Monday, June 23, 2014

Cover Girl

Today, I am revealing the cover for my debut novel, Effigy.

Wait...that can't be right. Let me just check something here...

Nope. That's right. Today, I am revealing the cover for my debut novel, Effigy.

I'm still a little surprised and shocked that this day has finally arrived, and that I am actually going through with it. It's a big step for me. Huge, even. I kind of want to hide under my desk right now. But only kind of.

Another huge step.

Anyway, I'm unsure about what exactly I'm supposed to be doing here, but as a major part of the cover reveal is revealing the cover...



Ta-Da!

I don't know why I just did that. Is it weird that I just did that?

The cover art was created by the AMAZING Ravven, to whom I am just so grateful. I am thrilled to have found her, and even more thrilled that she agreed to take on this project. I hope that someday she may agree to take on Effigy's sequel...you know, whenever it gets to that point.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Unusual, I know.

Hey, how about I post Effigy's blurb instead?

The survival of a once-mighty kingdom rests in the hands of its young queen, Haleine Coileáin, as it slowly succumbs to an ancient evil fueled by her husband’s cruelty.

A sadistic man with a talent for torture and a taste for murder, he is determined to burn the land and all souls within. Haleine is determined to save her kingdom and, after a chance encounter, joins forces with the leader of the people’s rebellion. She gives him her support, soon followed by her heart.

Loving him is inadvertent but becomes as natural and necessary as breathing. She lies and steals on his behalf, doing anything she can to further their cause. She compromises beliefs held all her life, for what life will exist if evil prevails?

Her journey leads to a deceiving world of magic, monsters, and gods she never believed existed outside of myth. The deeper she goes, the more her soul is stripped away, but she continues on, desperate to see her quest complete. If she can bring her husband to ruin and save her people, any sacrifice is worth the price—even if it means her life.

Click HERE for more information on Effigy, including excerpts.
Click HERE to add Effigy on Goodreads.

Effigy will be released on July 22, 2014.

This blog isn't the only place at which you can check out my shiny new cover. Here are the completely amazing people helping me out today:

Alex J. Cavanaugh
Annalisa Crawford
Mark Koopmans
M. Pepper Langlinais
Kyra Lennon
Patricia Lynne
Michael Offutt
Cherie Reich
Loni Townsend

Please stop by, say hi, and check out their wonderful blogs. You won't be disappointed.

And THANK YOU for taking the time to stop here today. As always, it is much appreciated.

See y'all next time.

60 comments:

  1. And it looks amazing! Bet the story is even better. One more month, MJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex! And yep...one more month. Not quite sure how I'm going to get through it, but I'll figure it out.

      Thanks for having my cover on your blog today, too!

      Delete
  2. It's a great cover. I wish you all the best with the launch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, MJ. It's a beautiful cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm so pleased with how it turned out.

      Delete
  4. I'm going to tweet the Effigy out of this. :P
    Huge Congrats, MJ. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha—too funny...and awesome.

      Thanks, Elise!

      Delete
  5. Congrats, M.J.! So excited to finally read it! -Danni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks—I'm so excited that it's finally able to be read. If that makes sense. =)

      Delete
  6. It IS a great cover! Congrats, MJ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It may not be cool to admit this, but I think it's pretty great, too.

      Delete
  7. I've already seen it on two blogs this morning. It's getting around! Beautiful cover--congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      And yes, I have a great number of helpers not just today, but all week long. I'm so grateful to them.

      Delete
  8. So beautiful! And just perfect for the story. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, L.G. Ravven really did a great job for me. I'm quite impressed with her.

      Delete
  9. Congrats! The cover is beautiful! I can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing cover! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand the anxiety, but get out from under your desk! It's a gorgeous cover; you should be proud. :) Congrats! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only half under the desk...does that count?

      Delete
  12. First off, this is huge! Congrats on jumping in and getting this out there. Secondly, it is beautiful!!! Reminds me of Edward Blair Leighton's art. Stunning! Story sounds compelling too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you for that compliment. I love his work.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael.

      And thank you for sharing the cover on your blog today!

      Delete
  14. Okay, that's a good cover so nothing against it, but I thought Rusty did your cover? Or am I just confused? Which is just as likely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was going to do my cover originally—and he's such a talented artist—but I let him off the hook.

      Delete
  15. It's really gorgeous! You must feel so proud!! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly nervous, but yeah, I admit to feeling a little proud. Thanks...

      Delete
  16. Ooh it's beautiful! So excited for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know which I like more - that today you showed us your cover, or how good the cover is.

    I've studied portraiture, and I really like how it's set up. How her face is turned towards the windows for good lighting, how she's perfectly framed against the dark background so she stands out, how the blade is subtle, and how that red banner slants down across and wraps around her, giving a feeling of motion, as well as framing the title, which has the same colors as the banner and blade.

    And then there's the fact that she looks much like your old avatar. And it has your name on it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my old avatar was a big source of inspiration for the cover. After all, that's the reason why I had that avatar for so long.

      Ravven really did a beautiful job.

      Delete
  18. I just popped over from Loni Townsend's blog. Cover is beautiful (Congrats!) and the story is intriguing. I'm adding it to my TBR list. Can we pre-order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not currently available for pre-order. I honestly don't know how to go about arranging that, but if I do figure it out, I'll be sure to post it here, there, and everywhere in between.

      Thank you for stopping by today!

      Delete
  19. Gorgeous cover. Thanks for letting me help out. I'm really looking forward to reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to help out any time... =)

      Seriously, though, thank you.

      Delete
  20. Can't wait until release day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think about release day just yet. I really will have to hide under the desk if I do that. =)

      Thanks for your help today, Kyra!

      Delete
  21. Yay! The cover is stunning. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a wonderful cover! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherie. And thank you for helping out today!

      Delete
  23. Congrats. The cover is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay! congrats and let me know if you need any help with the launch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohmigosh so pretty! :D Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wheee! It's so beautiful. Good luck with the launch!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The cover is amazing. Just like the book will be when it's release. No pressure there, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Completely gorgeous. Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hooray! It looks great. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi M.J. I've just commented at Mark's, but came by to say hello and wish you all the best. Your cover is all kinds of awesome and the blurb sounds great. I wish you huge sales and enormous satisfaction at crafting, finishing and publishing your first novel!!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  31. It is GORGEOUS, MJ. Absolutely stunning. And the story sounds right up my alley. I'm so pleased you're facing your fears and doing this. It is time.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dang! I missed participating in the reveal! That will teach me to go into the computer-less wilds for the weekend. *sigh*
    Lovely cover!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I found it! It's awesome! She really captured the tone and look of your old avatar which I remember you saying was close to what you imagined your heroine to look like. Sweet!! This is soooo exciting, M.J.!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The cover is beautiful and the blurb makes we want to read it right away! Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete