Monday, November 4, 2013

Everybody Gonna Be Happy

All right, so despite the title of today's post (a song by The Kinks) I'm not particularly happy at the moment. I know you're thinking "Really? What else is new?" But The Store managed to strike again last night, and I'm starting off my work week in an even worse mood than usual.

But I'm trying to avoid that, or at the very least, minimize that, so today's post is devoted to all the things recently making me happy. This would normally be more of a Celebrate The Small Things Friday post, but I'm in need of it today.

And I'm guessing no one will mind not reading another post in which I lose my mind over whatever Management's done this time.

So here are the things on which I am choosing to focus:

1. NaNoWriMo

Sheer luck sees me actually on track and just a tiny bit ahead. (Very tiny bit) And last night I started crafting a scene about which I am very excited. It's one of those big, pivotal scenes that's a real catharsis for one of the main characters (and, strangely, me). The funny thing is (Well, funny to me anyway) that it's also a scene that didn't exist in my original conception for this novel. It came about from the comments given to me by a couple of critiques on Effigy. I've been thinking about it for a good long time now, and just decided to dive in last night (when I was desperate for 500 words) and see what would happen. And you know what...it just feels right. Not exactly sure what that means for domino effect it'll have on the rest of the novel, but the catharsis really has proven to be too damn vital, so I'll make it work.

2. The Red Sox won the World Series

Yep. Still riding that high. And I really am sorry for all those tweets the night of Game Six. Obviously I wasn't sorry enough to stop at the time, but I apologize if I was overly annoying. You know, more than usual.

3. The Patriots beat the Steelers 55-31.

Of course, I missed the second half of the game because of a stupid staff meeting, but I'm thrilled by the final score. And I have to wonder if maybe I should avoid watching more games. Maybe the Pats score more when I'm not witnessing it. Now I'm conflicted. But if you've ever wondered what it's like to watch a game with me, there's this commercial that The Man says portrays it pretty well:



And in case it wasn't clear, I am Ramsey, and the little dog hiding under the couch is my German shepherd, Big. Big does not particularly enjoy game days because his mommy loses his mind.

Sorry, Big.

That's going to do it for me today...I'm headed off to work. Thanks for stopping by. I'll try to do better the next time...


33 comments:

  1. Surely Big would go for the spilled cheesies! It's awesome that you're doing well with NaNo. I was hooked by a nasty virus yesterday, and today, my mom arrives for a five day visit. My NaNo is going to suffer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, Big would not go for the spilled cheesies. He's actually trained in food refusal, so he doesn't eat food dropped on the floor. And even if he wasn't, he still wouldn't come out. Not until the game was over.

      Hope you're feeling better soon.

      Delete
  2. That's great that you're making progress with NaNo. I wrote a lot on the first day but work kept me from making much progress over the weekend. If only we didn't have to work and could just write all the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping we win the lottery so we can do just that.

      Delete
  3. The game was close until the very end.
    Glad you are making progress with NaNo.
    Don't let the store get you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying very hard not to let the day job get me down. It's been very difficult lately, but I think it'll get better in January. If I can make it that long. =)

      Delete
  4. Ha! That's how I watch football too, only by myself, with the dog cowering under the couch. Sad.

    And congrats on the NaNo progress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually end up watching games alone, too. Apparently, I drive all other spectators away.

      Delete
  5. Sorry you missed it - the Steelers tied it in the third, and then Brady and company put the pedal to the astroturf. :-)

    And I've thought the same about watching games - whenever I turned on the Red Sox this season, they'd immediately start losing. It's one reason why I watched the play-offs on the DVR - after they'd safely won.

    All the best with NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would've been soooooo mad in that third quarter. It's probably a good thing that I missed it.

      And my sister messaged me during one of the games saying "every time I turn on the game, the other team scores!" So I responded with "Then stop turning on the game!"

      I am very superstitious. And maniacal.

      Delete
  6. I'm waiting for the Patriots to get really close to the Superbowl again and once more, have it slip from their fingers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. They have made a very nasty habit of that, haven't they? It does not amuse me.

      Delete
  7. My dogs get freaked out on football days, too! LOL (Thank goodness, unlike 2 year olds, they can't repeat my language. :) Good luck with our NaNoWriMo project! Ahead of the game--at any stage--is something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm eternally grateful that the dogs can't repeat the things I say— in football, and everything else.

      Delete
  8. Sorry work is getting you down again, but at least there are still a few bright spots in your life to focus on. Very cool how you're already a tiny bit ahead for NaNo--good luck staying ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I write this comment, I am already behind again. But I'll catch up. Maybe in December, but I'll catch up.

      Delete
  9. Glad your sports teams are doing well. (Since I don't follow sports and we don't have a football team, I can say this sincerely.) Sorry work is a bear right now. Hope it gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work will get better. In January. Or when I quit. Whichever comes first.

      Delete
  10. Being kind of melancholy at the moment, I don't know that I have a list of things that make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about your family and pets and that really awesome chocolate?

      Delete
  11. I married a Steeler fan. It was not pleasant here last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can just imagine. It probably looked a lot like my house when the Pats lost to the Jets.

      Delete
  12. Oh, poor MJ. I'm glad the writing is going well. I hope it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love looking forward to an exciting scene - happy writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on being on track with NaNo. Good luck with the rest of the month!
    I am always happy seeing the Steelers lose. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. GO SOX! GO PATS!! I lost a lot of sleep and focus and time to those teams this week, too. Well worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck with NaNo! And it's awesome when a chapter you didn't original imagine just really works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does really work, and now I wonder why I didn't have that planned all along. But it's there now, so that is the important thing.

      Delete
  17. Ah, another Red Sox and Pats fan! Living in Budapest, I didn't get to watch any of the games, so I'm waiting for the DVD to come out so I can see how we won the series.

    ReplyDelete