Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Abide With Me (An IWSG Post)

It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's time for another edition of the Insecure Writer's Support Group, that super bloghop created by Alex J. Cavanaugh that offers writers worldwide a safe space in which to voice their insecurities. Click on the above link for more information and click HERE for a complete list of participants.

The last lifetime few months, I have been freaking out, and worrying, and freaking out about worrying, and worrying about freaking out. (It's nice that I have so much diversity, don't you think?)

But I'm not going to do that today (And there was much rejoicing...) because I am feeling strangely calm at the moment. Serene-like, even. Well, maybe not that. But there's definitely a lack of freaking out going on, which, if I think about it long enough, will make me freak out.

So I'm not going to think about it.

Except that now that I do think about it—and of course I'm going to think about it. As soon as you say, "I'm not going to think about that," the first thing you do is think about that. It's like when someone tells you not to look up. You immediately look up because you're all, "Hey, man, why can't I look up? It's a free country and I'll look up if I want too!" Or, if you're me, you're like, "Why? Is there some kind of crazy-ass spider up there? Is Shelob's stand-in about to make a snack out of me?"

Of course, if that were the case, I would hope that the request to not look up would be immediately followed by the advice to run like hell—

Wow. That was a long aside. Let me see if I can once again find my train of thought...

Oh yeah. It involved not thinking about how I'm not freaking out.

Which is probably a sign, a omen, a harbinger of something sinister, right? Waves get still, animals start to act funny, (name that incredibly obscure reference!) and I calm down.

But whatever the reason, however this serene state of mind came about, it's here. And I'm going to take advantage of it, so that I might do something I never do often enough on this blog:

Thank you.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again because I truly mean it.

Thank you. You're very kind. You're a lovely group of people, and you continue to come back to this blog to slog through the bad attitude and the sarcasm and the chronic bad moodiness to read whatever it is that crossed my mind that day. And then you offer me advice and support. You offer me help. You make me laugh, and I can't say enough how much I appreciate it all. I use that word a lot, I know, and I should probably invest in a thesaurus or something to help me expand my vocabulary, but I mean it. I appreciate all of you, and I am honored and privileged to be a small part of this community.

And that's something I will never not think about.

Before I head off into the sentimental sunset, I just wanted to share this picture I stumbled across on Pinterest the other day:



Thought it was kind of appropriate for today.

Happy writing, all. See you next time.

65 comments:

  1. Now I am sitting here and laughing - and beginning to freak out because of my insensitivity - or am I too sensitive and using it as an excuse to freak out?

    Diana at About Myself By Myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never need an excuse to freak out. =)

      And you're meant to laugh, so you're good.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the laugh to start the day. And heck, I never slog through the bad attitude and the sarcasm - that's what I came here for! And you deliver it with the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you knew better how funny and sarcastic you are, and that's why most of us keep coming back and why we root for you to succeed. :)

    Oh, and I love that picture. I bet a writer created it. Or the spouse of a writer.

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing the spouse of a writer. I know my significant other would absolutely agree. =)

      Delete
  4. You're welcome. After all, you regularly do the same for me. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome! Don't drive freaked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then how would I get anywhere?

      Just kidding...mostly.

      Delete
  6. Haaa…that sentiment at the bottom about sums it up. Yep. We're a crazy lot, but at least we have each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everytime I think about freaking out, the lyrics "Ah, freak out. Le freak, c'est chic. Freak out!" start playing in my head. Aaaannnnd now that song is going to be stuck in my head all day. :P Oh and that quote needs to go on a t-shirt and I need to be in it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That song's been stuck in my head since I wrote this post last night.

      I'd love that quote on a tee shirt too. And probably a sticker for my notebook. I do love stickers an awful lot.

      Delete
  8. Well, I LIKE the bad attitude and the sarcasm and the chronic bad moodiness, so I guess I might be crazy (which I probably am), and you're also very funny :) I LOVE THAT QUOTE. Sounds like my world...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does seem to be a perfect quote for so many of us. =)

      Delete
  9. LOL - I think my mind works like that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to know I'm not entirely alone. =)

      Delete
  10. OMG, I love how your mind works. Mine, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great minds think alike and use the same darn quote, I tell ya. It's a great one, isn't it? But apart from the quote, I can relate with the not freaking out/not thinking about worrying aspect and yet, there it is IN your face reminding you that's almost impossible. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sign is so true. Freak out less, celebrate more!
    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get suspicious of calm moments too. It's like what is going to happen next? This can't last. WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING UNIVERSE?????

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have very similar trains of thought (and that train sometimes derails but whatever, it's a creative derailing). I love my blogging friends too and am definitely grateful for them.

    Thanks for the visit and the follow! Can't wait to read more of your posts. :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm at one of those points where I should be freaking out but I'm not. It feels like there will be impending doom...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can stop freaking out now. :)

    IWSG #215 until Alex culls the list again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL! Great post....and I'll try not to freak out. Oh, BTW...don't freak out! ;)

    D.B. McNicol
    Romance & Mystery...writing my life

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was one long cat chasing its tail post and I loved it. Thanks for entertaining me on this IWSG Day! Now I'm off to not think about something.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that quote, and it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that quote! And we couldn't have a better community than we do. Everyone's great about helping each other out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. There is so much truth behind that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love that quote! This is a very tough business, made more difficult by the fact that most non-writers think it's cushy and pays oodles of cash (ha!). A little bad attitude, snark, and self-loathing is not only warranted, it's required to stay the path.

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  23. Today I was insecure, depressed, overwhelmed, depressed..., but I was not freaking out until...you had to go and mention it.
    Ha, ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A great quote!
    And thanks for the entertainment!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome quote and thanks for making me smile! Good to know I'm not the only one. haha

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved the picture. The words are so true. Even your freak-out is interesting to read. Wow, now I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow. That's the most accurate quote about writers I've ever read.

    I'm glad you're feeling serene. I hope it stays that way. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow. That's the most accurate quote about writers I've ever read.

    I'm glad you're feeling serene. I hope it stays that way. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Man, this is a hard job to have chosen, isn't it? I think I'd only be more insecure if I was stripping or something. That's the only way I think I could feel more naked than I already do when putting my work and myself out there. You know, by actually being naked...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome post and quote. I can never find enough words to say how much I appreciate this writing community. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Caffeine-addled, eh? I guess I have to hand in my writer card. Sigh.

    But seriously, I know I come back because I love how you write. It's funny. It's entertaining. And no, I don't enjoy your misery, but I do like how you are able to spin it into something entertaining. That takes talent.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Whenever I need a good crack up, your blog is the place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, what a great post. It made me smile, and the ending was beautiful. Happy to be a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The last lifetime few months, I have been freaking out, and worrying, and freaking out about worrying, and worrying about freaking out.
    Yep.
    This.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Panic. I can understand panic and worry right now. I suggest cookies, and slamming doors. Slamming doors does wonders. It is like therapy but free. Yes....go and slam some doors. Best help in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Aw! You're just too cute for your own good. You know what? I love writers, we are an awesome group of weirdos! xD

    ReplyDelete
  37. You only say that stuff because you don't know us very well.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your posts, even if I do get to them late. Certainly brightened up my day!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I knew I'd heard that quote before, and I finally hunted it down.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk11FrYIO2k

    ReplyDelete
  40. Find Best online home based jobs, data entry, copy pasting, facebook and clicking jobs
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Find Best online home based jobs, data entry, copy pasting, facebook and clicking jobs
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Online Corner is the best Platform to earn money online from internet, Just Join Now and start earnings
    OnlineCornerz.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Get your website on google top 10 Results, Best Search Engine Optimization Company in Pakistan
    Contact Now
    Skype : Jobz.Corner
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Online Business with hourly profit, Just Invest and Rest
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Business at home...??? want to join the best business without any work, just invest and rest
    www.earningsclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Find best business plan from home without any work, just invest $1 and get 120% Total Profit within a week
    EarningsClub.Com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Play Games and Earn Money online from home, best add clicking website in the world
    PaidVerts.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Earn Money on without investment, just join free add clicking websites and earn upto $10 per Day, Join Now
    jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Get Likes on your Facebook Profile Picture, Facebook Shares, Facebook Comments, Youtube Views Comments and Likes and All Social Media Likes and Follows
    Contact Now Skype : Jobz.Corner
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hot Forex Investments where you can earn profit without any work, just invest on forex and get profit daily upto 12%, Join Now
    HotFxInvest.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. Find best online jobs ever where you can earn monthly earning without any risk, part time data entry copy pasting and facebook jobs, Join now
    RapidIncomeCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. Online Jobs is easy now for you, just spend few hours on internet and get unlimited income with Data entry copy pasting facebook and clicking jobs
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete