Monday, May 12, 2014

All The News That's Fit To Print

...And, knowing me, probably some that isn't.

I am so unfocused today. The same could likely be said about me every day, truth be told, but it feels worse today for some reason. I blame the jogging. That's right—I went jogging yesterday. Deliberately. And not because there was a sudden zombie apocalypse outbreak in the Mount Washington Valley or anything. I went because I was operating under the delusion that I want to be healthier. Which I still do want, just... ugh. Whatever.



Maybe I'm unfocused because I'm so woefully out of practice whereas blogging is concerned. This blog has been rather neglected—more than usual, even—thus far this year. Last month was my worst showing yet. As a whole, last month didn't exactly go to plan. Or anywhere near the plan. Last month decided to bushwhack a trail through some truly gnarly territory, and I neglected to pack my machete.

I pulled out of the A to Z Challenge because of time restraints. I thought I had too much other stuff going on and didn't want to end up not committing fully to the challenge. I like the Challenge quite a lot; I didn't want to neglect it.

April saw yet another mass employee exodus at The Store, leading to more demands on my time than usual for this time of year. I also wanted to make a big push toward getting Effigy out into the world, as well as put a sizable dent in Effigy's sequel, Second Nature, because if Effigy is on its way out, Second Nature needs to be finished ASAP.

Out of those three things, the only thing I managed to do last month was the day job thing. #1 Boss called me her girl during one shift. After my head exploded and reformed, I wrote this haiku:

boss called me her girl?
i hate to break it to her
but the hell i am

(Let it be know that this girl belongs to no one but herself. And Benedict Cumberbatch her significant other.)

I also wrote some other haiku that day, but as they were comprised of various forms of various four letter words that would probably make a sailor blush, I'm not sure any of those are fit for print.

It's possible I have some rage issues. Also, I just really love this gif:

Source

So I guess what I've been slowly working up to with this big, long rambling post is that May is now supposed to be the month where I get back on track. Or, at the very least, get to a position where I can at least see the track I'm supposed to be on. And considering it's pretty damn close to the middle of the month, I have decided to set the following goals for myself for this week:

1. Put out whatever Effigy-related fires crop up as quickly and efficiently as I can.

I don't know what fires these will be, but I guarantee there will be some. I think it kind of comes with the territory. Or else I'm just doing this whole thing wrong. Possibly both, I suppose.

2. Complete Chapter 25 of Second Nature.

Last month, I had a completely different plan in place for this chapter. It wasn't working. Now I think I understand why: it was wrong. I created a new plan over the weekend, and I'm still very excited about its prospects 48 hours later. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to write these new scenes I've planned, but figuring it out should be fun, right?

3. Secure a new vet for my dogs.

My previous vet closed his practice a few weeks ago and moved several hours away because he received a wonderful job offer that would pay him more money and put him closer to his family. On the outside, I was all, "Hey, that's so great. I'm thrilled for you!"

But on the inside, I was more like this:


Have I mentioned I don't ever always deal well with change? At any rate, I believe I have gone through four of the five stages of grief and am ready to move on to acceptance.

4. Run and/or walk at least 10 miles.

Because one day the zombie apocalypse will come, and I don't want to be the first one eaten. Also, I bought a pair of not-inexpensive running shoes and now need to justify have done so. I should have just bought more books. Then I'd have to justify that purchase by sitting around and reading them.

Live and learn, kids. That's my motto. As is 'always eat chocolate.'

What's on your agenda this week? Have a motto you care to share? Thanks for stopping by today—it's always appreciated.

43 comments:

  1. About finding a new vet, you could always call that author you saw there and ask where she's going now. And then suggest you make your appointments together so afterwards you can go out for sushi and karaoke and tattoos. Hey, at least it'd get your name out there.

    And now I'm going to be spending the rest of the day wondering what my motto is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure my restraining order forbids me from calling her...

      And for anyone reading this comment who doesn't realize that I'm joking...I'm joking! There is no restraining order. Yet, anyway...

      Joking again! Or am I?

      Okay, I need to stop now.

      Delete
  2. What's that saying? You don't have to outrun the zombies. You only have to outrun other people. :)

    I'm liking that Hulk gif. Not sure though, if I'm feeling more like the Hulk or the person begin slammed around. Ah, Monday.

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly doubt I could outrun anyone right now. But you make an excellent point. I believe I can revise my jogging goals now.

      And I have had those days when I've been Loki. Once I was simultaneously Loki and the Hulk. That was a very confusing time.

      Delete
  3. I work a long shift today. Its day 7 at The Salon without a day off. I'm ready to collapse. Tomorrow I have off. I've got blogs to write and edits to complete on Killer Stilettos. Starting a series on my Secondhand Shoes blog for Wednesdays...either titled Dear Honeybug or The Morning After. Haven't decided yet.

    Hugs and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs and chocolate to you too! I've done the seven days without a day off thing, and it's never fun. Enjoy your day off when it gets here.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your goals. I feel the same way about jogging. It's hard enough some days just keeping up with a 4 year old. Geez, where do those little kids get all that energy? I want to bottle it, make millions, and never leave my office again. That's a great motto. Mine involves chocolate too, but I'm too tired to try to think of something clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how anyone with kids does anything. Those few times when I'm trusted with someone's child just exhaust me. I salute you. You are amazing.

      Delete
  5. One day, your day job will stop giving you woes.... errrr, less woes. If it can sorta happen at mine, it can for you too! Now that I'm moved into my new place, I'm hoping to make some writing goals that I can commit to and achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less woes is probably possible. No woes...that seems a little more unlikely, but as that would be boring, I'm okay with it. =)

      Delete
  6. I was feeling unfocused and unmotivated the last few months which is why when April rolled around I was like 'F it,' took the whole month off. In fact, 'F it' was my motto. I think my new motto for getting back on track this month will be "Screw the train, take the Tardis." I think I'll make that into a t-shirt. Want one? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Oh My Word. Yes, I do want one. Desperately. And immediately. Please, please, please, please, please!

      Delete
  7. Keep running. That will recharge your batteries.
    Sorry about the store drama. I do really like that Hulk clip though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems weird that running will recharge my batteries, but it's true. I'm just in that awkward and painful stage that happens before the recharging comes around. But 'awkward' pretty much describes all that I do. =)

      Delete
  8. You make me giggle! <3

    Getting healthy is the HARDEST thing to start. You do it once, then the next day you think, meh I did that yesterday. But, once you get going it's SO worth it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. A few years ago, I was at the point where if I didn't work out, it bothered me. I obviously have fallen out of that practice, but I'd like to get back to it.

      Delete
  9. Finding a good vet is hard, so I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been so spoiled for so long that I can't even imagine finding a vet I loved as much as my old one.

      Delete
  10. That Hulk gif perfectly sums up how I'm feeling today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a perfect gif, isn't it? Suitable for any number of occasions.

      Delete
  11. So, if something has to give, ie your blog or you publishing your books, I say the blog has to sit idly by and wait for your return from triumphant publishing land.

    So be it.
    I'm going to have some chocolate. :)
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding 'triumphant' in there...

      I think I shall have some chocolate as well. =)

      Delete
  12. I have not been a regular blogger either, but I think you shouldn't feel guilty. Life sometimes intervenes and you are a very busy woman. Man, I admire you for going jogging. The zombies would so eat me. I hope you get all the details sorted out with Effigy. I know how important this project is to you. Thank you for always being so amazing and supportive of me and my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I went jogging once. The real test will be to see if I go a second time...

      And you're sincerely welcome. I'd like to return the compliment.

      Delete
  13. Rule #1 Cardio. (I'm really hoping you know that line)

    Working on becoming a writer again. I haven't been for at least a month or more. I get to go on a writer's retreat this week. So I'm pretty psyched! Glad to see you back at the desk here at your pet blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. And I need to find me some gifs.

      Delete
    2. Fight Club, right?

      Just kidding. (The correct answer is Zombieland.)

      A writer's retreat sounds intriguing. Happy writing!

      And I'm sure the blogosphere is beyond thrilled that I finally worked out how to insert gifs into my posts. =)

      Delete
  14. Sorry things have been rough for you lately. It's time for the universe to open up and have things go right. Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April certainly had its annoying moments, but it really could have been much worse.

      Delete
  15. I wish I could run; I miss it terribly, especially this time of year, but I do recall how starting up after being away from it was hard. Keep at it and I like what Madeline had to to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The running bug always gets me this time of year. It usually passes by the end of June. Maybe 2014 will be different, though.

      Delete
  16. Joggers and bikers are out in full force here now that Spring seems to have taken hold, no doubt in NH as well. Good luck with all your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blogging has to be at the bottom of the priority list when it comes to things like jobs (writing and otherwise). Never feel guilty about cutting back.

    When the zombies rise, I'll have your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have swords...and a stockpile of chocolate.

      Delete
  18. I've been feeling pretty unfocused lately, too. (And I can't even blame jogging, heh.) Anyway, good luck with all your goals for the week! Hopefully the new scenes you need to write won't give you too much trouble... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my hope, too. So far, so good. *knocks on wood*

      Delete
  19. The problem with jogging is that it's so undecided.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Uh-oh. I walk for exercise, so I'm in big trouble. Those zombies will catch me, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so happy to hear you're making progress on getting Effigy out and are hard at work on Second Nature, too. I'm pretty sure your boss didn't mean anything bad - but I love that hulk gif too - so what the heck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, you made me laugh and chuckle and snort, and nod in agreement. Thank you for the haiku and the gifs, and your wonderful honesty and sense of humor. Way to go with progress on Effigy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good luck finding a vet . . . and glad you found "the" answer to reworking chapter 25, yay! Can't wait to see the fires brought by Effigy! :)

    ReplyDelete