Monday, June 16, 2014

Halfway Point

Somehow we're already halfway through not just the month of June, but the entire year. I'm not sure how that's possible, but it's the truth.

Which means today I will be taking a look at the goals I set for myself back in January to see just how I'm doing with them.

Part One: Writing

1. Publish Effigy.

It seems that I may be within  30-something days of being able to cross this one off the list. The cover reveal is scheduled for next Monday (Next Freakin' Monday!), and the official release date has been set for July 22nd (Next Freakin' Month!). And it could actually happen. Now I just need to stay out of my own way long enough for it to happen. Yikes. (Confession: I really wish it came down to something other than me needing to stay out of my own way. I am my own worst enemy, and I am convinced I will screw this up.)

2. Complete first draft of Second Nature.

I am not within 30-something days of being able to cross this one off the list. Lately, it feels as though it'll be more like 30-something years. I am stuck, stuck, stuck, and no plan I concoct yields a promising result that sticks for longer than an afternoon. I am trying not to worry too much about it, but worrying is what I do, and this draft needs to be finished. But it won't be happening this week, as Effigy has laid claim to all of my free time for foreseeable future. Perhaps some forced time away from Second Nature will be just what this WIP needs. Or perhaps a new author is just what this WIP needs. (Likely Obvious Confession: My confidence whereas writing is concerned is at an exciting all-time low!)

Part Two: The Requisite Health Related Goals

1. Run, walk or bike 700 miles.

As of this post, I have logged 231 miles. I'm well below where I should be, but I'm well ahead of where I was at this point last year. I always seem to start off slow. February is never a very active month for me. I do much better in the summer months.

2. Eat healthier.

This goal isn't going very well. I admit to binge eating a large amount of baked goods on a regular basis. Here's my excuse: preparing to publish is stressful, I find, and I apparently need a steady stream of cake in order to cope. Maybe I'll do better the second half of the year. But I doubt it.

Part Three: Last, But Not Least

1. Read 60 books.

According to Goodreads, I have read 39 books, which puts me twelve books ahead of schedule.

2. Turn weird little spare closet space into tiny little library.

Haven't started this yet. I've thought about it a couple of times, but then I go right back to ignoring it completely.

And that is that.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how things are going—even with the critically low confidence levels I'm experiencing. And let's be honest here—if Effigy wasn't as close to publication as it is, I'd be the exact opposite of pretty happy. As goes that damn novel goes my nation. I really hope I don't screw it up.

And on that positive thought, I'm out of here. I have a proof copy to review and unfortunate typos to lament. Thanks for stopping by today. It's always appreciated.

Happy Monday, all.


47 comments:

  1. Wow, so exciting about Effigy! Glad you'll be able to cross this goal off your list soon! Looking forward to seeing the cover... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ping-pong between being glad/excited to being terrified to the point where I think maybe I'll just skip the publishing part altogether. =)

      Delete
  2. I was going to suggest eating baked goods in an attempt to stay out of your own way...good luck to you-so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there will be several baked goods consumed in the next 30-something days. I just hope the stores can keep up with the demand.

      Delete
  3. You're still doing great! More exercise, you'll be less stressed.
    I hope I signed up for the cover reveal because I do want to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have run so much this month, that if I keep at my current pace/rate, I will need new shoes by August.

      Delete
  4. So excited to hear about Effigy! Can't wait to see the cover all over the blogosphere. :)

    And all the exercise should counter all the cake. At least, that's what I tell myself since I am also my own worst enemy in all sorts of ways.

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell myself that about exercise and cake all the time, too. Some days I even believe myself. =)

      Delete
  5. Don't get disheartened about Second Nature - you probably don't remember being at this stage with Effigy, but I bet you were feeling something similar. Have some time away, come back, finish it off - first drafts aren't supposed to be perfect, they just have to exist :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself that the first draft doesn't have to be perfect, just finished. Which makes my lack of progress all the more maddening.

      Delete
  6. You're an excellent writer and I've already convinced two friends that they want to read Effigy. It only took me gushing about it for five minutes at lunch.

    Second Nature will be excellent. Everybody goes through these periods. You'll figure it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Callie. You're very kind.

      Delete
  7. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!EFFIGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I'm just a little excited for you. ;)
    It'll be awesome and you will not screw anything up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elise. You are also very kind. As is everyone who has stopped by today.

      Delete
  8. Wow, this is so exciting. You're almost there. Just keep breathing through it, and before you know it, the book will be out there. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breathing...right. I knew I was forgetting something. Thanks for the reminder. =)

      Delete
  9. You're not going to screw it up. You're not going to screw it up. You're not going to screw it up. You're not going to screw it up.

    I hope you said it with me.
    :)

    This all sounds positive. Don't over-worry about being stuck. It's normal. You will get un-stuck. You're just concentrating on something else.

    Positive thoughts.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, okay, I didn't say it with you. But I certainly appreciate you saying so, and the next time I pass a mirror, I'll give it a go. =)

      Delete
  10. I am really excited about Effigy. I'm going to read it simply because you've talked about it SOOO long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It took me an embarrassingly long time to make this project happen. Maybe I'll be more efficient with the next book. And maybe I'll stop binge-eating baked goods.

      Delete
  11. You are doing a great job on your goals. And there is still a lot of year left!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. But the way the first half of the year has gone, I would be surprised if I didn't wake up tomorrow to find it's already December.

      But I hope that doesn't happen. I need some summer.

      Delete
  12. I'm so looking forward to helping out with the cover reveal. Actually, I'm looking forward to the day I get my hands on your book and read it.

    Maybe with your baked-goods eating, you can throw in a carrot cake and zucchini bread. Those are vegetables, so they're healthy, right? (Let's just ignore the sugar.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zucchini bread would be a no-go for me. Probably the carrot cake too. I mean, it sounds healthy, and I can't have that.

      Wait...what was my goal again?

      Delete
  13. How is the year halfway done already? I swear, only a couple of weeks have passed since January.

    It sounds like you're doing pretty well on your goals. And publishing is truly a busy, stressful time (or so I've heard), so you can cut yourself a break there (especially because there's surely a doubt monster pecking at you). Good luck with the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure there's always a doubt monster pecking at me, but attempting to publishing something certainly seems to be amplifying things.

      Delete
  14. Stock up on some healthy foods to satisfy the cravings.

    Don't stress the book release. It'll be okay. Better than okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need actually do that. Now I need to have someone hide my car keys and wallet so I can't go out and get the baked goods anyway.

      Delete
  15. You may be worried, but I am excited for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Once Effigy is published, you'll breeze through all those other goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not the healthy eating one, though. I will require vast amounts of celebratory cake, after all.

      Delete
  17. Ever since they got rid of the bookswap feature, I think the reading goal widget of Goodreads is my favorite. I love it when it tells me I'm ahead too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year, I was so far ahead that they kept trying to get me to up my goal. They have not done that so far this year, though.

      Delete
  18. Sounds like you're doing pretty well on your goals. And congrats on your upcoming release!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm rooting for you. Go, MJ, go!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You still have time to complete your goals! And focus on Effigy first. Publishing a novel takes a TON of time, so once it's out of the way, you can get back to the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I've been telling myself, but I still feel bad that the other goals aren't getting any real attention.

      Delete
  21. Wow, you've got a busy month coming up! Good luck staying out of your own way. I do know how difficult that can be.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your goals are going brilliantly! I am very much looking forward to reading Effigy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kyra. I hope you won't be disappointed.

      Delete
  23. Online Business as low as $1, Join Now and Get Best Business from Home without any work
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Funny and Lol Pictures only on this online network in the world, online gags
    LolsGag.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Viewing the ads, playing games, upgrade plans, more earnings, referral earnings, bonus points and more, join now
    Paidverts.com

    ReplyDelete