Monday, December 9, 2013

Just When I Thought I Was Out

...Management takes away my time off. Again.

I thought I'd be writing today about how I finally have some (well deserved, if I do say so myself, which apparently I am the only one saying so because they took away my time off again. Jerks.) time off because I really was supposed to, but according to Management, I am too indispensable (even with all the attitude) and they can't afford to not have me around this year. True story. (Sadly. But funny how they never seem to remember saying these things at review time.)

I knew I made a mistake not becoming independently wealthy.

Anyway, despite the fact that I've had only one day off since Thanksgiving—and haven't even left on time since...well, since October, probably—the holiday customers coming into The Store have been pretty good, almost pleasant, even. The one exception (you knew there had to be one) was the customer who apparently was too damn lazy to walk to the public restroom a few stores down so decided to just use the fitting room instead.

Thanks, buddy. I truly hope there's a big lump of something in your stocking this Christmas.

So I don't really have any good customer stories for you. But here is my favorite exchange from the weekend:

Co-worker: You write books? Are you famous?
Me: Yeah. I'm incredibly famous. That's why I work here.

So the extended and continued scheduling means that my attempt to get back on track with...well, life outside of The Store has been once again curbed, and this blog has taken the biggest hit of late. I missed December's IWSG post and a pair of Blog Blitzs, not to mention every post all of you have put out there, but this is the first time I've even turned on the computer since before Thanksgiving. And I'm sorry for that. Please just know that it wasn't anything personal. I'll do better in January.

Probably.

Anyway, not that you asked or anything, but here's what else (non-store related) has been going on with me (and some of this stuff has already been on Facebook and/or Twitter, so I apologize if it isn't news to you):

—I won NaNoWriMo. And I did it with three days to spare. I'm still not entirely sure how that happened, but it did, so I am now the proud owner of this following badge:


I ended up with 50,399 words, which means that Second Nature's word count is currently sitting at 195,725 words. And it still isn't finished. This makes me panic a little—but only a little. I wrote a scene that made me cry while writing it, and became concerned that my characters were going to kill me in my sleep because this story has taken a seriously dark turn—and this is coming from me who doesn't exactly write happy stories to begin with, you know? And the mysterious nameless Mercenary Guy took a very interesting and unexpected turn. I'm going to have to devote an entire post to him a little later on (It was scheduled for Wednesday, but The Store ruined that. Maybe next week?) because it was so interesting. At least I think so. It's possible you won't agree. But anyway, I won NaNoWriMo.

—And I just realized that I don't really have anything else to write here. Between my day job and my NaNo-ing, I wasn't doing much else. (My poor family.) How pathetic is that? Anyway, thank you for stopping by today. I always appreciate you taking the time, and I'll try to do better the next time (which, not that you asked this either, will probably be Friday, unless they take that day off away too.).

Happy writing, all.

52 comments:

  1. Congratulations with winning NaNo. That is a big deal. Sorry your days off were taken away. I really think you deserved them too. I admire you for being able to work with people. I had a few jobs dealing with people and I quite after a few months. I am just not a people person, especially the ones that like screaming at you. Don't worry about the rest of us, just take good care of yourself. I bet you are feeling dog tired from being overworked. Please take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a people person either, when it's all said and done, but unfortunately, I'm not all that qualified for the jobs outside of the customer service realm. Fortunately, I have Twitter and sarcastic haiku as an outlet. =)

      Delete
  2. Wow! You finished even with your store demands! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really amazing. I honestly have no idea how I managed to pull it off. I shouldn't have, really.

      Delete
  3. Someone used the fitting room as a bathroom? That's disgusting!
    Sorry you haven't had much time off. You did beat NaNo though - that's very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on winning NaNo. I've written scenes that make me cry. I'm just sappy that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really think I have before. If I did, it didn't stick with me, but this scene did. Does.

      Delete
  5. Well done on winning NaNo. It was looking iffy there for awhile, but you pulled it off, despite your boss's best efforts. And I'm most curious about this Mercenary Guy. Needs a post of his own I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Iffy' is a polite way of putting my NaNo-ing. I guess I just start off slow and finish strong. Or something.

      And Mercenary Guy will get his own post. Probably next week, or as soon as I have the time to write it. Maybe 2014, then.

      Delete
  6. Every time they say you have to work late, or don't get a day off, 'cause you're indispensable, ask for it in writing. Serious - have them write it right out - their reasons for not allowing you a day off. And then when that review time comes in, slam those suckers down and ask them if they were full of shit. I mean, say you have some good letters of recommendation. : p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I don't ask them if they're full of shit, they'll wonder what's wrong with me. =)

      And I have an entire room full of witnesses because #1 Boss said in front of the entire staff that I was "perfect at my job, and the store would not run without me." (seriously)

      End quote.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on winning NaNo! Glad you could get it done despite all the chaos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad, too. And surprised. Very, very surprised.

      Delete
  8. Good for you NaNo. But bad, bad store. I have some of the same issues with The Salon.

    Hugs and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done on winning NaNo!

    Try and take care of yourself however you can - you're going to burn yourself out, make yourself sick, something, if you don't.

    Oh, and you should definitely get hazard pay for people using fitting rooms as restrooms. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      And I'm definitely burning out, and am already sick, but if it gets worse, maybe they'll send me home!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on NaNo! I enjoyed your FB updates throughout the process. Mercenary Guy was my favorite. LOL.

    Sorry about the store. Retail is one of the toughest jobs out there, not to mention mentally exhausting. I hope you get a break soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mercenary Guy has become one of my favorite characters. Completely unexpected. And kind of funny.

      Delete
  11. Well, I hope you're making a buttload of money from OT. Although I think it might be illegal for them to work you that many days in a row? Bah, I don't remember for sure, but something (from my TRU days) is telling me that it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself how much I'll like the paycheck when it shows up, especially since my hours will evaporate in the New Year.

      Delete
  12. I think Andrew may be right about no days off (hey maybe you can sure and then you WILL be independently wealthy :) - just kidding - sort of) and congrats on winning NaNo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on NaNoWriMo! That is great! I understand the mistake of not going the independently wealthy route. I somehow missed the fork in the road, too.
    Thanks for the encouragement. It may happen this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should really make the signs at that fork clearer, you know?

      Delete
  14. Congrats on winning NaNo! If only those jerks didn't ruin the high from your victory. Especially that jerk who confuses changing rooms with bathrooms. He should not be allowed out of the house until he gets them straight.

    Good luck with the rest of the holiday season. I hope you get some writing time in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had about 12 hours of celebratory time. Not too bad, I guess.

      And yeah, I'm with you on the guy who was never properly housebroken. If he comes into the Store again, I will promptly whack his nose with a rolled up newspaper.

      Delete
  15. That's what happens when you get too good at your job. Or it's Christmas season. Or both.

    Congrats on your NaNo win. Christmas is coming soon. Then things will get back to normal... Whoops, sorry. Didn't mean it like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normal? What is this 'Normal' of which you speak?

      Delete
  16. Congrats on winning Nano. The Store didn't take that from you so HA YOU WIN TWICE. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of that. Almost makes up for not winning last year.

      Delete
  17. Congrats on winning NaNo! It's awful that you're not getting the time off you deserve, but your reply to your co-worker cracked me up! I've had people ask me the same thing, but I never came up with a clever answer like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, feel free to borrow it whenever you have the need.

      Delete
  18. HURRAY FOR WINNING NANO!!!!!! And hurray for Mercenary Guy! Because I like him. If only for his name.

    You need a job escape. I could send down some pirates to kidnap you and take you to...France for the week. Month. However long you want to be kidnapped for and enjoy eating pastries while doing whatever you would like to do in the free time you don't have. (Work. Pfft. I'm stating to think it is overrated and we shoudl all just quit. Who needs food anyways?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of pirates coming to kidnap me and take me to France. For a month, definitely for a month—probably even longer because eating pastries and not working sounds too good to pass up. =)

      Delete
  19. Congrats on winning!

    I'm sorry to hear about your time off being taken away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Misha.

      And I probably should have seen the no time off thing coming. I've been there long enough. I should've known it would happen.

      Delete
  20. Congratulations on your NaNo win. I failed once again, I just haven't had the time for it. Next year I'm hoping will be my year though, I'll be on maternity and off work so hoping I'll have time.

    I hope you get some time off to yourself soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winning NaNo is tough. I fell flat on my face with it last year, so really, I was just happy that I surpassed last year's word count.

      Delete
  21. Congratulations on your win. I am sorry about your time off being taken away. I hate it when that happens. I hope you get to take it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...

      And I, too, hate it when my time off is taken away. But I'll get some in January. Probably.

      Delete
  22. . . .They keep pulling me back in!" Sorry, had to finish the line.

    It's great that you won NaNo! And I can't wait to hear about my new favorite character, Mercenary Guy, or you know, MG to his close personal friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He lets you call him MG? I'm so jealous.

      Delete
  23. well, I wish management would share you! :) and congrats on winning. hot dog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ugh, so sorry you lost your time off! I can't believe you've only had one day off since Thanksgiving. Sounds like torture!

    But that's great about NaNo, at least, not to mention impressive. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fame? Who really needs it. Gimme money instead.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm impressed you even attempted NaNo with so much work on. But I sympathize. I often work 14 hour days and weeks on end with no days off too. And then you're so exhausted, when you do get a day off, you're to tired to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on NaNo!

    And it won't be too much longer before Christmas is over.

    ReplyDelete