Friday, February 28, 2014

WIP The Movie

Today I'm taking part in the WIP The Movie bloghop hosted by Kyra Lennon and Rachel Schieffelbein. (Please click on the above link or the pic to the left for a complete list of participants.)

The idea is to "cast" your WIP and share which actors and actresses you would choose to represent your characters on the silver screen. And, as an added bonus, we've been asked to share those songs we'd select for the movie's soundtrack.

I like this bloghop very much. It's a fun daydream in which to indulge once in a while. I especially love the soundtrack portion because every single WIP I've ever been serious about gets its own tailor-made soundtrack—and I never stop hunting for that perfect song. With luck, this bloghop may help me find some more perfect songs...

The WIP I've chosen for today is Second Nature, the sequel to my not-yet-but-maybe-someday-published novel Effigy. I did a casting call post for Effigy a while back where I didn't actually pick particular actors, just photos that represented the feel for which I was going. I'm kind of going to do that again with Second Nature's two main characters, Cate and James.

Cate is a tough talking, wildly sarcastic, yet deeply damaged young woman. She's been pulled into a bad situation that only ever seems to get worse and deals with it the only way she knows how: with an insult and the occasional knee to the groin. To represent her on screen, my current pick is Rose Leslie of Game of Thrones and Downton Abbey fame.


James is also prone to sarcasm (me writing sarcastic characters...what are the odds?). In Second Nature, he's resigned himself to carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, but he's damn determined to see it through. To play the male lead, James, I went with Christian Bale from Reign of Fire.


Kit Harringon (also of Game of Thrones fame) was a close second. Mostly because of this picture:

Source


Next up is the soundtrack. It's a long WIP with a long soundtrack, so I'm not going to share the whole thing with you. Instead, I'm going to post a very key song that would likely end up on the trailer for my sure-to-be blockbuster film. It's called Ashes by The Bengsons. The video below is the only one I found on YouTube. It comes from So You Think You Can Dance, which just happens to be where I first heard this song. I find it to be just perfect. Captures the exact mood for which I was aiming.



And on that happy note, I'm headed off. Thank you to our hosts, Kyra and Rachel. This was fun!

And thanks to all of you for stopping by today. Hope y'all have a great weekend!

38 comments:

  1. I really like the sound of your characters - they sound spunky! Great actor picks, too! :D

    Thanks for taking part in the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I think so. I like her a lot, and I think she could do justice to the role.

      Delete
  3. Nice cast and I think that song would be great for a trailer, it really does set the mood. Also, I'd buy tickets to watch your movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That song just blows my mind every time I hear it. I seriously stop whatever I'm doing and get lost in it. But, you know, briefly. It's not a very long song.

      Delete
  4. Nice picks. She looks like she could be tough talking and sarcastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I though. She also need to be the polar opposite, and I think Rose Leslie could at excel at both.

      Delete
  5. Christian Bale was so hot in that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i always picture game of thrones when i think of your epic fantasy, so this is perfect!! have you read them? the season is coming up! yay!
    "you know nothing, jon snow!"
    love it!
    happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the first four in GRRM's series. I have the fifth one, I just haven't tackled it yet. I'm hoping to hit it soon, though.

      I'm quite excited for the new season.

      Delete
  7. You gotta love sarcastic characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so. I don't really write any other kind.

      Delete
  8. Oh yes, I can see why that image made you give Kit a second glance. The song is perfect for the intensity of this movie.

    You have a great weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I saw that picture, I said "That's a Cate and James picture." They don't even have that type of relationship, but maybe that's where it's headed and I just haven't figured that out yet.

      Delete
  9. Wow. Awesome choices. And I love the song!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that Kit Harrington. He's such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun! I don't recognize the actress from GOT. But then I've only seen the first 2 seasons. I love Christian Bale. That boy can act. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She plays Ygritte the Wildling. She and Jon have a lot good and not-so-good times together.

      Delete
  12. Those are awesome pictures! I love SYTYCD and watch it every chance I get! Loved the clip. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SYTYCD is my favorite summer show. I'm always so excited when it starts up every year.

      Delete
  13. Love your picks! And absolutely adore some good sarcastic characters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Maybe that's why I like writing them so much.

      Delete
  14. You can't go wrong with Christian Bale. I love him in everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Well, everything I've seen him in anyway.

      Delete
  15. Rose Leslie rocks. I love that pic of Jon and Ygritte. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too. As soon as I saw it, I ripped it out of the magazine and hung it on my way.

      Delete
  16. Whoa that is a fantastic song. I can totally hear it in the trailer for a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice choices.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I swear, I think I'm the only one who does not soundtrack her novels. Then again, I do prefer silence...

    Nice choices.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice choices! This is such a fun blog hop. Also...sarcastic characters FTW! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That song. Wow. I can so hear that playing during your epic movie trailer.
    Very nice choices for your characters.
    Great job, M.J.
    Sorry, I'm late. :)
    Heather

    ReplyDelete