Friday, January 3, 2014

Celebrating The Small Things (New Year's Edition)

Celebrate The Small Things is a weekly bloghop hosted by VikLit where participants share whatever they happen to be celebrating from the past week. Please click on the pic on the left or the above link for a complete list of participants.

It's been a while since I've been able to participate in this bloghop—the end of 2013 was a wild and crazy time here at My Pet Blog—but I'm thrilled to be back at it.

Here's what I'm celebrating this week:

1. The holidays are over! 

I'm one of those people who really just look to survive the holiday season (a by-product of working in retail, I suppose), but I still managed to have some great times with friends and family. I received some lovely and thoughtful gifts—including a giant slinky (seriously, it's giant. Like, I can wear it on my leg.) and a slew of new notebooks and notebook covers—that show just how well these people know me. And, if you happened to see my Twitter feed, you'll know that my beautiful and talented niece, Jupiter, made me a sword and dagger:



The sword, with attached dagger
My god, I love that kid.

2. The tourists are gone!

The holidays have gone, and the tourists have (mostly) gone with them. It's just so nice to be able to drive through town and not have to contend with an endless amount of traffic or drivers who don't understand what a turn lane is for. And the best part is that because the tourists have (mostly) gone, my day job hours have shrunk back to their normal levels. Which, in theory, means that I can get back to what matters...

Playing with my awesome new sword. And maybe some writing—if there's any time left over.

3. The Patriots are in the playoffs!

It's been a long, stressful season with some too close victories (Saints. Broncos. Browns.) and maddening defeats (the @#$%&^* Jets.) and heart breaking injuries (Wilfork. Vollmer. GRONK! Why, Gronk, why?). I'm kind of glad the Pats have a first round bye. My blood pressure could use the reprieve.

4. Watching Firefly.

That's just what I happen to be doing right at this particular moment. But it's always worth celebrating. Because it's gorram awesome. Until you get to the end of "Objects in Space" and remember all over again that there are no more episodes. Damn you, Fox Executives!

That's going to do it for me today and for the week. I'll be back on Monday, though, with a finalized list of my sure-to-be-successful goals for this brand new year of ours. (Consider yourselves warned...)

Until next time...

51 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Glad to hear you had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firefly always makes it better!
    Good luck to your Patriots.
    And that is an awesome sword and dagger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firefly does make everything better.

      And it is an awesome sword and dagger, isn't it? Very creative.

      Delete
  3. If only there was a way to turn the sword and/or dagger into a pen or pencil, then you could combine swordplay with writing. :)

    Don't you love when you get gifts from people who truly "get" you? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sword would be a bit awkward for writing, but the dagger would probably work. Or maybe I could just carve story-related whatnots into the wall with the sword (if it were sharpened, anyway)...

      Delete
  4. The sword looks really cool.

    Hugs and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who works in retail, I know what you mean! 'Tis the season to be rushed off your feet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It absolutely is. I'm so happy to have some down time again.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad the holidays are over as well. Working in a restaurant means a lull in business because everyone has resolved to lose weight. In a couple weeks it will pick back up once people give up on the resolution. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny—I never thought about how everyone's resolutions affect the restaurant business, but I totally get it.

      I can't wait to give up on my resolution to eat healthier.

      Delete
  7. I'm also thrilled that the holiday shopping season is over. Glad your work hours are back to normal. January is usually a slow month where I work, so I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have a little break to help catch your breath. Enjoy it!

      Delete
  8. Glad you survived the holidays! That sword and dagger combo is pretty darn awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfectly made sword and dagger your niece made! Have fun! The Patriots are my nephews favorite team, however, my hometown team is the downtrodden Buffalo Bills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bills may be downtrodden, but at least they weren't the worst team in the NFL (*cough, cough* Houston).

      Delete
  10. Oh! That's so cool to have your own handmade sword and dagger :D
    I started watching Firefly on Netflix a while back, I must finish it. Even if it was cancelled ages ago. Looking forward to reading your sure-to-be-successful goals! Happy 2014 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year to you! I love Firefly, it's been so long since I last saw it though. Must dig it out to watch again this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good show. Always great to hear from a fellow Browncoat.

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year! I'm always relieved when the holidays are over, too. And wow, your niece made you a sword and dagger? Very, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her creativity never fails to just completely blow my mind.

      Delete
  13. I've only watched Firefly once. I guess it's time to rectify that. I've seen Serenity several times though, always good for a sob at the end.

    That sword is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always watch Serenity after the series end. And the end gets me every single time.

      Delete
  14. Happy New Year! Your sword and dagger are awesome--I'm very jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cool gift. You could put some eyes out with those :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should bring it to work with me...

      Delete
  16. Yea for the holidays being over. I just got my Christmas decorations put away (which snowballed into some other around-the-house decluttering), and if feels so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't put any holiday decorations up, but I agree that decluttering always feels good. I don't know why I don't do it more often.

      Delete
  17. I'm so glad that you're getting back to normal work and not being tyrannized like before. (But at least you have a sword to fight tyrants now!) I can't wait to hear about your goals. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the normal work schedule is so much nicer than that crazy end of the year onslaught.

      Delete
  18. Woot! Firefly!! I'm turning my roommate into a brown coat as best I can right now ^.^ We've made it through Our Mrs. Reynolds so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That episode is a freakin' riot.

      I can't wait to introduce my niece to the wonderful world of Joss Whedon. She'll love Buffy and Angel for sure. Not sure about Firefly, but I'll work on her.

      Delete
  19. Oooh, that's a dangerous looking sword and dagger set you've got there. Be careful not to cut yourself... or get a sliver...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I'm definitely more in danger of splinters than anything, but it's been okay so far.

      Delete
  20. That is an awesome sword and dagger, I'm totally jealous. It is great that your working schedule will get back to normal. Your worked crazy hard. I watched Firefly and Serenity in December, as a way to cheer me up and like you, I felt sad that there were no more episodes. All the best for 2014. I hope this is the year all your dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always watch Firefly and Serenity when I need a pick-me-up. Which is funny when you consider how sad it makes me when it's all over.

      Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
  21. If we ever finish Buffy/Angel with the kids, Firefly is next on the list to go back to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your kids are enjoying Buffy and Angel!

      Delete
  22. Firefly! OMG Now I want to rewatch ;) What a lovely Christmas present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to start a Firefly rewatch at the start of every new year. It's kind of tradition now.

      Delete
  23. Love how the dagger attaches so nicely to the sword, so you're never without the other.

    Soak up the reprieve from tourists and holidays, and oooh, was that a Veronica Mars trailer I saw? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That trailer was great...I'm so looking forward to seeing the movie in March.

      Delete
  24. How I wish I had some Firefly this holiday. I relaxed and organized. I hope the house can keep itself that way through this year. Have a great 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did some organization at the start of the year. Not sure how long it'll last, but I'll enjoy it while it does.

      Delete
  25. The sword and dagger set is so cool!

    I'm glad you're heading into a bit more of a relaxed time at work.

    Good luck with your writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete