Monday, January 27, 2014

Time Off For Good Behavior

Well, the week we've all been dreading waiting for has finally arrived...Inventory Week.


Oh sorry. Wrong gif.


That's more like it.

The best thing I can say about the way that this particular inventory experience is shaping up so far is that it won't be held on Superbowl Sunday for the first time in, like, three years.

(Of course, I was much more excited about this when the Patriots were still in Superbowl contention. Not that I won't be watching the Superbowl regardless of who is or is not playing.)

Thursday night is going to be just...awesome. I can tell.

But anyway, this post is supposed to be about goals. Those from last week, and the ones for this week.

First up, last week's goals...

1. Don't kill any co-workers.

So I didn't kill any co-workers. I didn't even kill Management (I know...I'm disappointed, too.). But I did make note of how saccharine sweet #1 Boss is suddenly being to everyone (myself included). And I'm not the only one. The question most asked by the co-workers I did not kill this week was "Why is #1 Boss being so nice?" followed by "It's freaking me out."

True story.

Still no word on the new #3 Boss. It scares me to think that the two could be related.

2. Continue work on Second Nature.

Last Monday, the word count on this WIP was 202,362, and my goal simply was for it to be higher by today.

I did accomplish this goal. The WIP is now at 202,778. That's a gain of a whopping 416 words.

Oh wait...what's that, Hermione?


Yeah, I know. It's not that exciting. Yes, I accomplished the goal, and worked a lot last week, and didn't regain the ability to properly hold a pen until Wednesday, but I'm still not overly impressed with my performance.

But the thing is that I'm stuck, super stuck on this particular WIP right now. And what's worse is that I'm starting to rethink the existence of Mercenary Guy—and I LOVE Mercenary Guy. I'm also rethinking most of the chapters that come before his arrival in the story. And, you know, everything else, too. Things seemed to be going so well for a while, and now...Now, everything's feeling flat and lame, and I don't know how to fix it.

Which leads us into this week's goals...

1. Don't worry about it.

Much easier said than done, I know, but I'm going to take a break from the WIP this week—or maybe even longer—and focus on getting The Store through inventory in as few pieces as possible. Who knows...maybe I'll spark on some brilliant story-fixing plan while counting the never ending box of socks. But even if I don't, I won't worry about it.

Much.

2. Read a book.

I haven't read a book for a couple of weeks now, and I figure it'll help me get my mind off my dead-in-the-water WIP to read something new.

3. Walk at least ten miles this week.

Should be paired with the goal "and eat fewer than ten donuts" but it's inventory week and a donut just may be the difference in me committing homicide and not committing homicide, so we'll have to play this one by ear.

That's going to do it for me today...what's on your agenda this week?

36 comments:

  1. Wow, your WIP is over 202k, and you still want to add more!!!! Listen to what your gut is telling you, it's right more times than you give it credit for :-) Bosses being nice is always cause for concern - perhaps they have their own goal not to kill staff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I need to add more words. There's still a lot of story missing.

      And I'm sure my boss has her own 'do not kill' goals. Especially with me on staff.

      Delete
  2. If Inventory keeps you moving, walking all those miles should be easy. Glad you'll get to see the Super Bowl this year. That was mighty nice of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was just thinking that I probably low balled that mileage goal this week. If there's one thing inventory does, it's keep me moving.

      Delete
  3. It sucks having to take a break from writing to focus on work. But hopefully when you go back to it you'll have a clearer perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my hope. Some time away will make everything clearer. Probably.

      Delete
  4. I think letting your mind roam free as you do inventory and walk all those miles is going to be a great help to your WiP.

    And that Hermione pic pretty much sums up how I feel lately. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I don't think I could have found a more perfect gif.

      Delete
  5. Inventory Week sounds like a non stop party. Enjoy it. And those times when I'm taking stock of my life (which is about once a month) I have to come to grips with the fact that I can't do all the things I want to do AND read as much as I want to. Not being able to read as much as I want really freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't freak me out (usually), really, just kind of makes me sad sometimes. There are so many great books out there, and I want to read them all!

      Delete
  6. HA!
    These are lofty goals. Not killing anyone? Darn. That's a toughy.

    Well, I know you will get through your slump, just like I did in the last few weeks. I had no confidence in my brain and my brain knew it. I finally made it through. I know you will, too.

    Good luck with the walking and the donuts!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no...the goal is to NOT eat lots of donuts. So far I've done all right. No donuts today. Of course, I had two big pieces of chocolate cake, so there still may be some work to do on that healthy eating goal.

      Delete
  7. What about taking hostages instead of killing co-workers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably depend upon the hostages. A lot of those people I don't really want to spend any time with, and I'm assuming taking hostages would require me to spend time with them...

      Delete
  8. I can't even imagine how an MS with over 200,000 words could need more. I just read one with 190,000 words, and at least 50,000 of them needed to be cut. :S

    That Hermione GIF rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may someday find that to be true for this WIP, too, but I like the six figure word count just might be an epic fantasy millstone. I just know right now that there's a huge chunk of middle missing from this story.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. That Stephen Colbert one just kills me. I laugh just thinking about it.

      Also, it's possible that I need to get out more.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on not killing your co-workers. I know that is a constant struggle and I applaud you for making it through another week of staying out of jail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not killing your coworker? Aww, but where's the fun in that?

    Best of luck keeping your homicidal tendencies under control. Maybe the walking will help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! You wrote 416 more words than I did. So you have that going for you.

    And hey, best of luck keeping both the homicides and the donutcides (pastricides?) to a minimum this week. Inventory the hell out of The Store. Make us proud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to agree that inventory sucks and donuts might make it almost bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am one of the few people in the States that will not be watching the superbowl. I haven't seen one of those in something like 15 years, and I didn't watch that one, either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you're not going to jail for murder and your word count is going up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you'd like Inventory Night spiced up a bit, you could always give us the phone number, and we could all make prank calls. It could keep that super-sweet boss off your back, or simply reset her to normal mode.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, I don't like to think what could be brewing if your boss is being nice. It's like the eye of a hurricane.

    Enjoy your book. Reading always helps me if I'm in a writing dry spell. I hope it works for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is Boss #1 getting ready to make a career change? You know how they say to worry when a suicidal person suddenly starts seeming less depressed (they've made the decision to end it all)? Then again, Boss #1 might have made a New Year's resolution to be nicer.

    I was stuck on my WIP for a while, too. What gave me forward momentum again? I took some of my more troubling scenes and thought them through from the perspective of a non-POV character. Very illuminating. Some of their motivations showed me where changes needed to be made to make the story work again.

    It's something you can ponder while doing inventory. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My one co-worker was nice one day and I kept saying it was weird of her. LOL
    Good luck with taking a break from your WIP and surviving the Store.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Could you be a candidate for Boss #3? Oh... the world is shaking. Do you like on the Hell Mouth?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am just trying not to fret this week...about anything. I was going to continue on my clutter busting crusade, but that is sort of in direct contrast with letting things go...mmmm...doughnuts!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i have a sneaking suspicion you could write a great suspense thriller just from the material you have at work. i picture "office space" but in a retail store! ha!

    just don't give up on the writing!! if your voice here is any indication of your writing, you have something awesome just waiting for its moment!

    "don't worry about it" is my mantra - i think i need something stronger, like in pill form

    read a book - great diversion! i picked up a Grisham and it's pretty inspirational (and i'm not even saying, why can't i write like that?, very much!)

    more exercise - less donuts. well, good luck with that. i'm not a good example... but i keep trying!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your current WIP is over 202k? Wow. Hang on while I go hide my scissors and cutting board!

    Never give up the donuts. Life will be so much less rewarding. You need the raspberry filled ones to hide the co-worker's blood stains.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Don't worry about it" is always a worthy goal. Unfortunately, some of us always have to worry about something.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I admire you. You work with boxes of socks and you still don't kill people. I'd have murdered ten by now. (There, if someone reads this posts and arrests you I'll be in the cell next door and can keep you company.)

    I love Mercenary Guy and all I know about him is his lack of name. But I just like him.

    You wrote words, that is an accomplishment. Writing words is always good.

    ReplyDelete