Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

I've been working a lot lately. Going in early, staying late, and busting my you-know-what in between.

Today is, as a matter of fact, only my second day off this month. Seriously. I have been in such a haze that I barely can keep straight what day it is. What week it is. What month it is.

Wait...Is this still November?

Just kidding. I know it's still November because next week is the shopping weekend to end all shopping weekends. Black Friday. Yay.

But in the short time between Veterans Day weekend (the second busiest shopping weekend of all) and Thanksgiving weekend comes the most wonderful time of the year. The time when Management has gone over on payroll because of the first holiday weekend and therefore has to scrimp and save on payroll in order to have it available for the next holiday weekend.

Translation: I HAVE FIVE DAYS OFF. IN A ROW.

As you read this, my phone has been turned off, placed in a box and buried by my dogs somewhere in my back yard. A two mile perimeter has been set around The Store to prevent me from accidentally being caught in a sinister tractor beam wielded by #1 Boss who, no doubt, will look at the shipping report, see the number of boxes expected and try to do everything in her power to get me to come in. I know she'll do this because I looked at the shipping report, saw the number of boxes expected and then high tailed it out of The Store before anyone could realize what a mistake letting me leave was.

Because I am damn tired. And because I'm going to have to work the following seven days in a row, so I'm going to soak up as much non store time as I can.

With this in mind, here's my agenda for the next five wonderful days in which I will NOT go into The Store:

1. Win NaNoWriMo

I'm just over the halfway mark (25k) and with Thanksgiving coming so late in November, and the weekend running right through to the end of NaNoWriMo, it is imperative that, if I'm going to win, that I do so in the next five days because it'll be virtually impossible to do it in the final days of this month. This will require me to write approximately 5,000 words a day for the next five days. Which will be no problem at all considering my current average is about 1,300 words a day. Yep. Got this thing in the bag. (Ha!)

2. Oh, who am I kidding? Did you see #1? Like I'm going to have time for anything else. Sorry raking. Sorry laundry. Sorry eating. Maybe in December.

3. Okay, well, maybe I'm going to see the Catching Fire premiere Thursday night with my sister. It's tradition. We did all the Harry Potter movies at midnight, and now we've moved on to this franchise. Not sure what we'll do once this one is over, but I'm sure we'll find something. 

4. And if I get all of the above done...Sleep. Because I really am damn tired. 

Hope y'all are doing well, and thank you for stopping by today. I'll try to do better the next time!

58 comments:

  1. I feel really bad for you. I can just imagine how tired you are. Shame, it is not right. I hope you get to sleep and get some rest, because you really deserve it. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can sleep after I win NaNoWriMo. Or December shows up. Which ever comes first...

      Delete
  2. Best wishes on your 5 days of wreckless abandon!!! I know what you mean about trying to finish early!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't answer the phone, don't answer the door, and don't go within five miles of the store! Just write and sleep and enjoy,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my exact plan. Except for the five miles. Two miles is doable. Five miles excludes the bakery where the happy baked goods live, and I'm going to need them. Lots of them.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your five days off! I hope they're filled with lots and lots of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, woman! How are you even typing coherently? Enjoy your time off, and seriously, sleep. Oh, and hire a slave to feed you. ;) Wishing you a speedy race to the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can sleep just as soon as I write 5,000 words today. I have 135 so far, so...yeah. I'll be snoozing in no time!

      Fortunately (well, maybe not fortunately) years of being an insomniac have been great training for this moment.

      Delete
  6. Enjoy your time off! You've got your priorities in order - writing, movie, sleep - so no worries. I mean really, what writer has a clean house in November? Certainly not me. Just ask my husband and the tortoises…. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the right order, isn't it? Not sure my significant other would agree, but he's not a writer. =)

      Delete
  7. Well, there is still talk of re-making all the HP movies.
    Why don't you do midnight for the Marvel movies? Avengers 2 is coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would do that in a heartbeat—and probably will. My sister, however, is not an Avengers fan, so that'll be a solo trip on my part.

      Delete
    2. You're braver than me. I don't think I could do a solo midnight movie. Well... for Star Wars I could, but I don't think I'll have a problem with people wanting to go to that one.

      Delete
    3. Going solo won't bother me so much. The hour and a half drive I'll have to do to get to a theater doing a midnight Avengers showing will bother me a bit more, but for Joss Whedon, I will persevere.

