Monday, February 3, 2014

February Fun

As I am already incredibly far behind this week, I'm going to jump right into things this morning...

Last week's goals:

1. Don't worry about it.

The 'it' in this case was my WIP, Second Nature. It hasn't been going well, but I wasn't going to worry about it. Good plan in theory, but here's the thing...I worry. The Man suggested that perhaps I hire someone to worry for me so that I wouldn't have to—but I told him that I'd only have to worry that my designated worrier wasn't doing it right. Anyway, as you can imagine I wasn't entirely successful with the not worrying goal. At last check, I had decided to trash a good portion of the WIP. I haven't done it yet, and maybe ultimately won't, but that has yet to be determined.

2. Read a book.

This was to be my brilliant plan to distract myself from the current disaster state of my WIP, and...it didn't work out. I didn't read a book. I couldn't settle down long enough to do so. Not quite sure what to do about that. Probably nothing.

3. Walk at least ten miles this week.

I did manage this. Work made it easy. I guess my day job is good for something other than an endless supply of sarcastic haiku.

Next would be the part where I set new goals for a new week, but I'm not doing that this time. Instead I have set goals for the entire month.

1. Complete Effigy's final edits

The proofreader's finished, and my work schedule has freed up, so it's time. There are twenty-eight chapters which gives me a target of completing one chapter a day. Of course, it's now February 3rd and I have yet to start (hence the already being behind thing), so I'll be playing catch-up for a bit. But I wouldn't be me if I wasn't playing catch-up.

2. Complete Effigy's blurb

Yeah, I know. It's still not done. I took it off the table completely last year when I knew that publishing Effigy in 2013 wasn't going to happen. But as it's 2014, it's time to dig the blurb out of the vault once again. Yay.


That's going to do it for me today. What's on your agenda for this week or the month?

28 comments:

  1. One chapter plus a day. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm behind, but not terribly so. I think I'll be able to get caught up, or close to it, later on this week.

      Delete
  2. I tend do monthly goals also, and I find that works better for me. It gives me a little more wiggle room and more freedom in planning when I do something, etc.

    Good luck with everything! Happy to hear Effigy edits are moving forward. It'll only be a matter of time before we can all read it…. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether I do weekly or monthly goals always depends upon what I have going on in the way of goals. This time around monthly goals just made more sense.

      Delete
  3. I'm still working on Killer Stettos rewrites. Some days and weeks go better than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find that to be the case, too. Good luck to you, Shelly!

      Delete
  4. Don't worry about worrying :). If it's who you are, it's who you are. We can worry about our books together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I need...not a designated worrier, but rather a worrying partner.

      Delete
  5. When I tell myself not to worry, I end worrying ten times more. Good luck with your goals this week. I need to start revising my #2 WIP with #1 gone to the CPs and betas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the exact same thing. Best of luck with your goals, too!

      Delete
  6. Yeah, a book might help with the worrying thing. Unless you find a book that taps into your worry. That's what I tend to do.

    And shameless plug: someone on Unicorn Bell does blurbs. I'm not sure what week, but if you submit yours, you're bound to get some helpful suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't even pick up a book. I looked at several, but never made it past that point.

      Delete
  7. Oh. I'm sorry you weren't able to meet all your goals. I hear you about the worrier gene. It's not a nice thing, eh? BUT February is going to be amazing and you (and I) are going to accomplish EVERYTHING on our dreams lists, and eat cheese while doing it. Got it?

    Pep talk done. WE can do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about chocolate? Can I eat chocolate while accomplishing everything on my list? Or is that only for after I've accomplished everything on my list?

      Delete
  8. My goals are simply, do something. It's a struggle for me. Good job on doing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a lot of days where my goals don't get any more involved than getting out of bed. And if I didn't have dogs, I wouldn't even do that.

      Delete
  9. Way to keep moving forward, even if it's a little at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...It's the only way I do things. Apparently. =)

      Delete
  10. I need to adopt the exercise goal. Things seem to be better when I get some air. But geez, it's been too wintery out here in the Midwest, with more on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we're having a similar problem here in New England. That's why all my exercising thus far this year has taken place indoors. I'll go outside in the spring. Maybe...

      Delete
  11. If you want, I can poke you to help you reach your goals. I have a nice loooong pointy stick. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I think you did great. You actually walked 10 miles. I'm exhausted just thinking of 10 miles. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ten miles over the course of a week isn't too bad. I think my one day total is only eight or nine miles.

      Delete
  13. Walking ten miles is definitely a good thing!

    Good luck with your goals for February. Mine remain the same - finish Game On 3 lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good thing—especially considering how many baked goods I ended up eating.

      Delete
  14. The key is to maintain your goals at a pace that you feel comfortable with. You are keeping busy for such positive reasons.

    Stay positive and keep smiling, even through gritted teeth :)

    My goal for this month is to go to bed at a decent time.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to bed at a decent time...I should really try that someday. =)

      Delete