much longer) than planned. This WIP was supposed to be finished in December, and now, six months later, I'm possibly further off than ever. Ugh.

      Good luck with your revisions. And those power rockets. Hey—where could I get some of those?

      Delete
  9. It is hard to find time to write each day! April turns into May, then it's June and the year is getting away from us. All you can do is just start today and make yourself get your words in and hope you can keep the momentum going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my game plan. We'll see how it goes. =)

      Delete
  10. I'm happy to help with the cover reveal and anything else! :) I can't believe it's June either. I'm hoping the summer goes as quick so I can have writing time back once my kid is in school.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Getting close--can't wait to see the cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, it is getting close! Don't freak out anymore than you have to.

    I don't usually do cover reveals, but if you like, I'll lend a hand in any way that I can. You've put so much work in on it, I'll be happy to help :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I know what you mean about publishing a book taking so much time. I feel like I haven't written much since last year's NaNo. *sighs* I'd be happy to help reveal the cover that week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. About the writing, you do what you can when you can. Be focused, yeah, but don't get caught in guilt. Everything takes three times longer than you think it will. And as someone once told me, "Don't 'should' on yourself."

    Looking forward to seeing that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As luck would have it, that's my week at Unicorn Bell. And only one of my pending authors has responded. Since I do book tours and such, a cover reveal would be perfect. What day would you like? (The 25th is taken.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sir Poops and Hair Ball would love to reveal your cover.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will help with the cover reveal. June 23rd please. My email is patricialynne07 @ gmail . com Although, I think you already have it from when you helped me with something book related.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sign me up for the cover reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Count me in! I would love to help with your cover reveal! Congratulations with the progress. Your hard work is paying off.

    ReplyDelete
  20. sign me up! i will check my calendar and email you.
    and writing 100k is impressive to little ol me! i usually have to beef mine up to higher numbers.
    i'm hoping summer will give me more time to write (and getting through my release craziness)
    can't wait to see your cover! you're so close!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was February and i turned my back for a second and now you're telling me it's June. That's crazy talk (checks calender at bottom right of screen). Apologies, it is indeed June. Where did the last four months go?

    The last couple of weeks I too have been struggling with writing time and am annoyed at myself when I don't feel I've enough done. You have my sympathies. It caused me to right quite a down beat blog post as I found myself stuck in a rut. I'm out of it now and I hope you also manage to get back on track.

    Would love to help with cover reveal. I only have a small following (early days) and quite new to all this myself but anything to help a fellow author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey M.J.

    Put me in, Coach!

    Whatever you need - just let me know.

    Shoot me a tweet/DM or an email - whatever's easier and we'll go from there :)

    GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to help! Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Been there! It feels so tough to rise out of the slump-i-ness, but that's awesome news about Effigy. Sometimes we writers tend to beat ourselves up so much about what we HAVEN'T accomplished in light of our crazy expectations that we overlook what we HAVE done.

    ReplyDelete