      Delete
  8. Yikes. This is the time of year when I feel heartfelt sympathy and true fear for those who work in retail. You are Retail Warriors, I say. America is holiday crazed and you guys are on the front lines. So, #1, ENJOY YOUR TIME OFF!!! #2, hang in there, and fight the good fight, and #3, it WILL come to an end.

    Good luck with NaNo - try to enjoy it, if at all possible! If you like what you're doing, that's the most important thing - winning NaNo is just icing on the cake :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely come to an end. In January. I love January.

      And I'm mostly enjoying NaNo. I'm just going to be very disappointed if I can't manage a win this year.

      Delete
  9. Well played, MJ. Five days off in a row. Kick some NaNo butt and win that thing. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm going to try real hard. We'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  10. Booyah! Enjoy your time for writing and sleeping. You can beat the NaNo Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes! Your November sounds beyond exhausting. Thank goodness you finally have some decent time off! Good luck tackling NaNo during your free time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good! Ignore this comment and go write up a storm. The leaves and laundry will still be there. If needed, you can start wearing bed sheets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the leaves and laundry have proven time and time again that they will always still be there.

      Oh wait...I was supposed to ignore this comment. D'oh!

      Delete
  13. Thank goodness you finally get some days off. Yes, keep the phone off and yourself out of the reach of The Store's tractor beam. Have a good and relaxing time. You deserve it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexa. And yeah, the phone will not be turned back on until Monday. At least.

      Delete
  14. Enjoy your days off! You deserve it from the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Run far far away before they track you down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a runner. What if I walk briskly away instead?

      Delete
  16. Yahhy... another Store update post... my favorite :)

    Have you ever heard if Boss #1, 2, or 3 has ever read any of these posts.... wonder what they would say :)

    PS.... Enjoy your five days off, and yes get some sleep!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I didn't even tell any of the details from the weekend. You'd definitely enjoy that post. Hilarity and hijinks abounding.

      And I'm going to guess that the fact that I still have a job means the bosses three haven't read any of the store themed posts. Or, if they are, they're laughing and saying "Ha! I'd hate to have to work with those clowns!"

      Delete
  17. You at least get overtime pay, right? Right? That might make some of it worth the work.

    January is coming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I won't hate the paycheck when it shows up. Still, I would have rather had a normal check and more writing time.

      I love January. It can't get here soon enough.

      Delete
  18. I applaud your stamina, but think sleep should be number 1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I really want to win NaNoWriMo! I can sleep in December.

      Delete
  19. I'm glad you finally have some time off! Enjoy the movie with your sister, and get some rest--everything else can wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you get some time off! Enjoy! Have fun at the movie! Rest!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm looking forward to the Catching Fire premier, too. Enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hear you there. I'm looking forward to my four days off for the long Thanksgiving weekend like crazy, and I just got back from vacation a week and a half ago. It's amazing how much life work can suck out of you. @_@

    Best of luck with winning NaNo on your time off. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a job where I can have Thanksgiving weekend off. I should really look into that.

      And I think it's always hard getting back into the rhythm at work after you've been away on vacation. It's probably especially hard when you know there's a four day weekend coming up.

      Delete
  23. Woo hoo! FREEDOOOOOOM (Said like Mel Gibson) Have some glorious, well deserved days off!

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL, loved #2 on your list! I hope you're enjoying/enjoyed your days off - you definitely deserved them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved #2, too. It seemed realistic. And not at all just me making excuses for why I can't do those everyday things that I hate doing.

      Delete
  25. I'm going to see Catching Fire tomorrow with my sister! We went to the midnight viewing of The Hunger Games, but I had to work today and tomorrow, so it didn't work out.

    Get some rest and hopefully some writing done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy(ed) the movie!

      And I have to reverse the last two...get some writing done and then get some rest.

      Delete
  26. Not sure what we'll do once this one is over, but I'm sure we'll find something.

    Two words: Star Wars.

    And keep kicking butt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...neither of us are really Star Wars fan. I'll still go see the movies, I'm sure, but probably not at midnight.

      Delete
  27. Hey, congrats on the time off! Hope you're able to make the most of it for writerly purposes, and that you also manage to get the rest you need!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Enjoy your time off! It's so important to recharge when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm guessing you won nano so I'm congratulating you with this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Here's hoping you won Nano!
    I didn't... But I knew I wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete