Friday, January 31, 2014

Small Things And Sleepless Nights

We've got a Double Feature today on My Pet Blog.

First up is VikLit's Celebrate The Small Things in which participants are asked to share whatever it is they're celebrating from the previous week. (Click on the above link or the pic to the left for a complete list of participants.)

Here's what I'm celebrating this week:

—Inventory is officially over. Sure, it took nine hours, I broke three nails, and one of my co-workers stole my chocolate protein shake out of the break room fridge (denying me both protein and chocolate—do that at your own risk) but in spite of all that, everyone survived and inventory's over. Now I get some time off. In which I shall plot revenge upon the co-worker who believes that stealing my stuff is a good idea.

—The official trailer for the upcoming adaptation of John Green's novel, The Fault In Our Stars, was released this week. I watched it with a crappy internet connection and it still made me cry. I'll have to see this movie with all the tissues in all the world.




Next up is the Cephalapod Coffeehouse, hosted by The Armchair Squid, in which participants blog about a book they read and enjoyed most over the previous month. (Again, please click on the above link for a complete list of participants.)

So the book I have chosen to talk about this month is Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas. It is the second installment in a series about eighteen year old assassin, Celaena Sardothien.

Here's the synopsis, courtesy of Goodreads:

An assassin’s loyalties are always in doubt.
But her heart never wavers.


After a year of hard labor in the Salt Mines of Endovier, eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien has won the king's contest to become the new royal assassin. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown – a secret she hides from even her most intimate confidantes.

Keeping up the deadly charade—while pretending to do the king's bidding—will test her in frightening new ways, especially when she's given a task that could jeopardize everything she's come to care for. And there are far more dangerous forces gathering on the horizon -- forces that threaten to destroy her entire world, and will surely force Celaena to make a choice. 

Where do the assassin’s loyalties lie, and who is she most willing to fight for?


I read the first book in the series (Throne of Glass) earlier this month, and was entertained, so I borrowed the second book from the library. I started reading it and was kind of plodding along, curious as to where the story would go, and entertained, but not riveted. 

But then I hit the halfway point—or about the halfway point, I don't know exactly—and suddenly the story found a whole new gear, and I couldn't put it down. I ended up staying awake until 4am just so I could finish it because I didn't want to put it down.

And I wanted to share this book not because it's the best thing I've ever read, but because it made me just so damn excited to read a book in a way that I hadn't been in a while. And not only that, but it made me excited about writing in a way that I hadn't been in a while (that time has since passed, but that's another blog for another day, and is in no way the fault of this novel. Just my own incompetence.).

As I tweeted/facebooked later that morning, I want to write books that make people stay up all night to read. Or want to stay up all night to read.  Or, you know, just write a story that people want to read, regardless of the time of day. Or even kind of skim a little. I'm not in a position to be choosy, I know, but I'd really love to write a story that someone who isn't me is maybe just a little bit excited about. 

It's a cool feeling to have a story get under your skin and make you cry or laugh or want to scream at the characters who are about to do something stupid or something wonderful or whatever. And I'd love to write a book that could do that sort of thing. Maybe I'm setting my sights too high, but I'm going to try for it anyway. What do I have to lose, right?

The bottom line is I just really want to write books. My publishing journey has been...well, less than stellar thus far, to say the least, and that's been discouraging. Really discouraging. Debilitatingly discouraging, even. But Crown of Midnight reminded me just how much I want to do this. The writing thing, anyway.

I want to write books. And so I shall.

And now I shall shut up because I feel as though I've been rambling on forever.  If you made it to the end of this post, I thank you for your perseverance. It's much appreciated.

Have a great weekend, all.

44 comments:

  1. Glad inventory is over!
    We so want to write that kind of book. (Hopefully the whole book, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole book would be nice. But, again, I'm probably not in a position to be picky.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I recently read a book that made me feel like that, too - NOT A DROP TO DRINK by Mindy McGinnis. Loved the story, the characters, the writing, and it reminded me how much I want to give that gift of loving a book/story/characters so much to someone else. :)

    I got weepy when I saw TFIOS trailer the other day. I think they should just hand out packets - or boxes - of tissues with every ticket. Or some kid should set up a "tissue stand" and sell them to people going in and/or coming out of the theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure I'm going to have to bring the largest handbag I own stuffed to the gills with tissues. But yeah, the theaters could definitely make some money selling tissues to attendees.

      Delete
  3. I am so very excited about TFIOS, I think I might have teared up a but during the trailer, too! Doubt I'll get through the whole thing without a tissue or ten :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I refer you to the above comment. I went through an entire box of tissues while reading the book. I don't think the movie will prove to be much different.

      Delete
  4. It's good you read a book that inspired you. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading just out of habit, and then I'll pick something up and it'll blow my mind and I'll remember why it is I even read in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That. Exactly. I haven't found it again since, though. But I keep looking.

      Delete
  5. It's great when you find those books that make you want to write or "write like that."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt the same way about Crown of Midnight, I found it better than the first.
    I watched the trailer for The Fault in Our Stars yesterday, and it made me cry too. Imagine what we're going to be like when we see the movie! I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm totally going to be one giant, sobbing mess. And I can't wait.

      Delete
  7. The trailer makes me want to read the book, LOL.

    sounds like Crown of Midnight is exactly my kind of genre. Swords, fantasy, and mead. *another for my TBR list*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I highly recommend the book. Both books mentioned in today's post, actually.

      Delete
  8. An interesting post that I enjoyed reading.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this series so now I'm curious about it. There's nothing better than that exciting feeling you get while reading a book, love it.

    I can imagine what a relief it is to have the inventory finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a big relief. Now I won't have to worry about it again for another year. Which leaves me free to worry about other things.

      Delete
  10. You shall write and I shall skim, darn you!

    AND... I want to read about Mercenary Guy!

    So .. make it so!

    I'll give you chocolate!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh...chocolate? You have my attention.

      Delete
  11. Glad everyone survived inventory time! (but shame on that co-worker)

    I haven't heard of this series, but now I have to check it out. Always awesome to be inspired to write ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...the co-worker at fault is young, and this is her first job, I think. She doesn't seem to grasp break room fridge etiquette. But she will.

      Delete
  12. I think I'm the only one in the world who has no interest in Fault in Our Stars. I just don't want to read it, no matter how much people recommend it. Mostly because I heard it was sad and I don't want to read a book that will make me cry. I can do sad scenes but I don't want a sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it when I find a novel which inspires me to write! (Even if it's a completely unrelated plot/subject). Inspiration seems to be so fragile at times, doesn't it? Good luck with your WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, for inventory being over. I hope you get the co-worker that stole your shake pretty good. Bad of me I know, but if you mess with a woman's chocolate, expect fiery revenge. I hope you have an awesome weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you survived inventory, even if you had to do it on an empty stomach.

    Sounds like an interesting book--I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I worked in inventory and loved it at the time at a local store. I read A Fault in Our Stars, cried endlessly. Reality like that gets to me. I don't know if I can see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just reading about you being inspired has inspired me. Here's to keeping people awake!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is the coworker who stole your shake still alive or have you not found out who it is yet?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for surviving inventory! And I love those books that make me stay up late to read. I want to write those too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. "I want to write books that make people stay up all night to read. Or want to stay up all night to read. Or, you know, just write a story that people want to read, regardless of the time of day. Or even kind of skim a little. I'm not in a position to be choosy, I know, but I'd really love to write a story that someone who isn't me is maybe just a little bit excited about."

    Me. I want to read your books. I like the way you write. I like your blog posts, and while that's not exactly the same as a novel, there is something to the whole "voice" thing. I like your voice. I bet it would translate well to a novel.

    All you have to do is write the thing. Your readers will find you. Some already have.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so funny! I'm glad hell week--er--inventory is over. I too would like to write a book people would like to read...or skim... lol Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a good book that can make you feel that inspired. Like you, I'd love to do that one day. Hard to do with horror, maybe, but I write other stuff, too. With the horror, if I can scare someone, that will make me happy, too.

    I will never understand why people think it's okay to steal someone else's food!!

    The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad to hear this book was such an inspiration. I think it's also cool that it was the second book of the series that did the trick, not the first.

    It's been a long time since a book kept me awake reading. I think the last was The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving. That was about 19 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Inventory always seemed so tedious. Glad yours is done! I'm looking forward to seeing that movie. I hope it does the book justice.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whenever I get stuck - blocked whatever you want to call it - I take a break and read - it never fails to inspire. But I love books that I can't put down, and love hearing others say the same thing when they read my books! (I hope they mean it and aren't just being nice) LOL

    I say go for it! Write, write, write!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Inventory is such a chore! Sounds like you chose a good book this month.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The premise...and the cover...have me intrigued...thanks for bringing it to our attention!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi there, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hurray for inventory being over! How evil of that coworker to steal from you, though. Revenge is most definitely needed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. These books are on my TBR. Sounds like I'll be in for a great read when I get to them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Giving people thrills is a pretty good reason to write :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. "...it made me just so damn excited to read a book in a way that I hadn't been in a while. And not only that, but it made me excited about writing in a way that I hadn't been in a while." This is such a lovely feeling. I'm glad you found a book that gave it to you, and I hope you get it back soon.

    ReplyDelete